Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
audee

new pc 10fps

102 posts in this topic

I think I have the exact same problem. Although not as good a pc (6800gt, 3GHz P4, 1Gb RAM, 1MBps broadband) It's still a way above the minimum specs.

Anywhere with a half-decent fight going on, my fps is about 7fps, and it makes any good fight almost unplayable, and definitely not fun. Planes are out of the question as whenever i get near an air battle, or even just 1 on 1, my fps slows to a crawl.

Rest of the time it's still never any higher, even alone in a field, than about 25fps.

I've tried Zipporama and Fuze's techniques too, with no effect. Clean install of 84.21 drivers, clean install of BGE, defragged and everything else i've seen/ could think of. But still awful fps.

I would really love to sort this out as i really can't enjoy the game like this :(

I'm in the same boat. About 5/6 days ago, my fps went in the crapper. I've had a couple posts here and on other boards trying to solve the problem, and nothing seems to work. We dont have the best system, but unit 5 days ago we could play with no problems. Now, near town/enemy we drop to about 6 fps and lag/stutter all over the place. I've tried everything anyone has thought of, and nothing seems to work. I just can't figure out why it stopped working for no apparent reason. :(

My 3d-mark-2006 score is around 4600. The fps is very low (+-15) but apparently the global score isn't that bad compard to other setups. (thanks for the link to compare)

Sorry I made a little mistake... After running 3DMark 2006 through, look

at the SM2.0 score ( You get 4 scores #1 Total, #2 SM2.0, #3 SM3.0 and CPU). I thought your score was a little high for a single GFX card :).

Also remeber that in the link they test in 1024*768. While at least in my version of 3DMark you can only set res to 1280*1024.

So your score might be a bit lower.

This is how to replace drivers

1. Download drivers, then reboot

2. Go to Add/Remove Programs. Remove Nvidia software.

3. Go to Device Manager. Remove any related harware.

4. VITALl! Reboot the computer in SAFE MODE (use F5 while booting)

5. Run driver cleaner to remove any vestiges of old drivers.

6. Physically disconnect from the internet; unplug network cable. (This is so windows doesn't automaticly try to use drivers from windows update)

7. Reboot and install drivers.

You might also want to disable any antivirus program you've got running before installing the driver.

I'm in the same boat. About 5/6 days ago' date=' my fps went in the crapper. I've had a couple posts here and on other boards trying to solve the problem, and nothing seems to work. We dont have the best system, but unit 5 days ago we could play with no problems. Now, near town/enemy we drop to about 6 fps and lag/stutter all over the place. I've tried everything anyone has thought of, and nothing seems to work. I just can't figure out why it stopped working for no apparent reason. :([/quote']

Started happening to me alot too.... Then I saw my CPU is running really really hot.... Well, its summer here in Vegas and it gets hot in my apartment.... The FPS problems have seemed to crop up about the time its starting to get really hot out here....

Try getting some air and blow out your dust.... Try to get your system cooler....

The only reason I mention this is because you say everything was fine before, and without changing anything, you started getting problems... check your temps.... you might be running hot....

edit* of course, it hasn't fixed my fps problems.... but its a little less noticable coming into towns....

Are you by any chance using the beta drivers from Nvidia? Using those makes the game a powerpoint presentation. I would recommend the certified drivers only for this title.

I'm currently using rather old (over 3 months) beta drivers from NVIDIA and I don't have similar fps problems with GF7800GT.

This is how to replace drivers

1. Download drivers, then reboot

2. Go to Add/Remove Programs. Remove Nvidia software.

3. Go to Device Manager. Remove any related harware.

4. VITALl! Reboot the computer in SAFE MODE (use F5 while booting)

5. Run driver cleaner to remove any vestiges of old drivers.

6. Physically disconnect from the internet; unplug network cable. (This is so windows doesn't automaticly try to use drivers from windows update)

7. Reboot and install drivers.

OK I went through the routine. No success.

To people reporting in here about low fps in battles, first test FPS OFFLINE and use that to benchmark.

I'm talking about 7 fps offline, even with sound disabled.

I haven't got any antivirus running.

I made a clean format of all partitions, then installed xp from cd and updated until latest update.

I installed all drivers, WWIIOL and 3dmark2006. That's all there is on the machine. It's a virgin system. Strange thing is it was running at 120fps for some time (cf second dxdiag I posted). "The next day" it was stuck at 7 on spawn offline, with 20 after 10seconds (offline). I don't remember what I changed. I have 4800 score on 3dmark 2006 which seems quite good.

I have only one power cable to the card. Only one was in the box. No specific manual was in the box. I have an asus 7900GTX.

