• Announcements

• HEAVY265

Attention Soldiers Operation Fury Needs you!   02/20/2020

Attention All Soldiers, Operation Fury needs you.  You need to choose a side and sign up.  
      For more intel on Operation Fury Please click HERE Please go to Special Event Forum (here), And sign up for allied or axis.
      This will be a CRS Lead event on both sides.  Xoom will be heading up the axis side and Heavy265 will be heading up the Allied side. This will be for bragging rights.
      Why are we asking players to sign up you ask. We are trying for a role play experience.   We want this to be a true realistic event.  
      So get up and sign up and let's make this the best event ever!!!!!!!!!!
      Give me your war cry, grrrrrrrrrrrrr
      Heavy265 **out**
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jester

Vid Card Help

33 posts in this topic

Hi I just got a new comp, here's sopme brief stats on it.

3.20GHz processor

512MB RAM (I'm going to buy and additional 512 soon)

ATI Radeon X200 Video card (AFAIK this is not compatible with WWIIOL)

So, after I get 1GB of RAM, I'm looking to spend 100-150$ USD on a new video card and pray that i can install it and remove the other. Problem is, I'm not so great with the knowledge of video cards. I want to stick with ATI Radeon but I don't know whether or not to get a X series card or a 9000 series card, etc., etc.

Post your thoughts/recommendations on what I should get, it would be greatly appreciated.

S! j6

Any particular reason you want to stick with ATI? Nvidia seems to work better with ww2online.

If you're correct lure, I think I'm going to get the GeForce 6800GT, at 140.00 USD from Circuit city it is roughly what I'm looking for and according to the guide caber provided is ranked in the "Good/recommended" area.

2 questions:

1. Does anyone else use a card like this? whats its performance like?

2. Can I install this easily?

*BTW Lure i wanted to stick with Radeon because I can add another Radeon card to the X200 already in the computer through an extra PCI Express slot, but if I get the GeForce I was thinking that they'd conflict. Would this happen? If so, I'm going to get a Radeon to avoid the troubles of removing/uninstalling the X200.

Here's my radeon choice:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/ATI-Radeon-X1300-Pro-Video-Card-100-437602CCS/sem/rpsm/oid/144054/catOid/-13043/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

And my GeForce choice

Availability for XFX GeForce 6800XT Xtreme Edition PCI-Express Graphics Card (

My new computer says that a PCI Xpress slot is available, I think these cards go there, I'm not sure though so let me know if they are not

EDIT: I'm leaning more towards the Radeon choice not only because it will work together with the X200 in the extra PCI Express slot but also because it is in stock 1 mile away from me and is supposed to have easy installation. post what ya think

The 6800gt is way better

The only thing I'd consider over the 6800gt in the price range for ati is an x800xt or x850.

You got a new computer and you have an agp slot? You shouldn't have done that. Unless you got a smokin deal on it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814122009

Here's a 7600gt for 174$ they are burning up the mid range market. A great performing card for the money.

If 140$ with shipping is the extent of your budget I think this would be a good buy for 126$

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150190

If you simply must go ati within that budget then this isn't bad at all

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814161052

x1300 is not good for ww2ol and 6800xt also, I would take 6800gt as last choice, I recommend you take 7600gt or 7900gs as budget cards that will perform really well in ww2ol.

As for you asumption that it will work with your onboard x200 (will not ;)) and that is easy to use :roll: they are all the same, as for nvidia - ati dilema, nvidia work better with openGl rendering (this is what ww2ol use) so my choice is Nvidia.

Hassel

The Nvidia 6000 series are getting old. I'm on a 6800GT myself but I would not buy that card today. I think you want to look for 7600GS or 7600GT cards. I can hardly find any 6000-cards in the stores I shop parts at here and the 7600GS cards is just a little bit more expensive then the 6800XT I can find. I'd go for a 7600 card.

As for installing any new card, you need to uninstall the old card before you plug in the new one and install any drivers for the new cards. Follow theese steps:

1. Remove all drivers and software for the old ATI card. Use driver cleaner (http://www.drivercleaner.net/).

2. Turn of computer and remove the old card (unless it's build in card of course)

3. Plug in the new card.

4. Start the computer. If the old card was a built in card: Enter the bios startup menu and change so that the computer will use the PCI-Express card. I'm not sure if this is needed but there's usually a option in the bios to select what graphic device should be used if you have a built in graphic card. I never build computers with build in graphics... maybe someone can fill me in here.

5. Install the latest windows drivers for the new card.

6. Done.

How about the Radeon X1600?

I'm most likely sticking with Radeon because I'm not going to be able to get the drivercleaner thing (costs money)

wtf... they used to have a free version of driver cleaner. They must have removed that one during december... The old free Driver Cleaner Pro can still be found here though.

As for Radeon X1600 the performance compared to the nvidia cards seems to be between 6600GT and 6800GT.

You don't need any kind of driver cleaner.

Go into the start menu and uninstall everything nvidia if it has an uninstall option in the start menu.

Next go to the control panel ,add/remove programs. Uninstall nvidia display driver and all other nvidia programs. Restart.

You will now be operating on the generic windows video driver. You may now shut down and replace it with any video card of your choosing. On first restart simply download the latest drivers from whatever card you buy, restart and you're set. Nvidia or ATI.

