Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jon1937

Sound Card upgrade

6 posts in this topic

I just got a computer which is running 'on board' sound. The MoBo in it is an Abit KN9 SLI nForce 570. The way they describe the sound is HD Onboard 7.1 Audio.

I'm not really unhappy with the performance of the new machine because it runs three times the fps as my old machine, and more than adequate to play the game. But, I've heard people touting the new sound cards, so I'm curious. What would be the likely effect if I added a Sound Blaster X-Fi? Anyone ever tried it and have the before/after fps?

Thanks.

Sorry I`ll hijack your thread but can someone recommend me a cheap ~50€ Soundcard? My Realtek onboard sound doesnt do so well in this game anymore.

jon1937,

By using oboard sound you're basically taking a heavy chunk of motherboard and CPU resources; don't be fooled by fancy descriptions of "HD 7.1 audio".... Onboard sound is ALWAYS inferior to modern sound cards.

I have the exact same onboard shound chip and I just have it disabled in my BIOS settings.

I'll also tell you this; I have an old SoundBlaster Auidgy 2 and the difference in performance from onboard audio is like night and day.

A top of the line X-Fi card will give you a decent FPS boost.

In fact, I'll make you this guarantee:

I am absolutely 100% positive you will have increased performance by using an X-Fi soundcard instead of your onboard audio

I am also confident you will have superior sound quality (though that can be subjective).

Thanks Xanthus. Since I only have an Ath 64/X2 4200+ it sounds like moving all that computing to a sound card would be worthwhile.

The least expensive X-Fi model will allow the game to run at 128 sounds with minimum CPU cycles impact. Our current understanding is that the game currently has no code that will take advantage of the additional memory and functionality of the higher-priced X-Fi versions, so there is no reason to move up to them unless you want the additional control panel and remote control, or the more precise convertors in the most expensive model.

AFAIK, all of the readily available soundcards other than the X-Fi series have hardware capability for only 64 sounds, and will utilize CPU cycles if the game is set to 128 sounds. Of course, that is likely to matter only in crowded areas...but that's usually when you need all the FPS you can get.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0