Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tuck

new processor, same frames...

17 posts in this topic

system thus far:

amd 4200 x2, 4 gig of ram, 7950x2, and win xp.

i upgraded my cpu yesterday to an amd 4800 x2...got it home and as it was late, threw it together and got in game just to see how the frames looked before headed to bed. logged into a good sized battle, and the frames were neither better nor worse...they stayed the same. wtf?

now, granted i didn't have time to muck about with a lot of settings and all that...as all i did was install a new cpu. anyone have any tips as to where i should start to bring it up to snuff?

surely to God i should be getting better frames with a 4800 as opposed to the 4200, shouldn't i?

Download and run 3dmark06. And save the ORB (the result) to the webpage, I want to take a look at your performance, that way I can tell if it runs as it should or if you might have a bothleneck in your system and we can continue from there.

What Mobo and memories do you have?

system thus far:

amd 4200 x2, 4 gig of ram, 7950x2, and win xp.

i upgraded my cpu yesterday to an amd 4800 x2...got it home and as it was late, threw it together and got in game just to see how the frames looked before headed to bed. logged into a good sized battle, and the frames were neither better nor worse...they stayed the same. wtf?

now, granted i didn't have time to muck about with a lot of settings and all that...as all i did was install a new cpu. anyone have any tips as to where i should start to bring it up to snuff?

surely to God i should be getting better frames with a 4800 as opposed to the 4200, shouldn't i?

Was your old CPU dual core or single core?

Going single-core to dual-core will net you some performance improvement, but in terms of raw speed, going from a 4200 to a 4800 was a complete waste of money.

I'm truly sorry, I mean no offense.

I guess you just don't understand that going from a 4200 to a 4800 is only a difference of a few hundred mhz....it's a difference you could've got by overclocking a little bit.

A 4200+ is 2.2ghz

A 4800+ is 2.4ghz

In other words, instead of spending the $200+ for a whole new processor, you could've went into your BIOS and done a mild overclock of 0.2 GHZ!!! You could have EASILY accomplished that without any special cooling or extra power; the 4200s are actually really good overclockers too.

So instead of spending all that money, you could've just spent 10 seconds in your BIOS settings.

Again, I mean no offense, but you completely flushed your money down the toilet on what's basically an IDENTICAL processor.

It's not really your fault, AMD's naming system is a bit confusing....calling things 4200s and 4800s....

For example, if you only knew the names alone you probably wouldn't know that a 4400+ is 2.2ghz and a 4200+ is ALSO 2.2ghz!!!

They both have EXACTLY THE SAME SPEED; the only thing is different is that the 4400+ has a larger L2 cache size, which is the reason it has a higher number name.

AT BEST, your FPS difference would be marginally better. Other than that, your new cpu will have NO major noticable improvement whatsoever.

You should've done your research or asked around. :(

great. figures. i'm a retard...i admit it.

and no offense taken...i just wish like hell you'd seen one of my other posts where i was talking about doing what i did. lol

the reason i went with the 4800 was because i thought the 1 meg L2 cache would make a noticeable improvement in the frames, as opposed to the 512 of the 4200.

shoulda known. oh well...good thing is, i can send it back within 7 days.

now the question is this...what WOULD make a noticeable improvment, as you appear to know what would do the trick. ;)

L2 cache size doesn't have a significant impact on your raw framerate, no matter what anyone tells you.

Your best bet at this point, since you already have this new processor, is to stick with it and go from there.

First off, 4800+ is NOT a bad processor by any stretch of the imagination. Is your performance "bad"? Have you tried using SSE2 mode? You should be using SSE2 for maximum performance with that processor.

Other things that could be bottle-necking your overall performance- video card and RAM. You have a good CPU, so a low range video card will definitely lower the potential FPS you *COULD* have.

In many cases, if you have a crappy video card it literally wouldn't matter WHAT cpu you have, you would never have a performance increase because your video card is preventing you from having the potential FPS you *could* have.

Even my 7900GT is bottlenecking the performance I *could* be having with my Core 2 Duo.

I'm not sure what video card you have, but I'm just putting it out there for you to know.

Aside from all that, just try some good ol' fashioned overclocking.

Go into your BIOS and look for options which will allow you to overclock your processor. Look for a multiplier setting, or an FSB setting; these can be increased to overclock your processor. Before you do any of that though, get back to us and tell us what settings you see in the BIOS. Best not to change anything unless you're 100% sure.

EDIT:

DOH, NEVERMIND!! You have a 7950GX2!!!

Ummmmmmmmm what are you complaining about again??? Your FPS should be EXCELLENT. I have a 7900GT and my FPS *never* goes below 25-30, I have all settings to maximum!

Nothing wrong with your hardware at all! Are you telling me you get bad FPS with that system??

