Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
audee

new pc 10fps

102 posts in this topic

Yea, 500w should be good, I run the 4200 with the 7900GT at GTX speeds with 2 disk drives, floppy, DVD, sound card, and 2GB with a 480W PSU -- I would suggest you buy an Antec, as they tend to be the one of the best, you get good supply to multiple rails.

Worse case, it doesn't solve your problem, but at least you're running your system on an adequate PSU vs. what you have now, which I would say is about 150-200w under what you need.

P-

Tried the latest nvidia drivers as well 84.56 and 2-3 tweaked drivers..i have in town in many situation really only 8-12 fps and thats really not enough to play sometimes.

I just wonder, since i got almost half a year ago on average 20-25 fps in huge battles :(

I will reinstall my whole winxp if i have time and hope that this will fix it, otherwise i cant and dont want to play with such low framerates.

UPDATE

i reinstalled 4x my system, everytime with different settings and drivers as well tweaks.

nothing improved the fps and with every type of system i get only 6-10 fps in heavy battles as infantry. i was also driving tanks i.e. panhard and one opel exploded only 5 m away from me..got almost a slide show.

since i did not have any problems some months ago this year and got on average pretty good fps, i really dont know whats the problem

i guess its the game itself and something changed, since i install my system like iam used to it and dont change any significant.

anyway iam curious how will work it for the thread starter, good luck..iam waiting for a next patch and will watch the forums if performance gets improved, its just unplayable for me with such low fps.

pentium 4 3.0 ghz

6600 gt

audigy 2

1,28 gb ram

To the guy above:

I found that before 1.23, my pc could handle BGE fine, even though i didn't have the power supply connected properly (so not enough to power all my components fully i guess). But recently i had been getting awful fps in battles, just as you are. Fixing this has caused this game, and all others to improve no end.

Went from ~6fps in big battles to ~30fps.

I think they must have changed something somewhere to require some component(s?) to require more power to them?

If yours is a pci-e card, check you have a 24-pin plug connected to the motherboard. (That the big socket on the motherboard is completely filled by its plug.

Or perhaps your power supply isn't a high enough rating for all your components?

I'm going to a friend's house next wednesday to connect a new PSU.

If that doesn't help, we're putting my 7900GTX in his comp to check effects.

He says that powershortage usually resets or crashes the machine. I don't have these symptoms but will try nevertheless since what you all pointed out is the only obvious recourse left.

Thanks all for the help. I will report next wednesday on my findings!

What do you mean with power rating on PSU? My power supply is 300 W.

whoa whoa whoa..... whoa...

hold on there 300w.

crack the case open and look at how many amps are on your 12v+ rail. Nothing and i mean it less then 18a on the 12v+ rail/line.

xconnect3%20022-8x6.jpg

see where it says +12vDC. then below it says 34A

what does yours say?

Get a nice Antec 500w power supply. It's worth it.

When I built my gaming rig 2 yrs. ago, I put all the components together, fired up the board... and nothing happened. After much pulling of hair I figured out that my generic power supply that came with the case was not up to the task.

I got an Antec 450W PS and VIOLA! Everything sprang to life.

And my video card is the older FX series which doesn't need as much power as your new one.

I'm not positive this will fix your issue, but it's a great start.

see where it says +12vDC. then below it says 34A

what does yours say?

Mmm got two:

+12V2 says 14.0A

+12V1 says 8.0A

Mind you I live in Europe so thats on 220V. (don't know if that makes a difference)

Anyways it's 300 watts which is indeed well below min specs, which by experience in IT are always too low estimates in the first place. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed for wednesday's test. If it restores my fps I'm getting 500 or more watts.

My PSU model is FSP300-60THA(1PF).

Nothing and i mean it less then 18a on the 12v+ rail/line.

Sorry I don't understand.

Unfortunately no success with a very powerful PSU (680 watts I believe, suited even for SLI).

Voltage readings on 5V and 12V rails are OK on my 300W PSU (we measured it with a meter, not with software)

Benchmarks on 3Dmark2006 were 5050. (more or less OK)

Strange thing is that 3Dmark2005 underperforms significantly with 6200'ish points.

Next step=put 7900GTX in other PC etc...

I will post any new tests/results.

ALSO: In your motherboard's BIOS settings, DISABLE "COOL N' QUIET"!!

This is the cause of a lot of problems with AMD cpus in gaming.

The problem is being narrowed down. This is a likely candidate. Apparently I can't disable it with my mobo though.

Anyone had any problems in WWIIOL of which he/she is absolutely positive they were caused by this feature (CnQ)?

I haven't read the entire thread but if your CPU is an AMD, did you reset the clocks speed in the BIOS? First run of the CPU AMD underclocks for temp protection.

I haven't read the entire thread but if your CPU is an AMD' date=' did you reset the clocks speed in the BIOS? First run of the CPU AMD underclocks for temp protection.[/quote']

I did reset the bios to default settings prior to the low fps.

Can you be more specific about what setting I should particularly look for?

Yes, that's a very good question. You're running a 4200, at what clock speed? 2.2GHz? what's the FSB/HT Multiplier set at?

Seems we've almost exhausted everything....and noticing the difference between 3DMark06 and 3DMark05, leaves me to think that the only plausible thing left might just be the CPU (WWIIOL is very CPU intensive as well). You could be in a position where the CPU is underclocked and can't keep up with the GPU. Why I say this, is that 3DMark06 should run about 1FPS on the CPU benchmark for most machines, so it has negligiable impact to the total score. 3DMark05 on the other hand can have CPU tests that hit 10-20fps, so a much more significant impact of CPU on the total scores, hence if 06 and 05 are very close, like you're showing, it's points a strong finger towards the CPU.

