Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cappn

100% CPU Usage help

45 posts in this topic

Just recently started to play again. Im running an AMD Athleon XP Model 1800 (1.53GHz) Radeon 9550, Sound Blaster Audigy 4, 1024MB DDR. With only my ISP connection and The game running my CPU usage is at 99% to 100% usage. Can anyone tell me why or what I can do to lower my usage to keep from locking up and be able to stay in the game longer then 5 min.

Thanks Bruce

Just recently started to play again. Im running an AMD Athleon XP Model 1800 (1.53GHz) Radeon 9550, Sound Blaster Audigy 4, 1024MB DDR. With only my ISP connection and The game running my CPU usage is at 99% to 100% usage. Can anyone tell me why or what I can do to lower my usage to keep from locking up and be able to stay in the game longer then 5 min.

Thanks Bruce

well Bruce. I hate to break it to you. But your computer is getting really old at this point. while its not that bad off for most games that are set to medium or low settings. it's normal for this game to use 100% of your cpu.

your crashing can be coming from other places then just 100% of your cpu being used. try looking at your settings first. a big big key is having your sound card selected and not "primary sound device" trim off your sounds and check 2d sounds not 3d. and we've all heard this more then once. Update your drivers. stay on top of them. and not just your video and sound drivers. but your GART and other drivers out there. hell i found a processor driver update out there for my system.

if you go into your hardware profile. and click on a device.. if the provider is "microsoft" your in trouble.

[edit]

oh i'll add some quickies.

make sure you dust off your fans and cpu heatsink. you could take a trip down to your local PC shop, look for a store named "PCCLUB" they are just about the best. ask them about what type of cheap hardware upgrades you can do.

i know a very cheap upgrade for you would be to goto Ebay and depending on your front side bus speed. you could go as high as a athlon xp 3200+ its what i have and im still chugging along at 30-40fps now this time last year i was getting somewhere around 80-90fps. but as we know patches are almost always more lag.

Thanks Bruce

Well the above poster was much nicer than I can be. Your computer is CRAP!!! 1.5g processor and a 9550 were out of date atleast 4 years ago. Your CPU usage is where it should be and I doubt with that setup you'll ever be able to play this game with any performance.

Joker

Your comments are crap!!! I see why you have over 3000 posts. Easy when all the advice and help you offer is garbage puked from your juvinile thought processes. Don't waste your time or mine with insults. Grow up and come back when you can play with the big boys. See you in the game. When you feel somthing up your @$$ it will be my rifle.

Joker

Your comments are crap!!! I see why you have over 3000 posts. Easy when all the advice and help you offer is garbage puked from your juvinile thought processes. Don't waste your time or mine with insults. Grow up and come back when you can play with the big boys. See you in the game. When you feel somthing up your @$$ it will be my rifle.

Easy Cappn.

If you stay around this game and its forum long enough, you'll soon notice some people just can't help themselves no matter how hard they try.

That's why there is an ignore function.;)

Well Joker may have sounded harsh, but his assessment was pretty much 100% accurate.

Cappn, I'm sorry but your CPU is extremely extremely low-end. It might meet the minimum system requirements for WWIIOL, but the reality is your CPU is not powerful enough to expect ANY kind of performance while running the game.

The fact that your CPU is at 100% usage just by running WWIIOL is simply an indication of how inadequate it is to run the game. There is no tweak, no solution, no quick fix we can give you; the only solution is to upgrade your hardware, buy a better CPU, etc.

the sound card is probably ok, but it'd be much easier to just buy a new computer than to upgrade as you'll need a new motherboard for the new cpu and that means new ram as well, plus a new graphics card and all that stuff will most likley require a new power supply and that's basicly a new computer.

it always sucks to spend money on computers, but it doesn't feel as bad when you buy a new computer as you know it'll hold longer than the fix you'd give your junkie computer that will die sooner or later anyway (and you'll most likley not be able to use the parts you bought to another computer after that either).

I agree with the assessments about his system, but doesn't every system run the game at 100%? If it didn't, it wouldn't be giving the highest frame rate possible and I don't know about you guys but I really do want it to work its damnedest to give me every fps it can... ;)

(Ok, dual-core systems will run at 50% but that's still 100% of the CPU that's running the game.)