Have you tried this?

http://forums.battlegroundeurope.com/showthread.php?t=133360

nope...not getting "bad" frames...just not as high as i thought i should be having.

my frames range anywhere from 50 - 90+ down to mid 20s in heavy battles in cities. just depends on the direction i'm looking and how many objects are being drawn.

i have the game settings all the way up, minus the post render filter (don't like the way it looks), water reflections and shaows. i also have my card settings at mid range points on both the aa and whatever the other setting is, and graphics set to quality. i also have the sse2 or whatever it is on as well.

as far as overclocking goes...i've never really thought about it, because i know as soon as i do something will go belly up and i'll have hosed my warranty on the cpu...besides, i wouldn't really know how to do it anyhoo, as i'm a retard when it comes to that kinda thing. hehe.

How can you tell where a system is bottlenecking? I would like to increase my system performance but would like to know what needs to be upgraded. Any suggestions?

yeah...BUY MORE RAM! hehe

on a serious note...post your system specs and then someone can give you an idea.

Tuck, is your memories single sided? that means do you have Integrated Circuts on only one side? Most likely you dont, that makes your memories to run 2T Command Rate, its Latencies and affects performance on AMDs systems. You will most likely gain read/write and access times by running 1T.

So how do you do this you might want to ask? Its simple, but may be depressing, since you have yet again waisted cash on complete unnecesary equipment. Take two sticks out and run the game with 2 gig of memories. It probably will boost performance.

Ok if you or anyone else dont belive me, you can test this hands on easily. Download and install Everest home.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Info/Everest-Home-Edition.shtml

Run it, Under memories, or Benchmarking. you can start testing your memories. you Shoud get something like 6000Mb/s read, and 3000mb/s write. And accesstime 60Ns

and try do the test with 2 sticks

nope...not getting "bad" frames...just not as high as i thought i should be having.

my frames range anywhere from 50 - 90+ down to mid 20s in heavy battles in cities. just depends on the direction i'm looking and how many objects are being drawn.

i have the game settings all the way up, minus the post render filter (don't like the way it looks), water reflections and shaows. i also have my card settings at mid range points on both the aa and whatever the other setting is, and graphics set to quality. i also have the sse2 or whatever it is on as well.

as far as overclocking goes...i've never really thought about it, because i know as soon as i do something will go belly up and i'll have hosed my warranty on the cpu...besides, i wouldn't really know how to do it anyhoo, as i'm a retard when it comes to that kinda thing. hehe.

Well, one more thing is to try to turn off OpenGL threading or "threaded optimization".

http://forums.battlegroundeurope.com/showthread.php?t=133360

May or may not help.

How can you tell where a system is bottlenecking? I would like to increase my system performance but would like to know what needs to be upgraded. Any suggestions?

Post your system specs and I can give you my humble analysis.

yeah...BUY MORE RAM! hehe

on a serious note...post your system specs and then someone can give you an idea.

Seriously Tuck, read my previous post, you have bought so much ram, lol 4gig, it decreases your performance, read my explenation with Command Rate timings. And for the lub of gawd perform the test I explained. You might get shocked gaining performance by taking out two sticks and use 2 gig of ram, but Im sure this will happen.

as far as overclocking goes...i've never really thought about it' date=' because i know as soon as i do something will go belly up and i'll have hosed my warranty on the cpu...besides, i wouldn't really know how to do it anyhoo, as i'm a retard when it comes to that kinda thing. hehe.[/quote']

That's the best thing, you don't lose warranty, they have no way of telling was it overclocked or not :)

Tuck is right,your memory is as important as the cpu and gpu. not just the amount,but the performance as well. corsair xms series will get you some 400mhz 2-2-2-4 latency dual channel memory,as opposed to slower 3-5-3-8 and 4-4-4-12 latency bargain memory.for my next upgrade,i have my eye on the new asus mobo m2n32 SLI,which combines the amd processor with 800mhz ddr2 memory.

I went a weird way, 3800 SC with 2 GB of CL4 800Mhz memory 7900 GTOC. The reasoning is that I spent $140- to get going then can pick up something like the FX-74 two years from now when it's cheap and I'll still have a system that can feed the beast.

Drop in good to go upgrading.

That's the best thing' date=' you don't lose warranty, they have no way of telling was it overclocked or not :)[/quote']

Please tell me your kidding? They do and will tell you if you OC'd your CPU.

Seriously Tuck' date=' read my previous post, you have bought so much ram, lol 4gig, it decreases your performance, read my explenation with Command Rate timings. And for the lub of gawd perform the test I explained. You might get shocked gaining performance by taking out two sticks and use 2 gig of ram, but Im sure this will happen.[/quote']

The performance gain by taking out 2 gigs of ram is minimal at best. Yes running 1t does gain performance but so does 4 gigs of ram however excessive. What performance gains are you looking for?

I find this website to be very helpful and informative.

www.extremeoverclocking.com

Go to the forums and ALOT of the information you seek is there. And they are VERY helpful with ALL computer related questions.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0