Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cappn

100% CPU Usage help

45 posts in this topic

I was going to post a response but I hope he listens to your advice and we will see where it gets him.

And please O' wise owl tell me how 40% + 10% = 100%? My CPU has NEVER been 100% usage in this game while I have monitored it, and I do regularly. You are trying to compare a dual core to a single core by inferring since one core "would" have been 100% then the CPU is @ 100% and it isn't happening. That is the whole point of DUAL CORE!

I guess with quad core comming out then 25% is going to be 100% for them? And then there is 8 core CPU's down the road, so let's see 100% on 8 cores is......

yes joker...thats right, 40%+10% on a dual core processor or simply 50% usage read out in task manager means that one of the cores is at load capacity. CPU utilization under the processes tab in windows task manager reads the combined usage of the entire processor, be it multi-core or not. Its not rocket science. 50% = 1 core @ 100%, 50% more = both cores now at full load and the entire processor package can be stated as full load. All games will utilize a single processor (usually ID 0) and keep that one at load while running. The secondary processor is basically twiddling its thumbs doing small tasks. Task manager CPU usage monitors wont go much over 50% because of this, but one of your processors most certainly is at 100% load.

For quad core its exactly as you stated. 25% in the CPU usage means that 1 core is at 100% load while the other 3 are waiting for tasks.

afnv16tv1.th.jpg

100% = CPU Usage 50x2 on two single threaded processes. So two processes, each on one processor = 100% load. Take away a process and you get 1 process (could be WWIIOL doesnt have to be F@H) = 50% load yet one of the usage history charts still shows that processor 0 is 100% load. Its not rocket science...cant believe i had to go through all that to explain something really simple to such a stubborn person.

Joker34,

Ease up ok??

Anyone who didn't know about the Athlon XP series of processors doesn't have any business giving out advice in this subforum.

The OP came here for help with his system. You are merely here to argue. Your day off didn't teach you much eh??

Well gee you got me there I was thinking a Sempron or Duron processor but boy you sure got me there. Guess that will teach me not to remember a blast from the past.

And no it didn't but I am sure you can.

yes joker...thats right, 40%+10% on a dual core processor or simply 50% usage read out in task manager means that one of the cores is at load capacity. CPU utilization under the processes tab in windows task manager reads the combined usage of the entire processor, be it multi-core or not. Its not rocket science. 50% = 1 core @ 100%, 50% more = both cores now at full load and the entire processor package can be stated as full load. All games will utilize a single processor (usually ID 0) and keep that one at load while running. The secondary processor is basically twiddling its thumbs doing small tasks. Task manager CPU usage monitors wont go much over 50% because of this, but one of your processors most certainly is at 100% load.

For quad core its exactly as you stated. 25% in the CPU usage means that 1 core is at 100% load while the other 3 are waiting for tasks.

afnv16tv1.th.jpg

100% = CPU Usage 50x2 on two single threaded processes. So two processes, each on one processor = 100% load. Take away a process and you get 1 process (could be WWIIOL doesnt have to be F@H) = 50% load yet one of the usage history charts still shows that processor 0 is 100% load. Its not rocket science...cant believe i had to go through all that to explain something really simple to such a stubborn person.

One core being @ 100% load does not make the chip @ 100% load. So if I stability test my CPU do I run one prime95 or 2? That's right I run 2 for the simple fact that the chipt isn't @ 100% load unless BOTH cores achieve this.

You just want to argue dude what I told him about his system was spot on. Now you come in here wanting to be an asshat well go ahead I have no problem at all getting into it with you AGAIN! I see you enjoy the annonymity of the web as do I so let's get it on or STFU!

My CPU upon loading the game, spawning in, dying and respawning and running around. Town was Schilde and it was under attack and heavy air.

prnt_screen.JPG

Not 100% and it is split between BOTH cores, while one would have been @ 100% the processor as a whole is NOT!

Well gee you got me there I was thinking a Sempron or Duron processor but boy you sure got me there.

original post:

Im running an AMD Athleon XP Model 1800 (1.53GHz)

There is zero ambiguity in his post, *nothing* about "Sempron or Duron" processors.

Now you come in here wanting to be an asshat well go ahead I have no problem at all getting into it with you AGAIN! I see you enjoy the annonymity of the web as do I so let's get it on or STFU!

This helps. :rolleyes:

cappn,

can you do your own builds? change motherboard, cpu, etc?

One core being @ 100% load does not make the chip @ 100% load. So if I stability test my CPU do I run one prime95 or 2? That's right I run 2 for the simple fact that the chipt isn't @ 100% load unless BOTH cores achieve this.

You just want to argue dude what I told him about his system was spot on. Now you come in here wanting to be an asshat well go ahead I have no problem at all getting into it with you AGAIN! I see you enjoy the annonymity of the web as do I so let's get it on or STFU!

Actually you were being ignorant. Look at what i responded to.