Joker

You come here asking for help/advice and you got it. You didn't get an insult you got a VALID FAIR assesment of you system. NOTHING you do will help you run this game with that system.

And insulting me isn't going to make that any better. And barring a serious upgrade from you my a$$ is as safe as Fort Knox Gold.

Best of luck.

P.S. if it makes you feel better "buy more RAM".

I agree with the assessments about his system' date=' but doesn't [i']every system run the game at 100%? If it didn't, it wouldn't be giving the highest frame rate possible and I don't know about you guys but I really do want it to work its damnedest to give me every fps it can... ;)

(Ok, dual-core systems will run at 50% but that's still 100% of the CPU that's running the game.)

My system NEVER hits 100% running this game. And 50% on a core is just that 50% not 50 + 50 for 100, it is just 50% for dual core.

Like i said, all I was looking for was advice from those here that have success in the game. Not insults. My puter was fine 18months ago. Things change in 18mo. I need a new one, so be it. Thanks to those with constructive advise.

Well the above poster was much nicer than I can be. Your computer is CRAP!!! 1.5g processor and a 9550 were out of date atleast 4 years ago. Your CPU usage is where it should be and I doubt with that setup you'll ever be able to play this game with any performance.

If you can't say something nice....

If you can't say something nice....

The problem with people being nice is it gives someone hope that if they put more money into an antiquated system it will perform better. So instead of telling the person that the current system NO MATTER WHAT is not going to EVER play this game they say "try this" or "do that". So the person goes out an buys RAM, GPU or closes that or runs this and get nothing.

While I could have put it a bit nicer the point I was trying to make was "don't bother". I hate to see people piss money away trying to fix something that cannot be fixed. It is better spent saving it until you can upgrade the WHOLE system.

So take "CRAP" out of my post and insert "EXTREMELY LOW END".

Good to see your back, as its been 18mth since you played....there are some serious changes that have evolved..

Also you having a early ATI card and a less than 2 Gig CPU, you will stuggle and as you have found out not be able to run the game more than likly...

A few things, have been changed with the intoduction of Speed tree everywhere, higher res models on the vehicles, water shader (Its a killer, disable it),weather patterns, STO (server tracked objects)many 2d buildings replaced with 3D and smoking when blown and some new net code to help lag.....plus many more I guessing

A worthy low end system these days would be like mine, which plays pretty good most of the time, but can get slow in huge fights

AMD3500

2 gig Dual channel

6600 Nivdia (I run 2 in Sli, but dosnt make difference for me in WWIIOL)

Cheers

gripfast

Thanks for the welcome back. When I left my system was already getting to slow for the game, but I managed to still have a good time with success. After returning last week, as you have said there have been many changes. just starting to get my legs back in the game. I have since managed to keep the game from locking up on me with a few tweeks here and there. Was hoping there would be some small things I could do to improve the quality a bit. Xmas on the way, 3 kids and 2 Grand Kids, was hoping to limp along for a bit until I recover from those expenses before dropping 2K on a new puter.

Thanks for the welcome back. When I left my system was already getting to slow for the game' date=' but I managed to still have a good time with success. After returning last week, as you have said there have been many changes. just starting to get my legs back in the game. I have since managed to keep the game from locking up on me with a few tweeks here and there. Was hoping there would be some small things I could do to improve the quality a bit. Xmas on the way, 3 kids and 2 Grand Kids, was hoping to limp along for a bit until I recover from those expenses before dropping 2K on a new puter.[/quote']

you dont have to dump 2,000 bucks on a "new" computer. there are many things you can re-use on the computer you have now. the Hard drives CD-roms cables case and others that you can still use saving you alot of money.

800$ will build you a computer that can play wwiionline pretty easy.

The game only ever hits 30% on my Core2Duo E6600 :P

I'd suggest a new rig, as well.

If you can't afford a new rig, then at least spring for some more memory. Or see if you can get a faster CPU for your existing mobo. AMD cpu's are dirt-cheap these days. Even their top end dual cores are cheap.

You say your running a AMD Athlon 1800? As far as I know AMD Athlon's don't have 1800 series. The most important thing in upgrading is knowing what type of socket you have. I am guessing you have a Socket A motherboard. If this is so it is not worth you putting money into any upgrade on that board.

