• Announcements

• HEAVY265

Attention Soldiers Operation Fury Needs you!   02/20/2020

Attention All Soldiers, Operation Fury needs you.  You need to choose a side and sign up.  
      For more intel on Operation Fury Please click HERE Please go to Special Event Forum (here), And sign up for allied or axis.
      This will be a CRS Lead event on both sides.  Xoom will be heading up the axis side and Heavy265 will be heading up the Allied side. This will be for bragging rights.
      Why are we asking players to sign up you ask. We are trying for a role play experience.   We want this to be a true realistic event.  
      So get up and sign up and let's make this the best event ever!!!!!!!!!!
      Give me your war cry, grrrrrrrrrrrrr
      Heavy265 **out**
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
klesh

Is my GFX card dying?

25 posts in this topic

Good morning. Got a strange one here.

Last night under normal playing conditions my screen went crazy. Little digital lines started appearing vertically on the screen, with green bits and purple and whatnot. So I figured something was up with the game, logout. Still doing it. Restart machine, still doing it. Figured I'd deal with it tomorrow (today) so turned off machine. Start up this am, still doing it.

Hooked monitor up to another machine, its not the monitor.

I uninstall ATI drivers, reinstall, still doing it.

Uninstall ATI drivers, DriverClean it, install ATI, still doing it.

Uninstall ATI drivers, DriverClean it, install Omega drivers, still doing it.

Uninstall Omega, DriverClean it, run for a bit with nothing, after a bit, still doing it.

"It" that its doing is very strange. Machine might run fine for a few minutes, or restart doing 'it' immediatly. Even as I type now I'm having trouble as there are purple and green stripes on my screen, I'll see if taking a digital pic of it works to show you what I mean.

itkn6.jpg

That sort of issue might go away if I restart the machine, but it returns within a few minutes of playing with programs. It might be there immediatly when I restart. Letting it sit overnight (cooldown) seemed to have no effect.

Now as I'm working here with firefox, I notice that when I switch tabs, the glitches almost reset themselves to a 95% clear screen, and slowly start to corrupt the image till it looks like that pic or worse.

Im trying to narrow down where exactly the problem is. But since it seems to happen even with no drivers loaded (meaning Im running on onboard video, right?) I can't seem to figure where it might be. As I said, monitor works fine on another computer, crystal clear as usual.

Any help narrowing this down would be great. Help!

I had same thing happen a year ago on my gigabyte 6800gt, suspect thats memeory failure, anyway it was under warranty and I got new one :D

your card is fooked. trust me...it's the video card.

i had a NEW 7900gtx die on me JUST LIKE THAT less than a month after i got it, so i REMEMBER those lines well. lol

save yourself the trouble...stop trying to figure it out...go get yourself a new video card. you'll thank yourself later. (i kept fooking with mine for 2 days HOPING i'd find another cause, but in the end, it WAS the video card.)

Crap, I hope you guys aren't right. I'm totally in the 'spend 2 days trying to figure it out mode' right now. :D I so don't want to get a new card, because it will require a new powersupply, and for the same money I could make the move to pci express. Problem is I was planning on making that move later on when I had the money to do it right and get a whole new system. Argh.

I reinstalled the Omegas, and have been using internet explorer and it seems to be doing okay. I know firefox just updated itself last night, I'm praying they screwed something up.

I have had this card for over 2 years though, I suppose it has served its tour.

I had same thing happen a year ago on my gigabyte 6800gt' date=' suspect thats memeory failure, anyway it was under warranty and I got new one :D[/quote']

You mean the card's memory, or the system RAM?

Right on, I believe you guys. Whats wierd is not I am managing to run pretty smoothly, IE & Omegas. Been figiting around for about 45 min no problems. Ran a few virus scans... Im going to see what happens ingame shortly.

Hmmm, just tried the game. Problem presented itself immediatly. Closed game, screen and everything goes back to normal... hmm

Okay restarted the game, different deal. It looked fine untill the readyroom screen, meaning I got about 1 minute of good looking game out of it. Alt+tab to IE and IE looks fine.

Here is a question: When I removed all the ATI drivers and software and everything from the machine, that means I am then running on onboard video right? If the problem is the card, why was I still having the issue when not using the card and using only onboard video?

Here is a question: When I removed all the ATI drivers and software and everything from the machine' date=' that means I am then running on onboard video right? If the problem is the card, why was I still having the issue when not using the card and using only onboard video?[/quote']

No it doesn't mean you were running on onboard video.

