Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mevan

AGP Settings BIOS

13 posts in this topic

Quick question the AGP settings. I have a 256 Vid Card and I have AGP settings from 64 to 512. Every other help site I looked at had a different suggestion on the setting.

Any thoughts?

The common suggestion is to put your AGP Aperture at half of your video card memory. This would mean your 256MB card should be set at 128MB in the BIOS.

That is very commonly the optimal setting for you. However, every site I've seen that's done testing has determined that there's no way to say with certainty. It seems almost random, and with wild results, which setting is going to work best for specific cards with specific motherboards.

With 256mb of memory on your vid card,i'd set it as low as possible [64mb]. I'm not even sure that with WinXP it makes any difference to reserve that extra physical memory as it did with Win98!?!? With everyone running near 1gb of memory anymore & WinXP's memory management system,i seldom hear or read anything about peeps messing with the AGP size. Tho fastwrites & side band addressing are a different matter.

The common suggestion is to put your AGP Aperture at half of your video card memory. This would mean your 256MB card should be set at 128MB in the BIOS.

That is very commonly the optimal setting for you. However, every site I've seen that's done testing has determined that there's no way to say with certainty. It seems almost random, and with wild results, which setting is going to work best for specific cards with specific motherboards.

Interesting, I've always read the opposite, that being your AGP aperture should be set to twice your vid cards memory if your mobo supports it and you have enough RAM instakked. If not as high as you can go (RAM or mobo limit, not to exceed half your available RAM), which is what I've always done and had good results. Have to admit though, I've never tried half the actual vid RAM (primarily because I've never seen it suggested). Will have to try that and see what the results are.

But I think your right on it depending on what hardware combinations your running. What works with one setup does not always work with another. And thats true of any hardware configuration in my experience.

huh my Evga video card came with a how-to for my video card.

Buy EVGA next time lol.

but Evga's guide lines suggested turning off any shadowing turning on side band addressing and setting my apature rate to 64MB.

huh my Evga video card came with a how-to for my video card.

Buy EVGA next time lol.

but Evga's guide lines suggested turning off any shadowing turning on side band addressing and setting my apature rate to 64MB.

Well 3DMark says no difference:

32: 4897

64: 4897

126: 4897

256: 4897

512: 4897

well all that does is allocate and reserve system memory for overflow of the vid card's memory doesn't it?

or does it have something to do with the size of system memory to be used for the transfer of the textures to the vid card memory?

I can't quite remember....

Well 3DMark says no difference:

32: 4897

64: 4897

126: 4897

256: 4897

512: 4897

how the hell did you get the same exact score each time?

how the hell did you get the same exact score each time?

Have no idea. Reloaded 3dMark03 got the same. I did a couple but not all with 3DMark05 ad got 2 exact ratings aswell.

Have no idea. Reloaded 3dMark03 got the same. I did a couple but not all with 3DMark05 ad got 2 exact ratings aswell.

what the fark maybe it's rigged.

mine can differ by 50-60 points from one benchmark to another.

what the fark maybe it's rigged.

mine can differ by 50-60 points from one benchmark to another.

OC's my vid card and boosted it to 5727 so I am getting variable readings. Still have the AGP settings at 32 with no change to the score.

I guess at the end of the day, at least on my puter the AGP setting with 3DMark03 do not seems to play a roll.

Will try different setting ingame tonight and see there.

With 256mb of memory on your vid card,there shouldn' ever be a time that you'd need to reserve physical memory for an overflow. Just think how much overkill 512mb is on a vid card???

With 256mb of memory on your vid card' date='there shouldn' ever be a time that you'd need to reserve physical memory for an overflow. Just think how much overkill 512mb is on a vid card???[/quote']

Yes thinking that myself. And with 1.5 gig of system Ram my bottle neck is not memory as much as it is my CPU AMD 3200 atm.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0