Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
azaedes

Best computer of these 3 for gaming?

50 posts in this topic

I'm looking to upgrade my current system for WWII Online, as well as future online games. In shopping, I've come across some that have a lower process speed but with faster buses and vice versa. I'm confused as to which the best combo would be.

Some examples are:

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Computers&pid=00371268000&vertical=ELEC&subcat=Desktop+Computers&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

Mirus Intel Dual Core Pentium D 930

Processor Speed 3.0 GHz

System Bus Speed in MHz 800 MHz

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Computers&pid=00371542000&vertical=ELEC&subcat=Desktop+Computers&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

Processor Speed 2.2 GHz AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core processor 4400+ System Bus Speed in MHz 2000 MHz

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Computers&pid=00371777000&vertical=ELEC&subcat=Desktop+Computers&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

Intel Core™ 2 Duo Processor E6300

Processor Speed 1.86 Ghz System Bus Speed in MHz 1066 MHz

The last one has an L2cache of 2mb. I think the others are 512kb. I'm not entirely sure how much weight I should give to the L2 cache as I'm a computer noob, but I've read of its importance. Money is somewhat of an issue, so I can't buy top of the line.

Anyway, which of the 3 would be ideal for gaming, and how important is the L2cache. Will 512kb be enough for most games to run smoothly? Much thanks for any help.

I love AMD but the first one is probably the best one. You'll probably have to get a video card though. I didn't see aything about a video card though for either of them. So add another $200 - $300 depending on what you want to get.

you'll want at least an Nvidia 7600GT graphics card. can't run this game or any modern 3d game without a graphics card. The top one is an older model Intel dual core. The good ones are Core 2 Duo. AMD is still very good and much cheaper nowadays.

So, the Intel Core 2 Duo is the best of the 3 even with its lower bus and processor or would I need a better Core 2 Duo to compete with the other 2?

All of those computers listed are completely useless for gaming. All of them have POS (yes, piece of ****) video cards that don't run even 3 years old games decently. Like toofless said before GF7600GT is absolute minimum video card for gaming.

This one is roughly the same price and much better for gaming. Same Proc, but you get a good video card, which you need to play with good fps.

http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=M&Product_Code=90631

I'd double the RAM for that rig. 1GB isn't simply enough for gaming. Gothic 3 for example runs like crap on 1GB RAM.

Still that rig is 100x better for gaming than those mentioned in first post.

So' date=' the Intel Core 2 Duo is the best of the 3 even with its lower bus and processor or would I need a better Core 2 Duo to compete with the other 2?[/quote']

Architecture wise Core 2 Duo is the best, even with its slower MHz speed (not BUS speed ;)). But what you really need to get, as already mentioned, is a computer with a mid-low end card or you need to add one to the third choice of yours which is the best of the 3 you listed.

Do you actually need all that stuff that comes with the first choice, not sure as to why you listed it unless the 3000 MHz speed is confusing you? Its only simularly priced because it has added software (useless to games), monitor and peripherals.

All of those computers listed are completely useless for gaming. All of them have POS (yes' date=' piece of ****) video cards that don't run even 3 years old games decently. Like toofless said before GF7600GT is absolute minimum video card for gaming.[/quote']

That is utter nonsense and perhaps you should study up before you spout off UNTRUE "opinions". The 7600GT is in NO WAY a "minimum" for ANY game. 6600's and 6800's are very good cards and a 7600 isn't all that much better than the 6800's. And that isn't even getting into ATI cards.

Here is a CPU chart: http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html?modelx=33&model1=430&model2=464&chart=173

Here is a GPU chart: http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics.html

Core 2 duo is the best card on the market today but that is the 6600 and above. I would not choose the 6300 C2D.

Of those 3 you listed I would go with the AMD X2 but I do believe as stated earlier you can do better than what's listed. And L2 cache has practically NO BENEFIT at all in ANY way. At best a very marginal but not even worth considering when selecting a processor.

