• Announcements

• HEAVY265

New Forum Lead!   11/17/2019

It's with great pleasure to announce B2K as the new Forum Lead.   I am very confident he will be good for the forums, he has great ideas and direction for the future of the forums.
      Good luck sir and GOD speed.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
killer

Recruitment idea poll

58 posts in this topic

Hi folks.

I want to float an idea here and get some feedback on whether you folks would use this.

Since we know the game is a team game, and it's a whole different experience in group/squad I've been thinking of ways to change the game from a default solo experience for new players to a default group based experience from the first login.

The idea is this....

When a player first logs in for the first time, why should he not be dropped stright into a squad and see that as the default way the game should be played?

This would involve the following...

Each squad would have a litle check box for accepting recruits under the squad tab in the UI, if you don't want new players don't check the box. You would also have a couple of other things like langauge spoken etc. to help match up new recruits.

If you do check the box, then when a new player logs in, with the same language translation set on his client, and there are 6 or more members currently online in your squad (and presumeably others), and his persons fits (pilot, Navy, Army) he's dropped into your squad when he chooses his first persona and message is sent to him saying he's been assigned to "xx" squad.

A message is sent to everyone in the squad that a new recruit has been assigned, and he can use the new UI to quickly get to the place and mission the squad is on.

I believe this could really help new players get with experiencedgroup and drastically shorten their learning curve, be a lot more fun, match up people of different languages withothers they can communicate with and be better for the game by promoting beter teamwork and tactics.

The most important question we have here is how many squads would participate or accept new recruits, and would it be worth our time and effort to do?

Discuss and thanks...

Not a bad idea,but in all honesty an updated Player Guide would probably help also.Most people help out and answer Noobs questions from the start,but a lot are clueless

Just my opinion

Sounds like an excellent idea.

Some revisions I'd suggest:

TWO IDEAS

idea #1:

Maybe instead of automatically dropping the new player into a squad by letting custom settings automatically assign him...

...instead, maybe put new recruits into a "lobby" with a real-time list of currently active squads in the game (with players logged in), arranged by number of players currently logged in, what language the squad speaks, and of course what branch the squad operates in (ground, air, navy).

The player can then click on the squad of his choice (perhaps choosing a squad based on how many players or where they are operating), and click "Join this squad"....he will then be waiting while a designated squad leader (maybe the highest ranking member of that squad currently online) gets a pop-up informing him of the recruit's request to join the squad. That squad leader can then accept or decline the request.

If the squad leader accepts the request, the recruit is automatically transferred to the mission briefing of whatever mission currently has the highest number of online squad members spawned in.

If the squad leader rejects the request, then the recruit may not send another request during his current session; he can only ever request to join the same squad again after he relogs (to prevent request spamming and to discourage players from hopping from squad to squad).

idea #2

An even better idea, IMHO, is to fundamentally CHANGE the way squads work to make them a bit more loose, dynamic, open, and fully integrated into gameplay (as opposed to just private "clubs" of players).

- Squads will have special rank/score points sharing; so that if one member of the squad kills someone and gets 5 points, perhaps every single member of the squad online gets 1 point (or some predetermined percentage).

This is a practical incentive for people to play in squads.

- Squads will also have gameplay advantages; perhaps if you cap a radio in a flag building, you will get increased capping speed if a member of your squad is in the building with you; this speed bonus increases with more squad members in the same building up to a certain limit (to prevent insta-capping). Also, spawning on a mission which is being led by a squad member will give you increased rank/score points via a multiplier or something.

This is another practical incentive for people to play in squads.

- Now, after making PRACTICAL GAME-BASED INCENTIVES for squad play (as opposed to subjective notions like "its better to work as a team"), you have created "carrot and stick" lures for recruits (and any non-squad affiliated player) to want to join squads of his own free-will.

- The standard MMO practice of "LFS" should probably be used; it's a proven mechanic used in virtually every MMO out there.

What I mean is that perhaps there should be some option that non-squad affiliated players can click that says "Looking for a squad" or "I want to join a squad"; this lets other squads know that this lone player is eager to join a squad. The player then has an identifier in his name tag (such as "LFS") that is clearly visible to all players around him. He may then be invited to join an active squad in real-time by whatever player is designated as a "squad leader" (as previously mentioned, perhaps by highest-rank); the squad leader clicks an option, and the lone player becomes a member of the squad.

Well the idea was to have this passive as possible, and not require squad players to have to go anywhere or do anything, as that's tended to be a bad way to do things. Players are caught up in battle and I think if they had to have a lobby or something to go to a lot never would.

New players really don't know anything, and after a taste they could always leave the first squad and use a LFS tag, we do want to add that regardless.

I'm just thinking that for me anyway, as a new player never having heard of the game I would actually expect to be assigned to a unit when I entered the war, like a real soldier would.

As well it leaves the players and squad with nothing more to have to do than see the message and say "hey spawn on our mission, we're over here, follow us, and duck!" when they want new members.

