Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AHWULF

Upcoming Version Note (Read)

39 posts in this topic

In working on the Universal Binary version of the game, Rick is going to support only 10.4.X and above once it ships. 10.3.9 has been supported for a long time but the complexity of keeping the pre-Tiger support in a universal binary is too much now. Note this is still unofficial but I expect it will become rat gospel pretty soon.

Also I am hoping to get the Leopard Starter Kit from apple soon, so we can be testing the unibin version under Leopard as well which has multi-threaded opengl. I would expect support for Tiger to last quite a while past the release of Leopard (which is actually a bigger leap than Tiger was) but it doesn't hurt to see what's cooking now.

I know a few of you are still running Panther and the $ might keep you from upgrading, if anyone here can help them out please do (legally!).

Rick is slogging through problems in the unibin version now, some of the existing libraries may need tweaking even for the PPC side of things. Soon he'll be able to report what kind of performance he is seeing once he is past the initial crashola.

Thanks for the update!

The occasional update keeps the morale up....the little stuff really does matter.

Agreed, it keeps me sub'd in the meantime.

:)

Agreed. Thanks for the update...sounds like the universal is going into contractions!! (all us Mac guys are pacing in the delivery room smokin and wringing our hands).

S!

VS

Rick is beating up Granny as we speak (the current library that's blowing up). The sound is working (yahoo, since I wrote that code) after he upgraded the openal to a newer version from Apple). It's like the black knight in Monty Python's Holy Grail; you just have to keep hacking away until there's nothing left to hack.

Rick reports it runs! Mostly. There are still endian issues here and there but it's running now. Obviously its not ready for release yet but its good news :-)

Rick reports it runs! Mostly. There are still endian issues here and there but it's running now. Obviously its not ready for release yet but its good news :-)

Would those be endian issues be big or little;)

Thanks you...I'll be here all week.

There is hardly any software which is universal binary and 10.3.x compatible. When applications move to universal binary,they lose 10.3.x compatibility too.

Also as Applications I mean desktop applications, not a full feature game/simulation.

It is really normal, if people doesn't like it,they should point their fingers to Apple,coder of OS X.

Technically you can build a unibin with 10.3.9 for PPC and 10.4 for Intel, but in this case its way too much work due to all the myriads of libraries that the game uses. It makes more sense to move forward and not slow down the important feature of supporting apple's shipping computers :-)

Come on guys.....please plaese...do it...Can someone tell Rick to come in here from time to time to post some updates....pleaseplease...;)

Well ;)))).......have u got some kind of eta??? we talking a week or 2, a month or 2, what we talking about? Just rough ideea would be great. (non-binding of course...) rough ideea till we can start beta testing...

We're talking between 1 day and 100 years :-)

Once I get a copy then I will know how long till a beta period. Remember that Gophur promised the intellification for 1.25 which is still a month or so from first beta away. However I would expect some 1.24 beta before then just to help kill bugs.

Patience...

Well, I've taken the plunge and now have a MacPro with 2 Xeon duo processors, 24" screen and a very "understanding"... ha ha... wife. Actually, she paid for half.

!S

BTW we (as in Rick) are thinking of ditching the web browser plugin and going strictly with a LaunchGame app. Makes more sense as a unibin kind of thing; I haven't run the game from a browser window in years.

We all know Apple is good at publicity but if these "things" offer some excellent performance increase with ease of coding, make the game 10.5 only?

If it was Windows, those new features would be added to 1 previous version via DirectX, it was always the same deal. For Apple, 10.5 ships, 10.4 is having security updates only. They don't even ship gfx driver updates.

"

http://developer.apple.com/leopard/overview/

OpenGL Improvements

OpenGL is the industry-standard API for developing portable, interactive 2D and 3D applications. Mac OS X has supported OpenGL from the outset and in Leopard it supports the latest OpenGL 2.1 specification which adds pixel buffer objects, color managed texture images in the sRGB color space, and improvements in the shader programming API.

Leopard also provides a dramatic increase in OpenGL performance by offloading CPU-based processing onto another thread which can then run on a separate CPU core feeding the GPU. This can increase, or in some cases, approach double the performance of OpenGL-based applications."

No it will have to support Tiger for quite some time. In any case, it can't use too many features that are not supported under Windows. When I can actually run Leopard (still need another external drive) I will see if the new MT opengl requires any coding changes.

BTW Rick is now leaning towards having just one application which houses the game, the launcher and the config app.

Question:

What are the major differences in the game, running MacOS native and running XP on the Mac?

(I'm sure that this has been covered before)

Right now - on intel macs the game is unusable as it runs in emulation (Rosetta), under XP (Bootcamp) it runs just like on a good PC. On PPC macs the existing version works fine, but not fast.

Soon the new universal binary version will run natively under MacOSX at hopefully similar speeds to a good PC, ie you won't need bootcamp anymore. Since its not out yet, the actual performance of course is not known.

Soon the new universal binary version will run natively under MacOSX at hopefully similar speeds to a good PC

Does this refer to the PPC Macs too, or is it only for the Intel Macs?

Does this refer to the PPC Macs too' date=' or is it only for the Intel Macs?[/quote']

If they enable SMP (dual/quad) processor, PowerPC macs will rocket too, it may his 1.8x faster speeds just by using the idling (20% max OS usage) other CPU.

No, the PPC mac version will only speed up with Jaeger's famous optimizations when they get put in. Making a unibin doesn't change the PPC version.

Rick's new game engine, when that is done next year, should make things faster on both platforms.

Rick says the 1.25 beta will include all the new stuff; universal binary client with *everything* built in, plus (possibly) a better installer since it's just one app now. Timing of course is unknown but I expect this will all be released before Christmas. No tricks, it'll be a nice treat.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0