So in the end I wouldn't buy any of them you selected. But I build my own.

So in the end I wouldn't buy any of them you selected. But I build my own.

Builing your own rig is the right way to go, I always laugh at people that go to store and buy some cheap configured crap.

Builing your own rig is the right way to go' date=' I always laugh at people that go to store and buy some cheap configured crap.[/quote']

keep laughing. Meanwhile i'll continue to do the math and prove people like you that you have no idea what the hell you're talking about because after all the parts, shipping, and software hes going to be plus or minus 50 bucks and out a warranty plus he gets the joy of doing it himself, screwing up included! Believe it or not some people just dont want the hassle. So to people like you i say WOOPIEEEEEE!

On the super expensive rigs where they nail your butt with a large premium its true, but on the cheaper computers, it doesnt work anymore. All OEMs have gotten very good with pricing. They arent stupid.

Core 2 duo is the best card on the market today but that is the 6600 and above. I would not choose the 6300 C2D.

Of those 3 you listed I would go with the AMD X2

Well then you'd be picking the worse of the bunch. 2.4 GHz AMD processor unfortunetly still has a rough time beating the 1.86GHz conroe processor. Its pretty funny. AMD really is good for nothing when the processors are in the same price range, though i must say their sub $150 processors are a nice deal if someone wanted to just slap together a box while penny pinching.

keep laughing. Meanwhile i'll continue to do the math and prove people like you that you have no idea what the hell you're talking about because after all the parts, shipping, and software hes going to be plus or minus 50 bucks and out a warranty plus he gets the joy of doing it himself, screwing up included! Believe it or not some people just dont want the hassle. So to people like you i say WOOPIEEEEEE!

On the super expensive rigs where they nail your butt with a large premium its true, but on the cheaper computers, it doesnt work anymore. All OEMs have gotten very good with pricing. They arent stupid.

Well then you'd be picking the worse of the bunch. 2.4 GHz AMD processor unfortunetly still has a rough time beating the 1.86GHz conroe processor. Its pretty funny. AMD really is good for nothing when the processors are in the same price range, though i must say their sub $150 processors are a nice deal if someone wanted to just slap together a box while penny pinching.

Fist off, I can practically guarantee I could build ANY PC for less than pre built one. And you could not touch my PC pre built for what I payed for it doing it myself. And a warranty is a joke and only for those who have no clue what to do if something goes wrong. ALL my components are warrantied and replacable.

And you are wrong, please SHOW me where you get your information? Your opinion is just that "YOUR opinion" without something to back it up.

And some people enjoy building their own PC and tinkering with it and getting a better understanding of what is going on. Building your own isn't just about money savings although you do save alot.

So you find me a price on this system pre built:

AMD 4800X2 $280

DFI LP SLI DR $170

Evga 7900GTO 512MG GPU $250

SB XiFi Platinum $130

2x1 gig Gskill PC 4000 $199

WD Raptor 10k rpm 74g HD $150

Antec 535W PS $129

Viewsonic VP191b 19" LCD display $400

I wont even go into Case, keyboard, JS and OS etc. but add say $300

Roughly $2000 with less than 100 shipping.

C2D 6800's are going to what 1k or a bit less?

:ol('>ATX Computer Cases

Qty.Product DescriptionUnit PriceSavingsTotal Price1:ol('>Antec LifeStyle SONATA II Piano Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 450Watt SmartPower 2.0 ATX 12V V2.0 for AMD & Intel systems Power Supply - Retail

Model #:SONATA II

Return Policy: :ol('>Standard Return Policy

:ol('>Add this item to your cart

$99.99-$20.00 Instant

$79.99

:ol('>Desktop Memory

Qty.Product DescriptionUnit PriceSavingsTotal Price1:ol('>OCZ Gold 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ28002048ELDCGE-K - Retail

