Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AHWULF

rat interview

16 posts in this topic

I am preparing some questions for Rick and Sebastien (Jaeger) on what they are working on and what it will mean to the game. Maybe next week or so sometime Gophur will publish it. Hopefully I can translate the techtalk into stuff you all understand :-)

Bug them big time about use of Altivec :)

Big deal on PowerPC type processors you know. Is it used? If it is, to what degree?

Also how they can cope up with a ever changing, moving type system giving zero respect to backward compatibility?

Sounds great. Staff/project snapshots like that are always exciting.

If it's too edgy to go in the Forums or the newsletter, maybe it could go in somebody's blog.

The Mac Future.

Universal Binary First along with Jaegers performance enhancements meet todays requirements.

Under 10.5 there will be virtualisation (Improved bootcamp). Is the future mac as a UB under intel or just as a pure intel (windows) version.

RickB - has been quiet - heard rumors he is hard at work on some sort of terrain modelling or new engine. What the scoop. We need those Jaeger routines for so many players to run the game at reasonable fps (Mac and PC alike).

Gophur - what is the big Christmas surprise !!! - Hope it is a really good one. We have seen many improvements but I really feel the players patience is wearing a little and a great new direction is needed to avoid playerbase burnout and repetition.

Remember never gives clues about stuff that is 12 months away as this really is a long time in the gaming worlld and most need the small bits of hope first.

I have sent some questions this evening, so we'll see answers soon. I told them to be technical and I will provide a human translation.

good evening apples, I don't venture in here very often but I rememer reading this thread a few weeks ago and figured I'd ask if we're getting the interview?

Well, Gophur decided it was too early to discuss some of the answers so it won't be happening until at least after 1.25.

I don't suppose they/you could leave out the "what it will mean to the game" part as I assume that's the part gophur means? and just write down what they're working on?

1.25 is't very exciting for me as I pretty much only fly so it would be nice to read about something else than that (1.25 and toes that is).

Well I got answers from Sebastien in German but the stuff he's working on won't happen now until the new game engine, the old engine is *way* too old. So Gophur thought it best to wait until more likelihood of actually seeing some of it. When I visited Rat HQ I did see the new OSG based engine, but it doesn't do much showable yet. If the Rats could just pay for 3 or 4 more coders and artists ... the most amazing stuff would happen ... sooner.

OSG = Open Scene Graph = http://www.openscenegraph.org/. It's a powerful modern 3d toolkit that makes building a game engine mucho easier (that is, once you learn all the functionality, which is not easy). This is my favorite of the demo pages: http://www.openscenegraph.org/osgwiki/pmwiki.php/Screenshots/MALL3DVRII. Rick and Martini and working with it. All I saw was a test with Speedtree 4.0 showing the offline test area under OSG.

Another example of what OSG can go:

ls_geoisle_1_big.jpg

And

ls_city4_big.jpg

As to the performance improvements, the jury is still out on the intel version (last patch was fubar again). The other improvements will have to wait for (1) the new engine - Sebastians stuff goes there (2) or Leopard. Once I have a stable beta version I will try running it with Leopard, to see what the multi-threaded OpenGL does.

OSG = Open Scene Graph = http://www.openscenegraph.org/. It's a powerful modern 3d toolkit that makes building a game engine mucho easier (that is' date=' once you learn all the functionality, which is not easy). This is my favorite of the demo pages: [url']http://www.openscenegraph.org/osgwiki/pmwiki.php/Screenshots/MALL3DVRII. Rick and Martini and working with it. All I saw was a test with Speedtree 4.0 showing the offline test area under OSG.

Another example of what OSG can go:

ls_geoisle_1_big.jpg

And

ls_city4_big.jpg

As to the performance improvements, the jury is still out on the intel version (last patch was fubar again). The other improvements will have to wait for (1) the new engine - Sebastians stuff goes there (2) or Leopard. Once I have a stable beta version I will try running it with Leopard, to see what the multi-threaded OpenGL does.

Are you saying OSG might be available for ww2ol? er viable?

A number of Rat and knowledgeable-Rat-helper comments (including one that you just quoted!) have suggested that RickB's been working toward an OSG implementation (i.e. Unity II, the new version of the Game Engine) for months now.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0