Originally Posted by lutorm

I agree with the assessments about his system, but doesn't every system run the game at 100%? If it didn't, it wouldn't be giving the highest frame rate possible and I don't know about you guys but I really do want it to work its damnedest to give me every fps it can...

(Ok, dual-core systems will run at 50% but that's still 100% of the CPU that's running the game.)

Then what you said in responce which was written quite badly, and incorrect.

My system NEVER hits 100% running this game. And 50% on a core is just that 50% not 50 + 50 for 100, it is just 50% for dual core.

Problem being that the processor that the game is being run on does infact hit load 90% of the time, on SMP games both cores will do work with one still mainly floating around full load or share it depending on the crap you have running in your background. Point being a game will always be using 100% or more of a processor on a dual core processor. Doesnt matter if its split up, spread across fifty physical processors on the single package, its total usage will be effectively a single processor at load.

You are the one arguing for the sake of it (bet you enjoy it too), you arent thinking at all, so i had to go into a huge detailed explanation of something extraordinary simplistic. By the way, from the hostility you show other members in here based soley on their computer hardware, i'd wager you have a neurotic disorder known as a superiority complex.

Actually you were being ignorant. Look at what i responded to.

Actually that was my response to your initial post. So you were not in fact responding to that. That was ME responding to YOU.

Then what you said in responce which was written quite badly' date=' and incorrect.[/quote']

My responce was written correctly to what was said. Yes ONE core would have been @ 100% but it is a DUAL core processor. So the processor is not @ 100% and for that matter neither core is @ 100%. It may have been if it wasn't a dual core but it is so they aren't.

Problem being that the processor that the game is being run on does infact hit load 90% of the time, on SMP games both cores will do work with one still mainly floating around full load or share it depending on the crap you have running in your background. Point being a game will always be using 100% or more of a processor on a dual core processor. Doesnt matter if its split up, spread across fifty physical processors on the single package, its total usage will be effectively a single processor at load.

You are the one arguing for the sake of it (bet you enjoy it too), you arent thinking at all, so i had to go into a huge detailed explanation of something extraordinary simplistic. By the way, from the hostility you show other members in here based soley on their computer hardware, i'd wager you have a neurotic disorder known as a superiority complex.

I am thinking just fine thank you very much. My original post was a bit harsh and I said so. I even stepped away from it to explain why. Then you want to come in here to an almost dead thread and attack me directly. Well, give it your best shot, I stepped away from my first rude statemene and so should you, but you don't.

And maybe your right.

original post:

There is zero ambiguity in his post, *nothing* about "Sempron or Duron" processors.

This helps. :rolleyes:

cappn,

can you do your own builds? change motherboard, cpu, etc?

Yes you are right he did say what he had and it didn't cross my mind. When I think Athlon I think 64 as it has been a long time since I have dealt with the XP's, even though I owned a few. So kudos to you. Either way, Athlon, Sempron or Duron it still is what it is, a 1.5g processor that isn't going to perform well.

It wasn't meant to help as with his initial responce.

Ww2ol is not using 100% of dual core procesor, not even 1 core. Try running orthos and ww2ol and run task manager or something else in background you will see the difference that being said, k6 is on wrong track here :)

sometimes it takes 40% from CPU 0 and 10% from CPU 1 which is 100% utilization of one of the processors effectively.

That statement is total and absolute nonsense. You seem like a pretty knowledgeable guy, so how you could say that a combination of 50% cpu usage split between cores is somehow equivalent to "1 core"....well that's absolutely not true, period.

And WWIIOL does not always use 100% of one processor, or even always 50% in a dual core system.

And no, "games from 1999" do not always do so either.

It is normal that the game uses close to 100% CPU time.

Note that switching other processes (like the task-manager) into foreground falsifies the observation.

It is normal that the game uses close to 100% CPU time.

Note that switching other processes (like the task-manager) into foreground falsifies the observation.

True but switching to task manager show a history for a time PRIOR to switching. And that doesn't even reach 100% the task manager I have above was not in the foreground but taken AFTER I exited the game.

One core (which is the subject of the topic starter), always uses close to 100% CPU time while in game. That's the way how it is designed.

On a dual core system, the total CPU time used by the game process is at least 50%.

This is really nothing to worry about.

System Information

------------------

Time of this report: 12/13/2006, 13:56:04

Machine name: BRUCE

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: Compaq

System Model: Presario 6016US

BIOS: 686Y4 v2.13

Processor: AMD Athlon XP 1800+, MMX, 3DNow, ~1.5GHz

Memory: 1024MB RAM

Page File: 346MB used, 2118MB available

Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS

DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

Well i Decided to check back up on Cappn and all i see is a pissing contest.

Here is my point that i'd like to make.

Not everyone has 900$ to blow on a killer cpu. people have bills children and other things that really do need to come first.