Model #:OCZ28002048ELDCGE-K

$243.99 $243.99

:ol('>Intel-compatible Motherboards

Qty.Product DescriptionUnit PriceSavingsTotal Price1:ol('>ASUS P5ND2-SLI Socket T (LGA 775) NVIDIA nForce 4 SLI Intel Edition ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Model #:P5ND2-SLI

$85.99 $85.99

:ol('>Internal Hard Drives

Qty.Product DescriptionUnit PriceSavingsTotal Price1:ol('>Western Digital Caviar RE WD2500YD 250GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM

Model #:WD2500YD

$74.99 $74.99

:ol('>Keyboards

Qty.Product DescriptionUnit PriceSavingsTotal Price1:ol('>Logitech G15 2-Tone USB Wired Standard Keyboard - Retail

Model #:967599-0403

$71.99 $71.99

:ol('>Monitors - LCD

Qty.Product DescriptionUnit PriceSavingsTotal Price1:ol('>ViewSonic VA1912wb Black 19" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor - Retail

Model #:VA1912wb

Return Policy: :ol('>Limited Non-Refundable 30-Day Return Policy

$219.99-$5.00 Instant

$214.99

:ol('>Mouse

Qty.Product DescriptionUnit PriceSavingsTotal Price1:ol('>Logitech G5 Laser 931376-0403 2-Tone 6 Buttons 1x Wheel USB Laser Mouse - Retail

Model #:931376-0403

$45.99 $45.99

:ol('>Operating Systems

Qty.Product DescriptionUnit PriceSavingsTotal Price1:ol('>Microsoft Windows XP Home Upgrade with SP2 - Retail

Model #:N09-00985

Return Policy: :ol('>Software Return Policy

$99.99 $99.99

:ol('>Processors

Qty.Product DescriptionUnit PriceSavingsTotal Price1:ol('>Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6600 - Retail

Model #:BX80557E6600

Return Policy: :ol('>Processors (CPUs) Return Policy

$312.99 $312.99

:ol('>Sound Cards

Qty.Product DescriptionUnit PriceSavingsTotal Price1:ol('>Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card - Retail

Model #:70SB046000007

:ol('>$20.00 Mail-in Rebate :ol('>Add this item to your cart

$121.99 $121.99

:ol('>Speakers

Qty.Product DescriptionUnit PriceSavingsTotal Price1:ol('>Logitech X-530 70 watts RMS 5.1 Black Speaker System - OEM

Model #:970114-1403

$53.99 $53.99

:ol('>Video Cards

Qty.Product DescriptionUnit PriceSavingsTotal Price1:ol('>eVGA 256-P2-N584-AR Geforce 7900GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

Model #:256-P2-N584-AR

$225.99 $225.99 SubTotal

:$1,632.88

There that is just a quick stab and one site shopping now you show me ANYWHERE you can get this system pre built at this price.

P.S. don't try to use links.

Do you actually need all that stuff that comes with the first choice, not sure as to why you listed it unless the 3000 MHz speed is confusing you? .

I think this IS confusing me. The way I'm seeing those speeds are as a bus speed. And the computers I've listed with the lower processor speeds have higher bus speeds, so it seems to me they even out. I may be way off here, thats just the way I'm imagining it.

I do know I need a new video card as well. I'm just curious about the systems themselves, sans video card.

Also, arent the conroes only 6600 and higher? I've read about the quality of the conroes, but the one I posted, which is all I can afford, is a Viiv.

I think this IS confusing me. The way I'm seeing those speeds are as a bus speed. And the computers I've listed with the lower processor speeds have higher bus speeds, so it seems to me they even out. I may be way off here, thats just the way I'm imagining it.

I do know I need a new video card as well. I'm just curious about the systems themselves, sans video card.

Also, arent the conroes only 6600 and higher? I've read about the quality of the conroes, but the one I posted, which is all I can afford, is a Viiv.

It is difficult to understand the difference between AMD and Intel speeds. It has to do with the cycles and other things. That is a 3.0g chip but an AMD 2.2g chip will beat it as it does more cycles per clock I believe is how it works. Now the C2D (core 2 duo's) are the best chip on the market today and no they don't start at 6600. There are 6300 Conroes but a 6600 is very affordable and MUCH better.

