• Announcements

• HEAVY265

New Forum Lead!   11/17/2019

It's with great pleasure to announce B2K as the new Forum Lead.   I am very confident he will be good for the forums, he has great ideas and direction for the future of the forums.
      Good luck sir and GOD speed.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest jurnlist

A journalist view

6 posts in this topic

I am sure you Mac-developing guys are doing your best to make this software rock, but:

- rendering is often very faulty: the rifle, the water effect (LSD-trip?)

- application is prone to crash a lot: especially if you dare to Apple-TAB or Hide the app.

- the incredible performances drop on top of the line machines is astonishing! (PowerPC and Intel)

- i've seen complex 3D games with more smoke, light, shadow and sound-fx that scream in your face!

As a reviewer i have tested this game for 4 months on different Macs. I told my editor I would like to postpone writing my review on this game for at least another 6 months up to a year, cause i am afraid my negative review would show disrespect for an otherwise very good game. Charging money for this product in this (beta?)stage is unwarranted, except if you are a supporting member.

On the other hand, in this stage, die-hard fans of the genre are willing to swallow their needs and use the game as-is. But i am sure you would attract a larger crowd with a finished product.

The rendering errors on intel macs is the fault of the Granny library, which has now been updated by the developer and all of the animations regenerated (in the beta version of 126).

125 prior to .5 had a problem with cmd-tab that should be better now.

Yeah performance sucks but its the vertex pipeline in apple's opengl which is not optimized for dumping lots of vertexes on every frame. On PC's the video card manufacturers tune the opengl support for games. Apple tunes its opengl for the UI. We do know how to get around this issue (and some games have done so) by storing models on the video card instead of resending the vextexes on every frame. Doom3 had exactly the same issue when it was released. However there are only 4 coders total for this game and only one guy doing Mac support. The new game engine (based on OSG) which will ultimately utilize the opengl features that won't be affected by the apple pipeline will eliminate any FPS issues, BUT, they have to work on it while doing everything else.

I've done all the Shark testing of the Mac version, I know where the FPS issue is (the vertex pipeline) but nothing we can do but be patient. The existing engine was designed in 2000 or so and the only way to fix this issue (which is not a problem for PC as I mentioned above) is the new engine.

Calling it a beta is disingenuous, any more than Doom3 was a beta. When 2/3 of the frame time is spent inside one call in opengl, there isn't much you can do to make it faster other than avoid the call. Battles in many towns, including trees, people and vehicles in this game approach 150,000 triangles, each of which is being shoved each frame through the opengl pipeline to the video card. The new engine will support storing, for example, all the buildings onto the video card, allowing each frame to only take, say 20,000 new triangles. Now we are avoiding the worst of Apple's opengl implementation. None of this is news to any game developer on the Mac writing a game today, including all the Rat coders. You can get away with this game coding design on the PC where games are the #1 priority for optimized opengl.

Note that if you play the game on an intel mac under bootcamp, you get the usual high speed PC FPS since you are only using the Mac hardware but the optimized opengl drivers. The game code in both versions is nearly 100% the same, yet the FPS is way better under windows simply due to the optimized drivers. It's not a level playing field. Someday it will be.

For now it's frustrating but the games playable for most. If you have an intel mac you can always go bootcampy. I still play on my dual 2 G5 with X800 and live with 10fps at the bottom end.

I am sure you Mac-developing guys are doing your best to make this software rock, but:

- rendering is often very faulty: the rifle, the water effect (LSD-trip?)

- application is prone to crash a lot: especially if you dare to Apple-TAB or Hide the app.

- the incredible performances drop on top of the line machines is astonishing! (PowerPC and Intel)

- i've seen complex 3D games with more smoke, light, shadow and sound-fx that scream in your face!

As a reviewer i have tested this game for 4 months on different Macs. I told my editor I would like to postpone writing my review on this game for at least another 6 months up to a year, cause i am afraid my negative review would show disrespect for an otherwise very good game. Charging money for this product in this (beta?)stage is unwarranted, except if you are a supporting member.

On the other hand, in this stage, die-hard fans of the genre are willing to swallow their needs and use the game as-is. But i am sure you would attract a larger crowd with a finished product.

It's funny, but I've been, lately, quite quick to criticise CRS for this game and the state it's in on a Mac but reading this made me think and I can't help but reply, with what I think is a player's perspective though rather than a technical one.

