Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Rev

7950 gt and low fps?!

40 posts in this topic

ADM Athlon64 3500+ is the bottleneck? Come on... This is a good processor. I want to play the game in a home computer' date=' not a NASA one.[/quote']

It's a 2 year old processor, I really doupt it would make you go down to an unplayable FPS that he is talking about.

However he is using an onboard soundcard which uses the CPU (heavily) to process sound.

My computer is an

Athlon 3500XP

Geforce 6600GT

Soundblaster 4 Pro

I get an average of 30fps on the ground, sometimes (seldom) it goes down to less than 20...

In the air I get alot more (average 50).

Its very easy to see if the CPU is bottleneckeing the computer, just do a ctrl+alt+delete in windows click the performance tab and check the CPU usage.. if that is at 100% you have a problem.

It's a 2 year old processor, I really doupt it would make you go down to an unplayable FPS that he is talking about.

However he is using an onboard soundcard which uses the CPU (heavily) to process sound.

My computer is an

Athlon 3500XP

Geforce 6600GT

Soundblaster 4 Pro

I get an average of 30fps on the ground, sometimes (seldom) it goes down to less than 20...

In the air I get alot more (average 50).

Its very easy to see if the CPU is bottleneckeing the computer, just do a ctrl+alt+delete in windows click the performance tab and check the CPU usage.. if that is at 100% you have a problem.

Single core CPU's will be @ 100% in this game and that is normal. That is not the way to determine a bottleneck.

Post em buddy post em.

Can`t, have only the shareware version from 3dmark. You disabled radial clutters? Are this visible?... better, for what it is there?

Can`t' date=' have only the shareware version from 3dmark. You disabled radial clutters? Are this visible?... better, for what it is there?[/quote']

I disabled it only because I don't like it. I don't know if this is true or not but I don't want anything appearing on my screen that might not be appearing on someone elses.

amd 64 3000+

asus a8n deluxe 939

1.5gig 2700 ddr

250gig hd

audigy x-fi (game sounds)

onboard audio (teamspeak)

xfx 6800 gt 256mb

60-220 fps, no stutters, and never goes below 60fps...

i'm i doing something wrong here?

why should i be getting 20-30 fps?

i think he just needs to tweak his settings a bit...

it took me a while to figure out what worked best, but it was worth

the tweaking i had to do to get there...

shouldnt be a problem with a better CPU...

exactly, people talking about that a 2 year old pc is not enough anymore...huh not much did change in the last 12 months in this game so why should it suddenly not be enough performance

amd 64 3000+

asus a8n deluxe 939

1.5gig 2700 ddr

250gig hd

audigy x-fi (game sounds)

onboard audio (teamspeak)

xfx 6800 gt 256mb

60-220 fps, no stutters, and never goes below 60fps...

i'm i doing something wrong here?

why should i be getting 20-30 fps?

i think he just needs to tweak his settings a bit...

it took me a while to figure out what worked best, but it was worth

the tweaking i had to do to get there...

shouldnt be a problem with a better CPU...

It is not that you shouldn't be able to get 60FPS, it is just that I don't personally think you can do it with the settings I run. If you have you setting lowered than yes you can run good FPS but turn them up and it would take a hit.

I have a Athlon 64 3200 in a MB that is sitting under my desk ATM. Maybe when I get some free time I can bench it against my Opteron and see what we get. But ATM I am building my WC setup so it wont be anytime soon.

My 7950gt also got really low FPS, what I did to fix it was to...

Open up Nvidia Control Panel

Click on 3D settings

Click on Manage 3D settings

Scroll down to Threaded optimization and turn it OFF.

This made my FPS go from 9fps to over 100fps.

Scroll down to Threaded optimization and turn it OFF.

This made my FPS go from 9fps to over 100fps.

This is only an option for dual-core processors. It's nVidia's attempt to let dual-core processors share the OpenGL processing via threading. Rev's dxdiag does not show a dual-core, so he won't have that option.

To determine if it's the video card that's limiting fps, you can lower the resolution. If you run at 800x600 or something similar and you get similar fps, it's not the video, because you just lowered the gpu workload to ~1/3. If it was the video card limiting fps, your fps should have gone up by 3x...

It's weird though, I have an E6400 and X1900XT and it's clearly not gpu limited even at 1600x1200, I can turn on AA/AF whatever and it does not impact the fps. Still, sometimes it drops to 12-15, and overclocking the CPU by 50% didn't seem to make a difference to this.

I didn't read all of the above carefully, but how much memory did you have? Running out of memory is a sure way to drop fps a lot regardless of cpu/gpu.

It is not that you shouldn't be able to get 60FPS, it is just that I don't personally think you can do it with the settings I run. If you have you setting lowered than yes you can run good FPS but turn them up and it would take a hit.

I have a Athlon 64 3200 in a MB that is sitting under my desk ATM. Maybe when I get some free time I can bench it against my Opteron and see what we get. But ATM I am building my WC setup so it wont be anytime soon.

the only difference i can see is that u use 4x aa and 4x af

i use 2x aa, and 8x af

that, and my refresh is set to 85hz

i noticed that the performance increased as i raised the settings...

i have found a kind of middle ground between outragious fps with bad graphics, and amazing graphics with poor fps...

even with everything set to max, i was still getting decent fps, but it would stutter occasionally...

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0