Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nuckles

No connection to server / please help

44 posts in this topic

yes i found that all previous programs before change would stay blocked so i tried the training anyway and actually got a millimetre of red bar before it crashed and I left it for 10 minutes incase of lag in the connection. I then tried the main game from shortcut and the same small red bar before crashing.

Yeah, try opening the ports. This is kinda screwy. It's possible your ISP is blocking those ports. You can call them and ask. It's TCP ports 27015 through 27021.

I have ARES on my computer which is a file sharing program but I set it to the lowest setting before trying to play. If this could be an issue it is gone.

BASIC SYS :

Intel P4 3Ghz, 2Mb cache

512 Mb RAM although 502 showing as free

Intel chipset graphics

Windows XP

Direct X 9.0C

If it loads in offline mode then it should be anything with your system specs. I'd call your ISP and just ask them if any of those ports are being blocked. I'm going to ask someone else to look at this.

I have to go now, I have to rest and then work but I will ring my ISP in a few hours, thanks for all the help, I will check back as soon as I can.

I have ARES on my computer which is a file sharing program but I set it to the lowest setting before trying to play. If this could be an issue it is gone.

You should turn off this software before launching WWIIOL. It may not be the cause of the problems you are describing in this thread, but it will affect game performance once you get everything working.

There is a possibility that the file-sharing program is blocking your connection to the servers. Try launching WWIIOL with ARES completely shut off.

1. It's possible that ARES makes changes to your Windows network configuration to make it run more efficiently. These changes usually involve disabling various "good behavior" options which may negatively impact your gameplay experience.

2. Visit our Downloads Page and download the "Connection Test" application. This is a trivial application that tries to open the same connections that the game does.

3. When you figure out how to open access in your firewall, the game needs you to allow access to TCP ports 27014-27021.

As a gamer, I've been finding that you can combine great virus/firewall protection and great performance with Eset's NOD32. It's cheap, it's got an incredibly small footprint and I've never once had to think "Oh, maybe it's my anti-virus stuff" since switching to it.

That port 139 access you were seeing is probably another Windows computer in your local neighborhood that is badly configured, and someone was trying to "view entire network" and saves you a bunch of your very costly CPU and memory :)

To be honest, you're much better off buying a modem/router with a firewall built in than burning your computer's resources trying to run the firewall. A software firewall is on your computer, it doesn't stop packets coming in, it only stops them getting very far. A hardware firewall stops packets before they get near your machine.

I contacted my ISP about the ports but the lady I spoke to did not know what I was talking about and said she would get there technical staff to contact me which they have not yet.

I removed the ares program as it cannot be completely shut down just reduced.

Same bloody thing happens though, system crashes.

I don't even get server error like most people.

I hope it is the ports when my ISP gets in touch but would ports make my computer die, just totally stop.

Would a router help as it is a stand alone computer with no network and if it will which one is good please ?

I tested and it shows the same everything OK.

TISCALI my ISP stated that there should not be a problem from there end and I should contact DELL but they are shut for the weekend.

I went back into firewall ( McAFEE ) to do a test and I got this message.

The IP address requesting this page is different from the IP address of your computer. This indicates that your computer is behind a proxy or NAT. These devices allow you to access the Internet by relaying traffic, typically from multiple computers, through a single IP address.

We are unable to directly probe your computer, you should take comfort from this. You have that much more protection between your computer and the Internet.

Could this PROXY be an issue and if so how do I change it ?

Test Starting.

Test 1: Auth Pri -OK- 188ms

Test 2: Main Pri -OK- 156ms

Test 3: Main Alt -OK- 140ms

Test 4: Main PingPri -OK- 188ms

Test 5: Main PingAlt -OK- 187ms

Test 6: Main Chat -OK- 188ms

Test 7: Event Pri -OK- 187ms

Test 8: Event Alt -OK- 125ms

Connection tests completed OK.

Hmm.

I want to make sure wwii online got set up correctly. Have you ever used regedit? Go to Start - Run - Type: regedit

Enter/OK

The browse to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Playnet\apps\appid1\instance1]

If you right click on "instance1" in the left pane, choose "export". Change it to a "Text Document", give it a name, and save it to your desktop. Close Regedit, then open that text file and copy/paste the contents. Here is what mine looks like:

Key Name: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Playnet\apps\appid1\instance1

Class Name:

Last Write Time: 3/17/2006 - 2:11 AM

Value 0

Name:

Type: REG_SZ

Data:

Value 1

Name: Exec

Data: ww2.exe

Value 2

Name: Location

Data: C:\PROGRA~1\CRS\BATTLE~2\ww2.exe

Value 3

Name: Params

Data: -serverip $QUAD -serverport $PORT -serverotp $OTP -side $SESSIONID

Value 4

Name: Path

Data: C:\PROGRA~1\CRS\BATTLE~2\

Value 5

Name: Version

Data: Battleground Europe

Thanks for sticking with me here is the result :

Key Name: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Playnet\apps\appid1\instance1

Class Name:

Last Write Time: 23/05/2006 - 05:02

Value 0

Name:

Data:

Value 1

Name: Exec

Data: ww2.exe

Value 2

Name: Location

Data: C:\PROGRA~1\CRS\BATTLE~1\ww2.exe

Value 3

Name: Params

Data: -serverip $QUAD -serverport $PORT -serverotp $OTP -side $SESSIONID

Value 4

Name: Path

Data: C:\PROGRA~1\CRS\BATTLE~1\

Value 5

Name: Version

Data: Battleground Europe

Does ww11 online have an IP address as I think I can enter this manually into McAFEE as a trusted source.

The only difference I can see is yours says:

Data: C:\PROGRA~1\CRS\BATTLE~2\

but mine says :

Data: C:\PROGRA~1\CRS\BATTLE~1\

Does the fact mine says BATTLE~1\ instead of BATTLE~2\ mean anything ?

That's normal. I have two versions of WWII Online installed.

The first IP address it hits is 66.28.224.252 however, I think it gets dispered beyond that...but maybe it just goes to different ports and it's the same IP.

GNASCHE I am really really sorry but when adding the IP address I noticed that in tiny writing at the side half way down was a small, NEW RPOGRAM. I clicked on this and found ww2 online, so I added it and now it has worked but I closed it straight away to tell you the news so you can stop wasting you're time because I am an idiot for not seeing this earlier.

GNASCHE you are the man for taking so much time out to help me.

This does mean for future reference that in McAFEE, if the program is not on the internet list it will not work.

Thanks again and I hope to see you on the battlefield after training.

NUCKLES

Sweet. I searched McAfee's help pages for a while and couldn't find anything about adding programs, so it's not as if they make any effort to bring it to your attention.

Glad it worked and I'll have a little more knowledge the next time someone with McAfee's firewall has an issue.

See you out there.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0