Ah ty Joker. One LAST question. While checking out BF2, I noticed the system requirements for the processor was 2.4 Ghz. Well, if I go with the third choice in my list, the Duo 2 Core at 1.86 Ghz, will that be comparable to the 2.4 Ghz or even stronger as its dual core? Again, sorry for all the newbish questions, and thanks a ton for all the help I'm getting.

Ah ty Joker. One LAST question. While checking out BF2' date=' I noticed the system requirements for the processor was 2.4 Ghz. Well, if I go with the third choice in my list, the Duo 2 Core at 1.86 Ghz, will that be comparable to the 2.4 Ghz or even stronger as its dual core? Again, sorry for all the newbish questions, and thanks a ton for all the help I'm getting.[/quote']

Dual core doesn't make it stronger it just makes it so it can run more applications at the same time. I don't know of any games that take advantage of dual core ATM. But in the future they will so it is a good investment. And you other question is hard to answer because there are many different types of 2.4g processors. But I would imagine it would handle it just fine.

HOWEVER, I would STRONGLY urge you to do some more SHOPPING as you can get a MUCH better system for a MUCH better price. The system I quickly put together up above would kick the crap out of all three of the ones you listed put together. And remember as well that 8 series DX10 cards are due out soon so it would be wise to wait a bit and prices will come down.

Ah ty Joker. One LAST question. While checking out BF2' date=' I noticed the system requirements for the processor was 2.4 Ghz. Well, if I go with the third choice in my list, the Duo 2 Core at 1.86 Ghz, will that be comparable to the 2.4 Ghz or even stronger as its dual core? Again, sorry for all the newbish questions, and thanks a ton for all the help I'm getting.[/quote']

Basically when those specs were layed down by the dev core 2 duo didnt exist in a desktop format. Essentially the processor is fine and is actually better then a 2.4GHz pentium 4 which is what the BF2 spec suggests. Your third choice also does have an expansion slot for a PCI-Express card so you can put your own graphics into if you wanted. For 960 you might be hard pressed to get much better. I skimmed around Dell and a few other places and they dont offer much better for the $1000 range.

And you are wrong, please SHOW me where you get your information? Your opinion is just that "YOUR opinion" without something to back it up.

...although you do save alot.

Its not opinion man its fact. Go around to all the retailers/etailers putting together a comparable computer for as cheap as you can per component to his third choice for example, get the same processor, same ram amount, a generic cd/dvd drive, motherboard, psu and case, same HDD size, slap it all together with an OEM version of the OS and shipping and hes not going to save much, i've done it many times before. As i said you're going to end up with similar costs. If you doubt me you're just being ignorant ANYONE can check out what i'm saying. For the $2000+ computers its true, but not for the $1000 computers, you absolutly cannot make a worthwhile savings. Not enough for me to tell someone to wing-it and build/install their own.

The system I quickly put together up above would kick the crap out of all three of the ones you listed put together.

Yeah and only a third over what he wants to spend, how kind of you to take into consideration his limited budget.

Basically when those specs were layed down by the dev core 2 duo didnt exist in a desktop format. Essentially the processor is fine and is actually better then a 2.4GHz pentium 4 which is what the BF2 spec suggests. Your third choice also does have an expansion slot for a PCI-Express card so you can put your own graphics into if you wanted. For 960 you might be hard pressed to get much better. I skimmed around Dell and a few other places and they dont offer much better for the $1000 range.

Its not opinion man its fact. Go around to all the retailers/etailers putting together a comparable computer for as cheap as you can per component to his third choice for example, get the same processor, same ram amount, a generic cd/dvd drive, motherboard, psu and case, same HDD size, slap it all together with an OEM version of the OS and shipping and hes not going to save much, i've done it many times before. As i said you're going to end up with similar costs. If you doubt me you're just being ignorant ANYONE can check out what i'm saying. For the $2000+ computers its true, but not for the $1000 computers, you absolutly cannot make a worthwhile savings. Not enough for me to tell someone to wing-it and build/install their own.