BUT, if you have a Socket 939 (which I doubt) it is very upgradable for a VERY reasonable price.

Please run a "dxdiag" and post the system information, that is just the top to start with. To do this click on Start and where it says "run" click that. Type "dxdiag" without the "s and when it is done save it. Go to where you save it and select copy and past the top portion, it should look like this:

System Information

------------------

Time of this report: 12/6/2006, 21:37:51

Machine name:

Operating System: Windows XP Professional x64 Edition (5.2, Build 3790) Service Pack 1 (3790.srv03_sp1_gdr.060315-1609)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: NVIDIA

System Model: AWRDACPI

BIOS: Default System BIOS

Processor: Dual Core AMD Opteron Processor 170 (2 CPUs), ~2.9GHz

Memory: 2046MB RAM

Page File: 321MB used, 3642MB available

Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS

DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

DxDiag Version: 5.03.3790.1830 32bit Unicode

I agree with the assessments about his system' date=' but doesn't [i']every system run the game at 100%? If it didn't, it wouldn't be giving the highest frame rate possible and I don't know about you guys but I really do want it to work its damnedest to give me every fps it can... ;)

Yes you're right, they're wrong. The game, when opened, should be taking a total of 100% of the cpu utilization no matter what processor it is. On dual core processors it may not take 100% of a single processor, sometimes it takes 40% from CPU 0 and 10% from CPU 1 which is 100% utilization of one of the processors effectively. The same goes for just about any 3D game, even games from 1999 do this.

Anyone who thinks they're defying this simple fact, please do me the favor of switching the game to the affinity of 1 of your processors, go back into it and play for 10 seconds, come back out and take a look at task managers CPU usage history for the processor you're running the game on.

Its not abnormal, the game should be causing the processor to load. If its locking up its doing it for other reasons. Try upgrading your graphics drivers first.

Joker being a jerk isnt exactly new so if you want to "silence" him you wont lose any valuable advice.

I'm still running an AMD XP2400,2.0ghz......it also runs at 100% all the time...this old mobo won't upgrade to anything faster either......time for a new build!!

Yes you're right, they're wrong. The game, when opened, should be taking a total of 100% of the cpu utilization no matter what processor it is. On dual core processors it may not take 100% of a single processor, sometimes it takes 40% from CPU 0 and 10% from CPU 1 which is 100% utilization of one of the processors effectively. The same goes for just about any 3D game, even games from 1999 do this.

Anyone who thinks they're defying this simple fact, please do me the favor of switching the game to the affinity of 1 of your processors, go back into it and play for 10 seconds, come back out and take a look at task managers CPU usage history for the processor you're running the game on.

Its not abnormal, the game should be causing the processor to load. If its locking up its doing it for other reasons. Try upgrading your graphics drivers first.

Joker being a jerk isnt exactly new so if you want to "silence" him you wont lose any valuable advice.

I was going to post a response but I hope he listens to your advice and we will see where it gets him.

And please O' wise owl tell me how 40% + 10% = 100%? My CPU has NEVER been 100% usage in this game while I have monitored it, and I do regularly. You are trying to compare a dual core to a single core by inferring since one core "would" have been 100% then the CPU is @ 100% and it isn't happening. That is the whole point of DUAL CORE!

I guess with quad core comming out then 25% is going to be 100% for them? And then there is 8 core CPU's down the road, so let's see 100% on 8 cores is......

I was going to post a response but I hope he listens to your advice and we will see where it gets him.

And please O' wise owl tell me how 40% + 10% = 100%? My CPU has NEVER been 100% usage in this game while I have monitored it, and I do regularly. You are trying to compare a dual core to a single core by inferring since one core "would" have been 100% then the CPU is @ 100% and it isn't happening. That is the whole point of DUAL CORE!

I guess with quad core comming out then 25% is going to be 100% for them? And then there is 8 core CPU's down the road, so let's see 100% on 8 cores is......

Joker34,

Ease up ok??

Anyone who didn't know about the Athlon XP series of processors doesn't have any business giving out advice in this subforum.

The OP came here for help with his system. You are merely here to argue. Your day off didn't teach you much eh??

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0