Game based incentives for squad play are going to come, but not without a total rewrite of both the mission system and the scoring system to support them which is also rising toward the top of our to do list.

Good idea. Personally my squad wouldnt participate as we prefer to come to you and ask you to join us. I do know of many that would be more than willing to do this on the Axis side.

Passive and exitable for the player is a good idea. BKB takes every newbie we can work with. Betting our CO will check the box. Newbies usually work better in the squad than some vets;-)

I understand that its practical and cost-effective to do this passively; also less complexity = less potential for bugs, less dev resources needed.

HOWEVER, while I understand the lobby idea might not be great on second thought, I think more fully integrating squads into the game and making it completely up to the players is the best long-term solution.

What I'm saying is, what it boils down to is that you have to give squads a concrete game-based reason to exist other than just notions of "teamwork is better and more fun". Well, I think you underestimate the laziness or the casual lone nature of the vast amount of potential subscribers out there. What if they don't give a damn about teamwork, they just want to spawn in, shoot a gun, and kill things?

Well, then you should give them concrete REASONS to join a squad; rank/score points benefits, capture benefits, etc.

I mean really, as of right now, why do squads even exist?? I can join a brigade and find teamwork among lone-wolves who see no reason to have long-term ties to any group of players. I was a member of two squads (one axis and one allied) for more than a year and now I'm a lone-wolf. I really don't have any personal need or desire to join a squad right now.

One thing I've seen over the years is that new players (in this and in EVERY MMO) are driven by a desire to gain points, to rank up, even if they don't necessarily get kills or do well.

Give them the carrot and stick to join squads, give squads real concrete advantages in the actual game mechanics (points-based advantages, caputre bonuses, etc) and take squads OUT of the offline world and INTO the game world; no more squad keys or anything like that. Just clicking in the game and you join a squad.

EDIT:

As a short-term solution I'm for your idea, Killer. We've all been playing long enough to know that experiments are worth it when first-impressions on potential subscribers are so important.

- There's no negative effect whatsoever on current subscribers; they will have nothing to complain about.

- Giving n00bs a gentle system-assisted shove into a squad might finally end the #1 problem this game has always had with new players; that they're confused and have no idea what to do. This makes or breaks a potential subscription. Putting them into a squad the way you say can only help make that problem go away. If they ever decide to leave the squad, they're free to do that. Our playerbase on the whole generally is more than willing to help n00bs out, and this will be an efficient way of making that contact less complex and more viable. And anyway you're right, it keeps with the expectations of a "virtual military" very well.

RE-EDIT:

I recommend putting this in the Barracks forum as much more people visit that forum.

Could be a very good and workable idea..It sure would help new players to learn because there is a very sharp learning curve to this game..I belive BKB would be interested in this....

Good idea, with or without modifications and improvements.

Suppose a new player knows someone here, and specifically wants to end up in their squad. Or, the opposite: he knows someone here and doesn't want to end up in their squad. Might be good to be able to accommodate that preference.

If the first squad matchup isn't happy, how will a re-match be handled? It's going to happen, and there should be zero negative connotation to moving around to find the best match-up.

Will there be a means of communicating a particular squad's play-style and game attitude? For instance: "we have fun by playing aggressively, taking tactical responsibilities seriously, and using real tactics--prior real world military experience is welcomed"; or, "it's a game, we play for fun, and drinking and BSing while playing is perfectly acceptable." Two totally different approaches, both 100% OK, but not likely both suitable for the same candidates.

Heres an idea I had put into another thread:

What we need is a part of this game site (or official link to a 3rd party site) that has a database of squads where you can enter in certain criteria such as:

• times of the week you are most likely to play
  • types of fighting (defence, attack, supply cut, resupply, strat bombing, fighter sweep, etc.) you like/don't like
  • types of units (tanks, planes, inf, boats, big guns, etc) you like/dislike playing
  • side/country preference
  • native language
  • country you live in
  • whether you like/dislike using voice comms
  • a priority ranking for play types (example: infantry is most important to me, boats are least)

And because the squad's members have filled in appropriate feilds the database can tell you what squads fit your needs.

Maybe even have it so that once you submit your info an email is sent to the recruiters of all the squads that match your criteria, giving any squads that actively recruit a chance to nab your noobness.

Maybe this could be a kind of "registration" that you have to fill out before your first load the online game. because you have filled all this in, when you first load the game the designated recruiter for each squad your criteria matched has a message telling them you're there and you get a list of the squads that matched your criteria that are presently online. You can then click on their in-game squad squad pages (squad tab) to see what each one is doing and who's who in them.

What do you think?

Well the recruit would always be able to leave, and have a LFS tag, or be recruited away in game or go join a friends squad etc.

The 6 people online is just a number, but we wouldn never drop a guy into a squad that isn't online, and 6 seemed like a number that would have some activity going on.