The vast majority of motherboards out there don't have onboard video capability, and anyway, *think* about it:

The cable from the computer to your monitor was coming from.......where?.....

From the video card right?

If you were using onboard video, the cable would have to be coming from a video-out port on the back of your motherboard.

By uninstalling the drivers, all that means is that the video card is recognized by windows as a "standard VGA display adapter".

Windows knows it's a video card, and it loads its own default display settings for it; but since it doesn't have the manufacturer specific drivers, it will load nothing else; so your max resolution and max supported colors will be extremely low because windows has no idea what the capabilities of the card are.

....and BTW, yes I'm fairly confident this is a video card problem.

corrupt memory is 100% likely' date=' go get a replacment under warrantry.[/quote']

Corrupt RAM? I dont have any warranties for any of my stuff.

Corrupt RAM? I dont have any warranties for any of my stuff.

Corrupt system RAM will never cause visual anomalies like the one in the screenshot.

I think he meant VIDEO RAM; meaning the ram chips on your video card.

Right, thanks for the clarification.

I just spent a harrowing mission ingame flying a 110 in LSD whirlwind mode. I am sad.

Have you tried reseating the card? Checked to see if the fan on the vid card is running or is clogged?

I had this issue with my 6600 but it went away when I installed different drivers. It has never happend again with what you have posted. At first I thought it was bad RAM on the video card, so I went to the manufacturers web site and e-mailed them about it. They said it was the drivers that were causing the problem. I then tried some older drivers from Nvidia and it worked perfectly. The next build for the drivers from nvidia also fixed the problem.

I had that with a Radeon 9700. It might be heat related. Although, I couldn't fix it on mine and junked that card.

The card's overheating, I would guess. You can get ATI utilities to monitor your graphics card temp, bet that's it. Same thing happened with my 9700 Pro. Made me mad, so I bought a 6600GT. In my particular case, it was the fan specifically.

Well I just fired her up after sitting overnight cooling down. Wham-o, problem occurs right off the bat. Seems to be getting worse too, I can barely see what I'm typing right now, so please excuse any mistypings. Last resort it to check the seating like oldzeke said, but some of you may recall my gfx card debalce thread, in which I had tried to replace this thing about 2 weeks ago. I had the case open, cleaned it all out, and took out the card to replace it. After the debacle aspect, I put the old card back and it ran fine for these last two weeks.

Seems like alot of websites are out of stock on 6800gt's, anyone have experience with comp parts and ebay?

I think you have AGP if I remember, best buy AGP is 7600GT and you might even don't need to change power supply, but that is up to you to find out.

GL

Rahsaan, check and make sure the fan on the card is working. The fan on my Radeon 9500 Pro died and I made a new one out of a CeleronA heatsink and fan. If the fan is running, take the card out of the slot, blow the slot out with some air. Then remove the fan and heatsink from the video card, scrape off any remaining heatsink compound or thermal patch and put some sort of new heat compound on it (like Artic Silver). Replace the fan and heatsink, put in back in the motherboard and try it out.

I think you have AGP if I remember' date=' best buy AGP is [b']7600GT and you might even don't need to change power supply, but that is up to you to find out.

GL

Hmmmm didn't know they had AGP 7600GTs...

Best AGP card out there is the 7800GS AFAIK, but it's VERY expensive and honestly just not worth it.

This looks pretty decent-

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814143045

Okay guys I have another question. I remembered my old rig still has its old card in it. Im talking OLD. It might not even play the game, and if it does it'll be horrid, I know, but right now I cant play at all and its better than nothing. Problem is I have no idea what kind of card this is, make or model or anything. How can I find out what it is? I can't imagine you guys can ID it from just a few pics right? Its a VisionTek card, but man its got to be from like 2001, 2002. I doubt I'd be able to even get drivers for it? Should I even bother?

My 2 cents is that the card is overheating.

The symptoms and screenshots you provided are in my experience a heat issue. Why now is a different question.

Two things to check:

1) your gfx fan is working correctly and DUST FREE (when did you last blew the dust out of your system?

2) your case has adequate airflow to cool the memory on the board. (airflow is so underestimated these days).

I have a radical test you can try that is very safe: If you happen to have a regular house fan, or better, a vaccuum cleaner, remove the case, set the fan or the vacuum close to your video card (tie things down first), run the PC with the fan or vacuum on, see if this makes a difference.

The airflow generated will immediately tell you if the problem is heat related, or hardware.

Cheap way to test. Just note that I sucked in a connector once using this technique :)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0