Go google and download CPUZ and run that on your system. It'll pop up a window with a few tabs that will tell you everything about what your CPU is doing and memory timings.

Yes CNQ can cause problems, it's buggy and there are a lot of motherboards that have had issues with it especially for gamers. It's goal is to lower voltage and clock speed when the computer down't need them to reduce power requirements and lower fan speeds.

P-

Unfortunately this fps problem is why I used to play, tried to play again during the "Welcome Back Soldier" promotion, but will not play for the time being. Getting between 4-10 fps makes this game a computer rendition of the damnation of Sisyphus. It's unplayable, and I still did not see large scale battles taking place.

I am not experienced enough with computers to check, install and modify my drivers and cpu, and I can't afford to create an entire rig to just play WWIIOL.

This game is a great concept, and I am disappointed that more can not be done to create a smoother game experience. If these fps issues were resovled I'd wager that hundreds of players would jump in and play, me being one of them.

Good luck to everyone.

Good luck to everyone.

Thanks.

I did have decent fps with current rig at some point (120 offline). So I'm not giving up on my tech issues yet.

As far as general performance is concerned, I agree with what you're saying although up to 1.23, I've been having decent fps with my old rig (P4-2800, ATI-X800pro, 2Gb). 1.23 however, killed the game on my old rig. 1.24 promises general performance improvement. I've seen it happen with 1.22 (It might have been 1.21) so I'm hopeful.

Make sure:

a. You have the sound card selected by name,

b. You don't have more active sounds selected than your sound card supports in hardware,

c. You have the latest drivers for your sound card,

d. That you don't have 3D sound enabled on a RealTek or AC97 device.

Audee I just made a new system, and had the same result as you. I was getting better FPS with my old computer.

I fixed my problem mainly by Updating my Bios drivers, got up to date Drivers for my Motherboard, most importantly my AGP drivers. As it turns out the AGP drivers for my MB that come on the disc are terrible, and on OCWforums they said that you really had to replace them for good performance.

Anyways after following OCW's suggestions for my motherboard I am up to 70fps, where before I was getting around 10fps in battles.

I run an ASRock 939Dual-SATA2, GF6600 GT, 2 Gig RAM, SATA2 HD, and have ww2ol in its own partition at the front of the drive defragmented.

Maybe you should check out OCW and see what suggestions they might have for your motherboard, they cover alot of hardware there.

http://www.ocwforums.com/bbs/index.php

Good luck

I think default settings do underclock the CPU. Look in your manual, BIOS for Memory Speed...200 for 400 DDR memory and a multiplier of about 11. Default settings are very slow.

I think default settings do underclock the CPU. Look in your manual' date=' BIOS for Memory Speed...200 for 400 DDR memory and a multiplier of about 11. Default settings are very slow.[/quote']

Unfortunately there is no manual (with bios-info/explanation) in the box. Nor is there bios-manual downloadable from their site.

I will check these settings asap. I looked before, but I have no idea which settings are "normal".

will set them to 200 - 11.

thanks

I didn't read your CPU memory specs in this thread. Somone needs to confirm those speeds BEFORE you input them. Someone?? Looking at the frist page

I read the first page and your drivers at 8/04 and 10/05. Those cannnot be up to date,Gnasche? New comps are newer uptodate..you did install the drivers and did not rely on the dealer? Your DXdiag shows a dual core 4200 running at 2.2gig, did you change to default values after running the Diag?

I assume this has been said before, your low fps is not the fault of ww2ol. Something is very wrong with that Hot Machine. FYI..your monitor is set for 60hz refresh which is windows default value. Won't change your fps much but Control Panel, Display, Settings, Advanced, Monitor and raise the refresh rate.

Your DXdiag shows a dual core 4200 running at 2.2gig' date=' did you change to default values after running the Diag?[/quote']

As a matter of fact I did.

I assume this has been said before, your low fps is not the fault of ww2ol. Something is very wrong with that Hot Machine. FYI..your monitor is set for 60hz refresh which is windows default value. Won't change your fps much but Control Panel, Display, Settings, Advanced, Monitor and raise the refresh rate.

Well it has not been explicitely said before, but to me it was clear quite soon in the testing/fixing process that the cause wasn't WWIIOL. 3Dmark2005 score was way too low as well.

However, the good news is that I got the fps back up to standard +-120 offline. I still have to test for longer time online. I made one sortie and despawned after a few seconds. FPS were OK but it seems I CTD'd after despawn. I think I saw some posts in here about that issue so will check later. I will play/test thoroughly later when I have time.

The thing that finally restored my fps was a bios-update. I couldn't really find the settings people were recommending me to check/change, so I went ahead and updated the bios with a more recent version.

I included my current dxdiag here. I installed the latest drivers from NVIDIA, which have caused issues for some. But since it now works, I don't dare change it anymore to 84.21 :-)

Anyways I want to thank the WWIIOL community and all who have followed and posted in this thread!!.

Ya it sucks that the manuals these days don't provide much more then basic info, not much on the Bios stuff. Generallly though you'll get the best info on bios settings by going to overclocking sites because if you want to properly overclock you need to make sure all your bios settings are tweaked for optimal performance. One good point they made in the OCW forums is that Auto settings tend to mean "slower" or "safer" so if you want to get the best performance out of your system you will generally have to take the time to find out what specs your hardware has and then make sure any relevant bios settings are set to use just that value.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0