Basic question remains, would your squad check that box?

Or maybe whats needed is dedicated training squads made up of well-connected, experienced players who newbs are automatically assigned to who show them the ropes. Once they feel confident they are no longer "noob" the training squad helps them get into a squad that suits them.

This idea gets complex because you'd need specialized squads for inf, air, armor, and navy and possibly even country-specific ones.

I hate to say it, but I think the "brigades on the map" should have actually been Brigades OFF the map, and instead been bringing official squads into the game, where you have to be part of some kind of squad (brigade). Then, within brigades would be squads of smaller groups of players.

The hierarchy of players could and should have been official and democratic (meaning brigade and squad leaders are elected). Brigades, and under that squads, should have been groups of players, not groups of units because groups of units don't do anything, groups of players controlling units do.

Is CRS totally committed to staying the BOTM course?

I would love to answer, Killer, but I am not in a squad because I don't know how to find a squad that fits my criteria, as I play in fairly small chunks of time throughout the week.

I am looking at it from more of a recruit point of view.

I think it's a good idea, not sure if my squad would use it though (617 Dambusters) due to the fact we do/did strat bombing which is a bit too complex for your regular newbie.

The newbie should have the option of choosing what type of squad they join as someone just interested in Navy play could be auto recruited into an air squad. Therefore squads would have to have some boxes to tick which describe their role in game, and likewise the nwebie should have boxes to tick which describe what his gaming style will be and then these should filter out inappropriate squads.

Selecting country/state of origin would also be a good idea, as a british person may want to join a UK based squad, but be dropped into an Autralian/USa squad just because they speak English.

I'd put 40 Commando up for this.

We actively look out for green tags and help them out. We've even recruited players knowing that they're just on for a 14 day trial as we know it's the best way for them to learn the game.

No thanks, lonewolf at heart here. The hardkore squads I was a member of in the past are just that... a thing of the past.

I was very disappointed upon returning to one of my old squads to find out they were nothing more than a group of players who, mainly, play as individuals.

Forced squad play is simply not the answer imo. The mission system is what lacks. How many missions can we post outta the same Depot/AB with the same mission? Too many.

Consolidate this mission system first imo, then maybe look towards forced squad play. If forced squad play is the only option remaining, then please allow players to /leave squad at their own discretion. Nothing more unsatisfying in this game than playing alongside a group of deadbeats.

Well ideas are fine..

But please answer me if your squad would use this feature before ya comment.

hehe, well I'm not in a squad but if I *was* and it was up to me, I'd use the feature. I support the idea.

Personally, I like the idea. My guess is that the Iron Wolves would agree to do this. We're pretty commited to helping new players already, as it's part of our Code of Conduct to do so. We're also a Combined Arms Squad that is involved in all facets of the game which means we already train our new players in all Axis avatars, so most new players will find us able to help them with their questions. We're also pretty active and usually have a presence in the game 24/7. It seems like a natural for us imho.

I've informed our CO of this thread and hopefully he'll comment here when he has the chance. ;)

I think it is a pretty good idea. I would give the recruit the option of opting out of the squad log-in. Also you might want the newb to to know if the squad is playing ground, air, or sea.

I can't speak for anyone, but I think this is an excellent idea. IMO the lack of an ability to organize players into defined "groups" or "units" on the battelefield is something holding the game back dramatically. Although, this is not the exact solution for this problem, it will help funnel players into squads and hopefully encourage more team oriented play. As well, recruits definitely need to be linked up with experienced players, and I beleive you are correct that the less hassle it is on the players, the more eager they will be to help out.

BTW Killer.. sorry to hijack, but I was wondering if you could share any thoughts on this idea posted by Rexxor in the barracks on "dynamic combat units"?

http://forums.battlegroundeurope.com/showthread.php?t=119175&highlight=Dynamic+combat+units

Sorry , Yes the 9th-lag of the 5th inf bde of the British army will sign.

Was just pointing out that the 6 online was a bit much (imo) and of course you cant drop a player in a squad with no one home.

I also am not in a squad, but as a lone wolf I would join an "official orientation squad" and even do stints commanding. Not that I would want to do a lot of teaching in-game, but just to be in an organized group that new players defaulted into. With a button in the UI to instantaneously join/leave the official squad (of whichever persona I logged in with), it would be useful not only to orient new players, but to find a good organized battle when I wanted it.

I think my squad would sign up for this feature.

I'd make some modifications, though. Scale the number of recruits assigned to a squad based on the number of established squad members online. If there are less than 10 squad members online, teaching/organizing more than two recruits would be difficult and disruptive.

Also, have the check-box for accepting recruits easily accessible in the game to at least CO and XO's, and possibly Recruiters. If a squad is training or having an online ceremony, they may not want recruits disrupting things.

LFS tag

Brilliant!

We should probably ask Bable to put the "auto-accept recruits" on the to do list at the next squad summit.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0