Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GrAnit

Buying a new system....

7 posts in this topic

My Dell died (power supply and motherboard are fried) and I need to get a new system, primarily to play WWIIonline. This is what I am thinking of. I'll use the 6800 pci-e video card from my dell. Any suggestions?

Asus A8N5X NVIDIA Socket 939 ATX Motherboard / RoHS / Audio / PCI Express / Gigabit LAN / S/PDIF / USB 2.0 / Serial ATA / RAID (3.25 lbs)

Ultra 2048MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz Memory (2 x 1024MB) (0.5 lbs)

AMD Athlon 64 4000+ / 1MB Cache / 2000MHz FSB / Socket 939 / San Diego Core / Processor with Fan (1 lbs)

Power Up Black 2559 ATX Mid-Tower case with Front USB and Audio Ports and 250mm Side Fan (10 lbs)

Western Digital / Raptor / 74GB / 10K / 16MB / SATA-150 / OEM / Hard Drive (1 lbs)

Xion / 500-Watt / ATX Ver. 2.20 / 80mm Fan / SATA-Ready / SLI-Ready / 20/24-Pin / Power Supply (5 lbs)

Lite-on SHM-160P6S / 16x8x16x DVD+RW / 16x6x16x DVD-RW / 8x DVD+R DL / 4x DVD-R DL / 48x24x48x CD-RW / Black/Beige Faceplates / Internal / DVD Writer - Retail (3 lbs)

Intel Core 2 Duo system instead of AMD if you're going to be upgrading all that stuff if you can. Its the new undisputed king of the hill in terms of processor performance, even the ones with lower clock speeds.

I'd also personally skip the raptor as the only HDD, 74GB is not much space at all in this day and age and most modern larger 7200RPM drives are just as good. You wont notice a difference between a 150gb seagate barracuda and a 74gb raptor.

About $600 or so. With a less expensive hard drive (7200 rpm) I can hit this mark at TigerDirect.

Anyone have a similar system? If so what kind of perfprmance do you get?

My old del was a 3.0 Gh P3 with 1 gig Ram and the 6800gt. I got low teens in heavy town fights to 60's in the air with know one around, with setting lat med-high (a mix of stuff high or med).

are the new intels really better than the amds?

i've always thought that amd was better for gaming...plus better prices.

i used to be an intel fan, but after my first amd, i've never gone back. now i'm hearing a lot of buz about intel. what gives?

are the new intels really better than the amds?

i've always thought that amd was better for gaming...plus better prices.

i used to be an intel fan, but after my first amd, i've never gone back. now i'm hearing a lot of buz about intel. what gives?

That was the case before intels core 2 duo series appeared during summer this year. They are both faster and cheaper compared to amd, that being said only new intels are better than amd, pentiums D stil suck :)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0