• Announcements

• SNIPER62

64-bit is LIVE   03/27/2020

CHIMM: 64-bit client is now LIVE and Campaign 172 continues!  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
griper

Need some help (buying new rig soon)

9 posts in this topic

Hello.

Im building a new rig and Ím thankful for any advice.

I used to play this game on my brothers computer (he was a temporary resident in my appartment a while ago) but I dont have access to his stuff anymore. Now I am left with my own crappy rig which is too old.

(Pentiurm 2, 333MHz, 256M RAM, Geforce something.

I actually played ww2ol on this machine a long time ago. I sh*t you not!)

Enough with the history lesson, now on to my questions:

1) Should I go with AMD or Intel? Dual Core or not?

I know that Intel can handle faster memory but that AMD CPUs are faster.

I usually dont run to many background applications when Im gaming but does this game "use" both cores or something? (or will it soon?).

2) ATI or nvidia? I know that ATI used to cause more grief for players in this game, is that issue solved now?

3) How much RAM? Should I go for quality stuff or cheap stuff?

4) Any other general advice?

Thanks for any info!

/griper

1. AMD dual core runs sweet with ww2ol, if ya can swing it, if not regular amd64

2. Nvidia, IMHO

3. 2gb DDR400 quality....ram

4. Soundblaster x-fi, x52 joystick, and ch pedals, with a good headset w/boom microphone

Ok, thanks for the answer.

Could you recommend any good mobo for dual core AMDs?

What does "value-select" mean when picking ram?

Here's what I would buy (decent components without stressing the wallet too much):

2x1GB PC3200 DDR (Value versions will do fine, CL2.5 or CL3)

Nvidia 7600GT PCI-E

AMD A64 San Diego 3700+ S939

Thermaltake Big Typhoon CPU cooler

DFI nForce4 PCI-E motherboard, several versions available depending on which features you want (SLI, RAID etc)

Samsung SATA harddrive (quiet, good performance)

Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic PCI soundcard

Koss SB45 headphones

Quality PSU (420W+) and a decent roomy case.

The above system can handle some overclocking too if you want to try that.

On the RAM, go for the good stuff. I used to buy the value RAM all the time but the last machine I built (and am still using) I went with Corsair TWINX CL2 matched pair rated at 2-3-3-6 and I'm really happy I did now. Beleive it or not the difference between CAS 2 and CAS 3 can make a big difference in gaming. Go for 2 Gig RAm if you can, I bought 1 Gig back then and found out my mobo (as many) only supports 2 double sided modules, which caused a problem when I tried to add a third stick of 1 Gig to bring my total to 2. Ah well, now running 1.5 gig and it has seemed to smooth things out a little. But you can never have too much RAM IMHO.

On the graphics card I'd recommend NVidia, they just seem to have less problems with games and get better support both by the developers and the manufacturer in the way of drivers. I'll have to say I have an ATI in one of my other boxes and lately ATI's been better about driver support, but NVidia still seems quicker to respond.

CPU I'd have to say AMD. I used to be a big Intel snob way back, but building systems for people over the years I've been swayed into the AMD camp. I dunno, the AMDs just seem to be better rigs for gaming, but get yourself a good HSF or other CPU colling setup because they do tend to run hot! Although my current system, an A64 3200+ has always run at respectable temperatures for an AMD, so they're getting better about the heat issues.

Thanks for the good answers!

It helps alot.

I think Ill go for:

(one of the cheaper) dual core AMD

2 GB of good memory

nvidia 9700GT

(on the side ecke77, i was born in Övik and lived in svartby/arnäsvall until I was ten)

It's a small world eh? Imagine our surprise when me and a squaddie found out that we lived in the same country, town and dorm building and had managed to sign up to the game and join the the same squad at the same time!

Odds of that happening? Some things blow your mind...

Good luck with your new computer!

If the mobo has good onboard sound then why spend a ton of money on a sound card if you are going too use headphones?

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0