Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AHWULF

Multi threaded opengl tests of WOW

6 posts in this topic

There are some good optimization possibilities there.

One interesting note I caught: "Though we saw gains on the Mac Pro with the Radeon X1900 XT, we saw no gains on our MacBook Pro 17" Core Duo with the X1600 Mobility."

I don't know a thing about the architecture of WoW or how the MT opengl was coded (or specifically works), but I wonder why the MacBook Pro didn't see any increase....? hmmmm....

Any chance of wwii online utilizing this?

The interesting thing I see is that it says it is most benificial in CPU intensive situations. We all know how much of a CPU hog (more like beating and raping) WWII online is.

Actually its not CPU bound so much as it is opengl pipeline bound. There are parts of the game that cost cpu time but the split is 2/3 opengl stuff 1/3 pure game stuff.

The lack of improvement in the macbook says to me would be that the video card is already maxed out, so adding a separate thread doesn't help any. If the video display is 100% utilitized with one thread, adding another doesn't help.

In the case of WWIIOL the pipeline is filled with vertex data, all in the same thread as the game. Moving it to another thread would allow the other 1/3 to suddenly have 3 time the cpu, and the pipeline have 1.5 times the cpu. Ignoring reality it would be something like double the fps at most. It would however, allow more game work to be done in the same time (since the game thread would have more available time) so you could have fancier features.

Note (as mentioned in my FPS primer) that the real benefit is not to make the massive vertex pipeline fatter, but move more of the vertexes to the video card and leave them there. That way the 2/3 time currently being pushed through opengl suddenly becomes 1/6 (funny math ok) and you have 3x fps without even the MT opengl being involved. Add the two together (with a really good video card) and suddenly you are seeing way more frames than your eyes can detect.

The lack of improvement in the macbook says to me would be that the video card is already maxed out, so adding a separate thread doesn't help any. If the video display is 100% utilitized with one thread, adding another doesn't help.

doesn't multi threaded open gl requires the system to be ready for it? as far as i know only the mac pro version of os x has this feature (to get some higher propaganda benchmark fps). the videocard itself can't be maxed out because the mac drivers are so bad :D;)

MT opengl will be standard in 10.5. I thought it might be available on all intel core2duos in 10.4.8. All I have is an original MBPro.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0