My gfx-card temp is:

GPU core temp=69c

core slowdown threshold=110c

So i guess i'm fine tempwise.

I am running without water effects of any sort. Have even tried WWIIOL with lowest settings, viz distance etc to no avail.

Thanks again all. I really appreciate all the suggestions.

edit: nevertheless i will try opening the case and letting a fan blow cool air into it. It is rather hot in Belgium as well atm. :-)

"To people reporting in here about low fps in battles, first test FPS OFFLINE and use that to benchmark.

I'm talking about 7 fps offline, even with sound disabled."

I find in offline i get a similar experience as i would imagine online with no people about. On spawn in only a couple fps for about 10 secs, then it goes up to around 30fps, with the occasional big drop.

This is what i see online really - big fps hit when other people are about.

I think mine is the same problem as yours? With generally lower fps than you'd expect, and awful fps with a few people about? (Although your case seems worse, as your computer is quite a lot better than mine)

I also see no, or atleast very little, difference in fps between max and min settings, online or offline.

And all other games are running fine.

Started happening to me alot too.... Then I saw my CPU is running really really hot.... Well, its summer here in Vegas and it gets hot in my apartment.... The FPS problems have seemed to crop up about the time its starting to get really hot out here....

Try getting some air and blow out your dust.... Try to get your system cooler....

The only reason I mention this is because you say everything was fine before, and without changing anything, you started getting problems... check your temps.... you might be running hot....

edit* of course, it hasn't fixed my fps problems.... but its a little less noticable coming into towns....

so other game deliver invisible cooling service, since i only have problems with this game ? when i look to towns i get 8/12 fps and that is really not enough to enjoy battles. 5 months ago i had min 20/25 fps in huge battles. reinstalled winxp and tried every kind of tweaks.

Also remeber that in the link they test in 1024*768. While at least in my version of 3DMark you can only set res to 1280*1024.

So your score might be a bit lower.

SM2.0 score: 1893 (at 1280*1024)

(HDR/SM3= 2171, CPU=1555)

Is that adequate?

I've been following this thread and I'm not sure still what the right answer is for you. But, in 3DMark06 your total score was 3600ish? Can you run 3DMark05 as well?

I get about 5300 on 3DMark06 and 9880 on 3DMark05 -- I have a 7900GT that I"ve overclocked to a GTX (650/1600), I've also overclocked my 4200 to 2.67Ghz which skews my results -- I'd imagine on 3DMark05 you'd get around 8000 or so. I would think in 3DMark06 you'd hit somewhere around 4000-4500 given your current setup. So you might not be that far off.

P-

But, in 3DMark06 your total score was 3600ish? Can you run 3DMark05 as well?

I get 4800-ish.

Will try 05 asap.

I just compared my 3,5 year old machine (P4-2800; ATI X800PRO; 2Gig) and it has 40-50 fps offline mode (with old drivers and no optimization whatsoever). Thats double of what my new rig delivers. Talk about bad roi :-(

thanks for your stats btw.

edit: 3dmark 2005 score=6012

edit: 3dmark 2005 score=6012

I get better than that with my XP3200+/X850XT PE/2GB. 6149 I think without overclocking...

Hmmm...6000 seems low to me on 3DMark05 --- because our systems arent' that different. I'd expect more around the 8k range.

Just a random thought, when you right click on the little nvidia logo in the taksbar and look at the image settings, they are all marked as "Application Controlled" correct? You're not sneakily selecting 4x AA or 16x AS?? I'd imagine your removal and reinstallation would have fixed that though.

Another test you might do is switch from 32 to 16 color and see what impact that has on your frame-rates as well.

Some other things to check:

- What's the power rating on your PSU?

- You have the power plugged in directly to the card? I think the GTX requires 2 seperate power plugs. My GT requires two seprate 'independent' PSU plugs.

- After all these checks, it might come down to 2 things, either something might be faulty on the GTX card, or your mobo bios either isn't supporting the card correctly or has some incorrect settings. For example, my Asus board required a bios update to correctly support the 7900GT board.

P-

Another test you might do is switch from 32 to 16 color and see what impact that has on your frame-rates as well.

Some other things to check:

- What's the power rating on your PSU?

- You have the power plugged in directly to the card? I think the GTX requires 2 seperate power plugs. My GT requires two seprate 'independent' PSU plugs.

- After all these checks, it might come down to 2 things, either something might be faulty on the GTX card, or your mobo bios either isn't supporting the card correctly or has some incorrect settings. For example, my Asus board required a bios update to correctly support the 7900GT board.

P-

AA and bells and whistles all off.

Will try 16bit colour.

What do you mean with power rating on PSU? My power supply is 300 W.