If you're getting an x1600 at least get the x1650 that I marked last. It's cheap and most x1600 are clock at 450Mhz. this x1650 runs at 600. It also has 512 of memory instead of 256. Not that it would help a card with only a 128 bit memory bus that much..

What you really need is a card with at least a 256 bit memory bus. You should be specifically looking for that. the 7900gs has one so does any of the x800 series by ati. Any of the 7800's do also if you can find them. The x1950pro's do to.

The problem is any card that is considered a "mid-range" or "low end card" when it came out is going to be crippled with a 128 bit memory bus. That is how they've designed this "mid range" market. They make identical pcb's for all thier cards in a certain line up and then the ones with defects in the bus half of it is turned off and a mid range gpu and ram are placed in it.

There is however if you look dilegently alot of resonably priced cards with 256 bit memory buses. None of the x1600 have them no matter what letters they stick on the end or how much memory they give it or how many gaming stickers. It's always a 128bit card.

The 6800gt when it came out was a top gpu therefore it has a 256bit mem bus. The newer design of the x1600 can make up for alot but making up for half the memory bandwidth is quite a trick. The x800 when it came out was a top card therefore it too has a 256bit mem bus.

The 7600gt is the most surprising card out with a 128big mem bus. Its actually competing with the ati x1800xt in alot of benches even with half the mem bus bandwidth.

The cheapest cards that are 256bit are the 6800gt and the x800. Next is the 7800gto if you can find one or the x1800. The ones that are newer you'll have to pay a little under 200 bucks for but it's well worth it in my opinion and you'll be able to go alot longer without upgrading.

***The 7900gs is simply the card to buy for any WW2 player who is budget concerned.*** trust me I think alot of people here would tell you the same.

The x1950pro is it's ati competitor and it's what I have but they're a little pricey for what you get. I paid 259 for mine but it's 512meg with a 256bit mem bus and it's VIVO. I couldn't find that combo for the price in an nvidia.

Even this ATI fanboi is going to tell you to buy the 7900gs if you can it's the best choice for this game.

All due respect, but deciding on what video card to go with simply because you have old files from your ATI installation still on your PC has got to be the lamest thing I have ever heard.

In fact, it's absolutely ridiculous.

I hope you're aware, you don't NEED Driver Cleaner Pro.

All you need to do is go to Add/Remove Programs, uninstall the ATI card and you're set.

Just power down your PC, put in the new card, power up and install the correct drivers.

If there is still ATI stuff on your PC, just go to the C:\ drive or C:\Programs\ and look for a folder called ATI and just delete.

This is not complicated, and you actually don't need to use any Driver Cleaner program at all. I switched out video cards and installed new drivers for years without ever using a driver cleaner program, and everything always worked fine.

Let me make this clear:

As long as you uninstall the video card using the correct manufacturer supplied method (by using the uninstallation feature in Add/Remove Programs), everything should be fine.

Ok, Ok, easy, im not a computer guru. thanks for the advice, I'll go with a Geforce card then. My only real worry now is the actual installation, is that simple or what?

Ah yes you don't NEED to "clean up" the old drivers but it's good practice. :)

The actual installation is usually not hard. The card will only fit one way. The manuals usually have good installation guides with pictures. A good tip is to read the whole installation chapter before actually starting the installation. :)

ATI has its own removal tool in their download section of Support. This utility helps wih anything ATI left that the normal add/remove does not remove.

I'm leaning towards the GeForce 7600 GS and GT.....GS is cheaper but GT is supposedly better, although the GT requires 400watt of power and I dont know what I have, and from what I hear its loud.

I like the looks of the 7900GS posted at newegg.com as well as the price. It'll come out to 1$ more than the 7600 GT without tax included for me....I'll let you know my final decision ( need to maake some more money first, I'm aiming to get it this weekend)

The 7600gt is worth every penny. Don't get the gs if you can swing it.

For 1$ more than the 7600gt you get a 7900gs?

That's a no brainer. $1 more for a pretty much identical card with twice the memory bus.

I had a squaddie complaining about bad performance. After a little Q&A I found out he was running on an ati x300.

I talked him into getting a 7900gs. He says it more than doubled his fps and he has a very similar computer.

***The 7900gs is simply the card to buy for any WW2 player who is budget concerned.*** trust me I think alot of people here would tell you the same.

Just bought this badboy to replace my 6800GTAGP

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150209

Nice core clock:cool:

thats a pci express card...

not compatible with AGP...

u need to have a pci-x slot for it to work, and i havent yet saw a motherboard with pci-x and agp...

Yeah, make sure you get an agp version. There's agp versions of all these cards.

The price may vary slightly. AGP cards aren't manufactured in as much bulk as the others and sometimes are more pricey for new models. They also come out later now.

Hi I just got a new comp, here's sopme brief stats on it.

3.20GHz processor

512MB RAM (I'm going to buy and additional 512 soon)

ATI Radeon X200 Video card (AFAIK this is not compatible with WWIIOL)

What processor is that? If you got a new computer and it has an AGP slot, it must be (no offense) a pretty entry-level machine. AFAIK, almost all new motherboards now have PCI-express video slots. I'd be concerned about plowing money into something that's already getting outdated.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0