Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
adonis

Recommended virus protection

19 posts in this topic

Hey all, Im currently using Mcafee virus protection but Im not real happy with it. Constantly, while in game, it interrupts with pop ups asking if I want to update. This happens even though I have the updates set to check manually.

In addition to this it "seems" to be a bit a a resource hog. I just checked my running processes and McAfee has seven different things running in the background.

What I'd like to know is if there is a recommended virus protection? Something thats not so intrusive?

Thanks,

Adonis

I don't run a virus scan continually. I just scan once a week. They're all resource hogs, so I just load it up when I want to scan.

Used NOD32 ist great and verry poor recurses use.

Update automaticaly and fast.

Great antivirus.

I don't run a virus scan continually. I just scan once a week. They're all resource hogs' date=' so I just load it up when I want to scan.[/quote']

agreed, Ionly run antivirus when Im downloading or when I plan to surf unknown sites. Then I scan once a week.

Only extra thing I run while playing the game is Zone Alarm

NOD32 from http://www.eset.com/

It prevents more viruses than any checker I've used, it catches everything AVG doesn't, and its designed for gamers, it has a really slim foot print. I've been running it for nearly a year now on 3 machines and it hasn't once been even slightly annoying. Doesn't slow down my system startup. Doesn't make email a pain, doesn't do any of the nasty things virus checkers usually do, and it's all just down to a well designed, lightweight application without a ton of cruft.

All of the support tickets we've dealt with lately of customers infected with viruses or getting automatically banned when the game gets infected have been AVG users. (Edit: That may not be true, I don't see all of the tickets, but all of the ones that escalated past Bloo were)

I agree with the NOD32 users. I currently use McAfee on this computer, but it's only because I'm lazy.

If I was going to pay for an antivirus product, it would be NOD32, at the link KFS1 provided. Tried out the free trial awhile back and liked it a lot -- so there you go...multiple recommendations for NOD32 :)

I've never had a problem with AVG, but do try to stay away from McAfee since it's such a hog. And whatever you do, don't even look at anything named "Symantec". Norton products are like Medusa - if your system even sees one coming its way, it turns to stone.

Symantec CORPORATE Anti-Virus 10.1.0.401

There is a reason ALL the fortune 500 companies around the world use this.

IT IS THE BEST.

And with patch 401 all the holes are plugged so no known exploits now!!!

If you need more info, PM me or email at: robin.roy@yourcomputerguy.ca

Yes, I own a computer service company.

I've never had a problem with AVG' date=' but do try to stay away from McAfee since it's such a hog. And whatever you do, don't even look at anything named "Symantec". Norton products are like Medusa - if your system even sees one coming its way, it turns to stone.[/quote']

You are correct the Home Owner versions under the Norton label are "CRAP", only buy the Symantec Corporate Versions!!

F-Prot update and run once a week.

Same here. F-Prot is so small and simple and it still has one of the best virus recognition rates.

Background AVS is a waste of resources.

If you have a good firewall there is only one way for viruses to get on your system. You download a file and open it yourself. And to prevent that risk you dont need a background scanner.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0