Strange Gnasche was mentoning two power cables as well. There was only one cable supplied with my ASUS 7900GTX. Should the card work at all if not all required cables are hooked?

There was a leaflet with the card but it was not specific 7900GTX. I will check asus site again to look for hint of 2 power cables.

I did restore the bios to default settings after I had switched off onboard sound. I don't know which settings might impact the GFX-card performance though.

If the card is faulty, I wonder:

1. Why it would work at all.

2. Why it did work right after I installed it (120 FPS offline), and why did it work the first time I reinstalled the nvidia drivers. Of course it could have broken down while in my pc.

edit: this is my card:

http://usa.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=2&l2=6&l3=0&model=1062&modelmenu=1

Can't find info on powercables.

Could your voltage settings be wrong for the video card or maybe a memory timing issue?

Where can I check/change voltage settings?

With only a 300w power supply you may need more power.

Voltage settings are somewhere in your bios settings. Check vid card manual and see what it should be set at.

With only a 300w power supply you may need more power.

Does this mean I can also test this by removing the soundcard from the mobo? (instead of increasing supply, lower the demand)

did you build this system yourself. Most prebuilt systems with similar specs I see have at least a 400+ w power supply. You can try removing the sound card and see if that helps. But in the long run I would get at least 420-450 w power supply

No its prebuilt acer E360.

Only things I added are the xfi and 7900GTX (came with an X700 originally).

No difference with XFI removed btw.

OK, we might be making some progress here. First off, 300W is not very much power. Matter of fact, look at this card:

http://www.bfgtech.com/7900GTX_512_PCIX.html

All nvidia manufacturers have to build to the design specification, so your Asus card isn't really that different from the BFG card. BFG sometimes does a few tweaks to beef up the cards, but the power requirements are similar. They recommend at minimum 400W PSU, and if you keep reading, when using 2 cards 500W PSU, so each card might suck up around 100W.

Here's something you can do to see if it's your power supply. You can download one of the many system monitoring programs, or sometimes new motherboards come with an application to do this. Most of these have a voltage reader for the CPU and the PSU and the output of 12V 3V 5V, etc... What you want to do is see how stable your voltage stays when the card is being used. Minor swings in voltage are normal around .06v, like my CPU swings from 1.375 to 1.41 -- no biggy. But, if you run the card and see some major voltage swings you might be suckin the life out of your PSU.

On the recommendation about voltage to the graphics card, I've never seen a bios that specifically measures gfx slot voltage. Most of the voltages in bios are references to RAM, CPU core, and PCI, but not specifically a read of the voltage going to a specific slot.

Memory timing would lock the machine, you can always run Prime95 to test your memory ad nauseam.

Now, you asked a question on why it would work, and now it might not work and how could that be a faulty card. Which leads me to another question, how hot does your system get?? What's your CPU temperature range, and what are the temperatures the board is reaching under the nvidia control panel? The 7900 series cards have a power throttling chip to protect the circuitry of the board in case temperatures get too high or voltage is inadquate or to high. In some 7900 boards there is a faulty BIOS that prevents the 'regulator' from resetting properly. You can do a google search on 7900GTX and Thermal Throttling to get an idea of that particular problem.

Given all that you've mentioned so far, I'm leaning towards not enough PSU power that's making the board throttle or an overheating case that's doing the same.

P-

I've installed Smartdoc 4,86.

Unfortunately it won't monitor the power, even after i've installed the enhanced driver.

Temp is fine though.

I can't succeed in making smartdoc monitor the power. Can you recommend a (free) tool to do this?

also: imagine psu-output is my prob. Will replacing it with 500W solve my prob?

Or will power throttle still be an issue then? (sry but the thermal throttlong google brings up forumtalk which is too techy for me to fathom)

Hey mate, i fixed my problem, which sounds quite similar to yours. I think it was a power issue (although i don't know why BGE has only recently suffered). I'll describe what i needed to do, just in case yours is similar. (Also cleaned shed-loads of dust out of the processor fan, but i don't think that was the problem...)

My power supply has like an extra 4-pin plug to make it into a 24-pin plug rather than 20-pin (I think the 24 pin is needed on motherbaords using a pci-e graphics card, for the bit of extra oomph it must need). However i didn't have this extra 4 pins plugged in, as when i originally tried i done it the wrong way round :P.

I'm guessing you have a similar power-shortage problem, since we seem to have had the same symptoms, either due to a plug mix up (If you're possibly as stupid as me) or just that the power supply isn't supplying enough voltage to power all your components properly. (I think 300W is just not enough to power all you have in your computer properly, i would recommend getting yourself the 500W supply mate).

So now everything runs so much better. lol, its been in there for a year, only using part of its potential.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0