Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Enigma

CTD, CTD, CTD, Freeze Ups, CTD, CTD, CTD

50 posts in this topic

Have you tested your RAM with memtest86? (google it).

Does your windows ever show blue screen of death?

I am doing the memtest thing now. It is at almost 200% and it has found nothing.

I USE to get Blue sreens of deaths, some talked about memory, other use to talk about kernels. But since my new format i get none of that.

My graphics card is a RADEON 9800XT AGP, it is not that old.

And yes, all my fans are running.

you should let the memtest thingy run for the night. Some times the cause can be a slightly too low voltage for the ram modules, and will not show up in a 10 minute test.

Now, I'm not saying you should play with the voltage settings if you don't know what you are doing (i.e. used to overclocking and stuff), but you _might_ research if others with the same motherboard and the same RAM type solved similar problems by upping the voltage by one notch. (Usually done in the BIOS).

Check the following links for pointers on how to test & configure your system.

Some of them are about overclocking, but they also discuss ways of testing for stability.

It looks like that motherboard comes with an "AI Overclock Tuner" option that is default on. You could try to go into the bios, and select "Fail safe settings" or some such, or at least disable the auto-overclock features.

http://forums.rojakpot.com//showthread.php?t=5962

http://tweaknews.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=12692&sid=1e8687ebc767d0b0c17abbece9fdf479

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mainboards/display/asus-p4p800e_8.html

you should let the memtest thingy run for the night. Some times the cause can be a slightly too low voltage for the ram modules, and will not show up in a 10 minute test.

Now, I'm not saying you should play with the voltage settings if you don't know what you are doing (i.e. used to overclocking and stuff), but you _might_ research if others with the same motherboard and the same RAM type solved similar problems by upping the voltage by one notch. (Usually done in the BIOS).

I went out ate lunch and came back and it had an error. It says:

Mermory error detected for word pair$ 78808344, values 224385869, 2243748013 do not match

See the online FAQ (http:///hcidesign.com/memtest) for advice on what to do next.

It found that error at 400.7%

I guess I do this now?

Unfortunately, due to variations in CPUs and chipsets it is impossible to reliably locate the physical chip that is failing purely via software. If you have more than one SIMM/DIMM, you can isolate the faulty one by elimination. Run the machine with one memory board installed at a time. When errors are found the installed board is at fault.

If each board tests OK in isolation, the problem may be with your motherboard or BIOS settings. If you have several memory boards and all fail when tested in isolation, it is even more likely that you have a motherboard problem. It might be a hardware failure, incorrect RAM timings, or an incompatibility with the brand of RAM you have. Contact your motherboard manufacturer for help.

Yep swap out the sticks run the test, and go get you oil changed, running it a quart low, jeez

Okay 1 ram stick out. I THINK running the memtest will be enough, correct? or do I need to go play WWIIOL and see if I CTD?

File version: 1, 23, 6, 255

Program compile time: Jun 9 2006 12:25:45

Date and time: 7/26/2006 23:45:02

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Exception: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION

Exception: continuable

Exception address: 0x0044b6b7

Exception tried to: read at address 0x000000b4

Exception Registers:

DS: 0x00000023, ES: 0x00000023, FS: 0x0000003b, GS: 0x00000000

EBP: 0x00f8ca48, ESP: 0x0012fa58, SS: 0x00000023, EIP: 0x0044b6b7

ESI: 0x00000000, EDI: 0x00000000

EAX: 0x001bd56d, EBX: 0x00f8ca48, ECX: 0x001bd56d, EDX: 0x00f975e0

I am also having ctd's and black screens with this exact same error word for word and number for number.

I have a 7800 nividia card 91.31 series drivers and all other drivers are up to date.

reloaded the game after complete wipe of it, plays for about one hour and crashes. got one new stick of 1gig ram tried it by itself and still crashes.

btw the way wwii is the only game that crashes all others are ok (wife has many games she plays and no trouble with them).

Also tried the DEP thing with no luck and have. And anything else i could find to try by internet searches includinf MS and Google.

Okay, so I plugged in stick 2 and I MIGHT have not put it in all the way before I turned it on... I turn on my comp and I smell an eletrical fire. I turn off my comp asap and then I take out ram stick#2. (Remeber ram stick #1 is not in at all).

I let it cool off and I plug ram stick #2 in another ram hole (The one I was using was hard to put stuff in because vid card was in the way. I get it in there start it up and says my comp is not able to overlock (never got to windows). I turn it off replace ram stick#2 with #1 and it works.

So it looks like:

ramstick #1=Errors found on Mem tests

ramstick #2=Completely farked.

Try stick 2 again with "Failsafe defaults" in bios and AI Overclocking turned off.

Try stick 2 again with "Failsafe defaults" in bios and AI Overclocking turned off.

Well...

The fire, i saw smoke, is this going to do any real damage? Everything seems fine except for ramstick #2 not working.

Sry meant stick 1.

You may have fried stick 2.

Edit: As far as I can see that asus board tries to be clever and auto-overclock the hardware based on god knows what.

That is generally not something you want, before you know everything works in their spec'ed state.

Sry meant stick 1.

You may have fried stick 2.

Yea I don't want to risk it.

With ramstick 1, i have no overlocking issues, it starts up fine, so I just want to confirm, I still want to edit the bios?

EDIT

Thank god my motherboard did not burn :o

yes.

Even if the computer isn't complaining about it during post, doesn't mean it doesn't fluctuate a teeny tiny bit.

All it has to do is miss a single stay-alive pulse and the bit is flipped.

Changing that part of the bios probably makes it *more* safe for your components.

When overclocking hardware you are generally lowering its life-expectancy. (But since lifeexpectancy is many years, overclocking it abit will only take away perhaps a few months.)

As long as memtest shows errors on stick 1, don't even bother trying to start the game.

Its just going to end in tears ;)

What? No!

Your motherboard is fine, and your RAM may be fine too, but its being stressed by an optimistic setting in the bios.

well smoke and burning smell are never good when talking about electronic circuits.....:(

What? No!

Your motherboard is fine, and your RAM may be fine too, but its being stressed by an optimistic setting in the bios.

Woa ****, what do they make these things out of? :o I thought plastic burnt fast :D

Okay, I put the burnt ram stick into another slot and it seems to be working. I also went into my bios and found the AI overclocking when I went to change it had:

Standard

Auto (What it was on)

Overlock 5%

Overlock 10%

Overlock 15%

etc

I PUT IT ON STANDARD. I hope this is right.

As for turning on failsafe i never saw that option anywhere. Going to do another memtest.

I just played for an hour and no ctd. I removed one of the sticks and that seemed to fix it. I had HORRIBLE lag, but I will buy some new ram (new set of 512s) and that should be the end of this horrible problem :D

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0