For my experience the rendering isn't bad, except at the moment the funky German rifle, but as Ahwulf explained that's being fixed. The game, for me, never crashes unless I cmd-tab, so I don't - don't really need to anyway. In fact PC Squad mates of mine are getting CTHL and CTD (Connection To Host Lost & Crash To Desktop) on a regular basis, every session, and I haven't had one of either for months. Seems in some respects the Mac version is more stable.

Yes, there are performance issues, and yes there are games with far advanced graphics than this one. But that, for me, is not what WWII Online is about. The slightly out-of-date graphics make no odds to an online game that has far and away the best gameplay of any I've tried - and that includes PC games as I have an Intel Mac Book Pro and use Bootcamp forever seeking my 'perfect' game.

The advantages of WWII over other games, for me at least, are the lack of 'L33T' kiddies, the lack of level grinding (sure there is advancement, but it's not the same as the constant levelling treadmill of most MMOGs) and the lack of desire to get the best gear. There's no need for the latter - you don't 'have' gear in this anyway. This is the only, the absolute only, game a very random, very occasional gamer such as myself can come in to when time permits and play on a similar level to others who might be here nearly 24/7.

It's unique. So I'd say testing it over 4 months on different Macs is no way to base a review. You need to settle on one Mac that runs it adequately enough to enjoy, get in to a Squad, go on missions with your squaddies, experience the heart-pounding moments when you're capping a heavily contended CP desperately hoping no EI is going to come through the door to kill you or driving a tank, or flying. Or whatever. But you need to spend time - there's no way, I believe, you could write a reasonable review without it. If you dip in to this game, testing it on different machines as you say, probably trying out, briefly, a lot of the available kit you are, obviously I think, going to come back with negative reviews. But if you stick at one or two things, get in with other players and truly experience the game you'll see it differently.

Answer me this - what other game can get your heart racing because you know, at any second, one well aimed bullet could end you? You're getting closer and closer to that FB planning to place all your satchel charges to help take it down - you've crept past guards, tanks, atgs and aa guns and are within spitting distance of the vehicle spawn waiting for that perfect moment when you can run out, place the charges, and get away all the time knowing some keen eyed EI could spot you and end you, with one shot. That, mate, gets the adrenaline flowing and this game is the only one to do that for me.

Oh yeah, and the gaming commmunity is superb - like I said, very few if any, kiddies here, just a lot of helpful and interested people (with a few idiots thrown in for balance). Try asking for help in game - you'll get it. Try that in a lot of others and you'll get ripped off as a noob.

Ive been Mac gaming for years, Quake, Doom, Some real early FPS games for mac, I cannot even remember their names, MOO2-3, Civ2-3, AA, TA (Which I still play some). I played Quake the longest (2 Years) simply b/c we had it on PC's in the office and we would play that on Beer Fridays.

Well, I pushed the subscriber button 3.5 years ago and have dropped all other games at that moment. I tried Moo3 inbetween b/c I loved Moo2 but it totally sucked, same with Civ3. I play TA when my internet connection is down.

BAR NONE, this game beats every other Mac Game out there. IN gameplay, community, sim play, excitement. If you want to do a review, write your review about how a very small developement team has produced a game thats vision has produced the best gameplay and gaming community on the market AND includes Macs.

Lets put it this way, I can insult my mother, but if you do, I will kick your aZz. Let our community who play deal with our issues, we are the paying customers. We have dealt with issues here and there but the RATs have always pulled through and fixed those issues.... WITH 1 Mac guy... mb you can add that to your review on how awsome this company with 1 Mac guys produces an excellent game. No, Dont write your review about the game write about Mac's lack of attention to OpenGL for Mac games. You want to help us? Write a review about that.

Im the first to whine like a little girl when something doesnt go my way because of Mac performance issues in this game, but I have to agree 100% with the previous well thought out posts.

Dont write your review about the game write about Mac's lack of attention to OpenGL for Mac games. You want to help us? Write a review about that.

AMEN, brother!

When it comes to Mac games, this one is easily one of the top 20 games.

Of course the game does have a number of bugs, part of any upgrade, and being a minority are often the last to be fixed.

but EVENTUALLY the rats always fix it, and then this game will rank in the top 10.

The periods of bugs don't tend to last more then a couple of weeks, but this version has been more bugged then normal.

S~

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0