Yeah and only a third over what he wants to spend, how kind of you to take into consideration his limited budget.

A third over and 10 times better and that is a top of the line computer. I GUARANTEE I can build something for 1k that is leaps above what he has there. Don't be so dense you can see the parts I listed are upper end parts. So common sense dictates that if you lower some of those parts the price comes down as well.

And I never told him to build his own I suggested he shop around more for a better deal. You make a comment that to buy pre built is cheaper on the lower end than building your own.

never said it was cheaper, why are you reading words that arent there? I merely said in the end its really not going to be worth it.

But hey, if you can put a computer together with 2gig of ram, motherboard, low-mid end card, 320gig HDD, retail proc of the same type, case + psu, rom, OS, for less and from a decent seller then $970, go for it. Show me all the savings.

:ol('>ATX Computer Cases

Qty.Product DescriptionUnit PriceSavingsTotal Price1:ol('>Antec LifeStyle SONATA II Piano Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 450Watt SmartPower 2.0 ATX 12V V2.0 for AMD & Intel systems Power Supply - Retail

Model #:SONATA II

$99.99-$20.00 Instant

$79.99

:ol('>Desktop Memory

Qty.Product DescriptionUnit PriceSavingsTotal Price1:ol('>G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 533 (PC2 4200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model F2-4200PHU2-2GBNV - Retail

Model #:F2-4200PHU2-2GBNV

$199.99 $199.99

:ol('>Intel-compatible Motherboards

Qty.Product DescriptionUnit PriceSavingsTotal Price1:ol('>ASUS P5ND2-SLI Socket T (LGA 775) NVIDIA nForce 4 SLI Intel Edition ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Model #:P5ND2-SLI

$85.99 $85.99

:ol('>Internal Hard Drives

Qty.Product DescriptionUnit PriceSavingsTotal Price1:ol('>Western Digital Caviar RE WD2500YD 250GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM

Model #:WD2500YD

$74.99 $74.99

:ol('>Keyboards

Qty.Product DescriptionUnit PriceSavingsTotal Price1:ol('>Microsoft BX200004 Silver & Black PS/2 RF Wireless Ergonomics Keyboard Mouse Included - Retail

Model #:BX2-00004

:ol('>$10.00 Mail-in Rebate :ol('>Add this item to your cart

$62.99-$15.00 Instant

$47.99

:ol('>Mouse

Qty.Product DescriptionUnit PriceSavingsTotal Price1:ol('>Microsoft Windows XP Home Upgrade with SP2 - Retail

Model #:N09-00985

Return Policy: :ol('>Software Return Policy

$99.99 $99.99

:ol('>Processors

Qty.Product DescriptionUnit PriceSavingsTotal Price1:ol('>Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 Conroe 1.86GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6300 - Retail

Model #:BX80557E6300

Return Policy: :ol('>Processors (CPUs) Return Policy

$182.99 $182.99

:ol('>Video Cards

Qty.Product DescriptionUnit PriceSavingsTotal Price1:ol('>eVGA 256-P2-N615-TX GeForce 7600GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

Model #:256-P2-N615-TX

$129.99 $129.99

SubTotal:

$902.01 Price may be a dollar or so off as I had a mouse included seperatley but one comes with the keyboard so I just did some quick rough subtraction. And that is MORE than $100 cheaper so add a few bucks for shipping and a drive.

And I believe there are $30 worth of Mail In Rebates there as well.

And I am sure you are aware of newegg's reputation and return policy. VERY GOOD if your not.

And that is with a video card which his system has integrated. And ofcourse you know the RAM and MB they use to build systems are CRAP that is how they make money.

I suppose I could take tha video card out and get a crappy MB and save another $150 or so. And shop for CRAP ram and save there as well. I am sure you catch my drift here. And that was just newegg I didn't even price shop.