That being said. wwiionline does run on a athlon 2400+/ge force 5500 oc and 768MB of DDR266. maybe not at 100fps but it is still playable. Just like a Car it takes "tuning" to make it run just right. Now i can give you some hints but again like a car. every single computer is different. even two of the same specs and model. just like a car. one may be a little faster but there are always and i mean ALWAYS things you can do outside of hardware upgrades to increase your performance. most of this comes in the form of knowing your bios settings by heart. learning the O/S you using and exploiting that.

A big trick that may help you is to disable you explorer.exe when you play a game. im not talking 10fps increase but it frees up alot of ram and cpu cycles.

the way to do it...

start the game. when the game loads press Ctrl+alt+del. bring up your task manager and goto the proccesses. click explorer.exe end task. when your done with the game click file and then new task. type explorer.

there you go!

another trick. disable everything you can in your msconfig.

goto start then run type msconfig. goto the last tab called "startup" then go through and disable everything you dont NEED and i mean that. if you need it you can always start it later from the program menu

another trick

get those damn icons off your desktop. but them in a folder on the hard drive then make a shortcut on your desktop to that folder. that way all the O/S has to keep track of is that icon and not 60 or how ever many you might have.

I'm sorry the people on the community support forums arn't more helpfull. There are alot of good people on here willing to take the time to try and help you.

But again. there are show boats where ever you go in life. the internet isn't any different. hell everyone knows i like to show off when i get new hardware. LOL

and you never know what you might get for X-mas

Happy Holidays christmas and the rest!

oh and to clarify. Yes they did make a athlon xp 1800+ a stupid trick you might not know?!!?1 insert a 1800+ into a mobo with a 266FSB and you'll get a athlon xp 2400+ you've just got to set the FSB settings to 266/266 1/1 match cpu/fsb/CLT

Cappn,

Read about your return and problems with your old system..When I read that you have to wait to spend $2000 on a new computer I thought I would give you this advice..Go online and goto Ibuypower.com...you can configure your own computer and for less than $1000 you can have a pretty nice computer..I purchased my Amd Athlon 3000 w/ 1mg Ram and Nvidia 5900 XT card for about $850..I didnt need a monitor and added a CD/DVD writer , Floppy drive and 6 in 1 media card reader..also had 80 GB Serial ATA drive and 420 watt power supply. This was 11/11/04 still getting 25-35 FPS from system.

Also 2 extra fans ..Delivered in 5 working days..Getting ready to purchase another from them in about 6 months..Hope this will work when you are ready they were very good to me...Sbd2

PS: I have onboard sound and run it at 32 but run 800/600 on monitor. Prob why my FPS is still good..

Well gentlemen!

Again, I thank those that have offered help with my original post. Didn't realize what a can of worms would be opened by asking for a bit of advise. With the help offered I have tweaked my computer the best I can without spending a penny. Some of your advice has definatly made a difference. I now no longer get the boot during game play. Can stay logged in all day. My FR run between 25 and 30, bellieve it or not as high as 35 in the air. Not bad for an old machine. Graphics and sound are quite good. CPU is runnig around 80%. Chaulked up quite a few kills in the last week. I believe I got Joker once or twice, sounded like his cry! Just Jokin with ya Joker!!!!!! . Thanks all! New computer in the works probably Feb sometime. A lot to learn in the game since I left and came back. Dosn't seem as busy as it used to be. Hard to find a good fight sometimes. The squad I was with for the entire life time of the Original Air Warrior has moved to axis ( C-Hawks). Since my rank was saved with the allies I will likley stay there rather than try to rank up from the beggining again. Happy Holidays all!!!!!

Cappn

Well gentlemen!

Again, I thank those that have offered help with my original post. Didn't realize what a can of worms would be opened by asking for a bit of advise. With the help offered I have tweaked my computer the best I can without spending a penny. Some of your advice has definatly made a difference. I now no longer get the boot during game play. Can stay logged in all day. My FR run between 25 and 30, bellieve it or not as high as 35 in the air. Not bad for an old machine. Graphics and sound are quite good. CPU is runnig around 80%. Chaulked up quite a few kills in the last week. I believe I got Joker once or twice, sounded like his cry! Just Jokin with ya Joker!!!!!! . Thanks all! New computer in the works probably Feb sometime. A lot to learn in the game since I left and came back. Dosn't seem as busy as it used to be. Hard to find a good fight sometimes. The squad I was with for the entire life time of the Original Air Warrior has moved to axis ( C-Hawks). Since my rank was saved with the allies I will likley stay there rather than try to rank up from the beggining again. Happy Holidays all!!!!!

Cappn

I really didn't mean to come off so harsh as I did but I hate when people tell someon to buy more stuff for an outdated rig. I am happy you are atleast able to log in and play and hope you can find some more tweaks to keep you rig running longer.

P.S. I am sure you didn't get me but if it makes you feel better I can spawn and let you kill me.:D

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0