Now if you say he isn't getting better QUALITY for his money you are LYING. About the same price but WAAAAAAAAAAY better QUALITY.

1st highlight: Yeah and you can add another $150 or so on to the price.

2nd highlight: Well you havent done it enough because you are DEAD WRONG and misleading.

3rd highlight: It is you who are being ignorant and misleading. I have shown not once but TWICE the advantages to building your own PC.

With a little research and some time it is easy to do. Building a PC is suprisingly easy once you get over the fear factor. I just hope you are man enough to admit you were wrong.

Building your own PC gives you MANY advantages over buying one.

First: You know what parts you are getting. When companies build PC's they use generic MB's, RAM etc. Usually these are lower end "value" components. Building your own you get QUALITY parts that are "warrantied" themselves. Therefore you don't need a builders warranty as the parts have it.

Secondly: Price, while close the above negates any comparison.

Thirdly: It gives you a reason to learn ATLEAST basic computer skills. It is not that hard to do and very rewarding once you get the hang of it.

bottom line is: all those computers come with motherboard graphics solutions, which won't run this game. You need a video card. Heck get a 7600 GS. they're like $130.

I'm looking to upgrade my current system for WWII Online, as well as future online games. In shopping, I've come across some that have a lower process speed but with faster buses and vice versa. I'm confused as to which the best combo would be.

Some examples are:

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Computers&pid=00371268000&vertical=ELEC&subcat=Desktop+Computers&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

Mirus Intel Dual Core Pentium D 930

Processor Speed 3.0 GHz

System Bus Speed in MHz 800 MHz

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Computers&pid=00371542000&vertical=ELEC&subcat=Desktop+Computers&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

Processor Speed 2.2 GHz AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core processor 4400+ System Bus Speed in MHz 2000 MHz

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Computers&pid=00371777000&vertical=ELEC&subcat=Desktop+Computers&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

Intel Core™ 2 Duo Processor E6300

Processor Speed 1.86 Ghz System Bus Speed in MHz 1066 MHz

The last one has an L2cache of 2mb. I think the others are 512kb. I'm not entirely sure how much weight I should give to the L2 cache as I'm a computer noob, but I've read of its importance. Money is somewhat of an issue, so I can't buy top of the line.

Anyway, which of the 3 would be ideal for gaming, and how important is the L2cache. Will 512kb be enough for most games to run smoothly? Much thanks for any help.

Here's the real story:

The first one is the lowest performing processor of the bunch, especially for gaming.

The Pentium D is a piece of crap for gaming, it's a power-hog, it runs hot, and its completely out-performed by the both the Core 2 Duo and the AMD 64 X2.

Between the AMD64 X2 and the Core 2 Duo, the Core 2 Duo will have superior gaming performance all around.

So out of those three processors:

The Core 2 Duo is the highest performer.

Take a look at this site for good CPU comparisons

http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html

Just so you understand,

Yes, that 1.8ghz Core 2 Duo will outperform that 3ghz Pentium D by a mile.

The 2.2ghz AMD X2 will also out-perform it in pretty much everything.

I know it might sound weird, but the processor with the lowest speed is actually the fastest of those three, and the one with the highest speed is actually the slowest.

As for the the systems as a whole..........ummmmm how come the video cards aren't listed???

Are they using onboard video or some crap?

Just so you understand,

Yes, that 1.8ghz Core 2 Duo will outperform that 3ghz Pentium D by a mile.

The 2.2ghz AMD X2 will also out-perform it in pretty much everything.

Core 2 Duo E6300 will outperform a 4GHz Pentium D easily. Core 2 Duo E6300 1.86GHz is as fast as Athlon 64 X2 5000+ 2.6GHz but E6300 has insane overclocking potential on top of that and it is over $100 cheaper than X2 5000+.

I'm currently using A64 3700+@2.7GHz and my next CPU will definitely be C2D E6300.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0