• Announcements

• HEAVY265

New Forum Lead!   11/17/2019

It's with great pleasure to announce B2K as the new Forum Lead.   I am very confident he will be good for the forums, he has great ideas and direction for the future of the forums.
      Good luck sir and GOD speed.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jackdnls

CTD with Command-Tab?

13 posts in this topic

I did a search and didnt see anything recent about this.

Every time I command-tab out of the game to change my TS channel (or anything else I want to do on the desktop), I immediately CTD.

Is this common to all atm? The search function is pathetic in these forums, so if this has already been rehashed, please just direct me to the link.

TY

I tried to Apple-H once since the latest patch since the readme said it supposedly worked, I got a CTD and haven't tried since.

If you want to switch apps ATM, best way is to only do it at the map screen (ie not spawned in). They seem to still be working out the bugs.

This is what I have discovered:

You can switch apps fine (never had a CTD) at the map screen. You can window the game fine at the map screen.

You can switch apps while spawned in with an 80% chance to CTD. I have managed to switch apps without CTDing a few times, but I wouldn't dare do it in the middle of a mission, no matter how bad I think I need to.

You can window the game first, then spawn in to play in windowed mode, but you end up with a freaky horror movie style white fog where you can only see about 3m (absolute max), and looking inside buildings through doorways or windows looks like the gateway to another dimention.

You can window the game while spawned (though a chance of CTD), but then you get a black fog where you can see about .5m. From some angles you can actually see a fair distance though. I cannot find a way to make the fog go away (f9-f12 doesn't do anything about it).

On the bright side, I have seen progress with .5:

Black screen when exiting via the X no longer causes a black screen at any resolution.

Switching apps never results in video not refreshing anymore (ie, I can switch apps on the first try every time now).

It does seem to work better for some video cards than others. Rick is still working on this, it's not as easy as it seems.

I don't really play on my Powerbook much, because it's 3 years old and runs at about 2 FPS. But every now and then when I just want to test something I do it. I've found that command-tabbing while in the game world just locks me up to a black screen, requiring a hold-the-power-button-down restart. If I do it while spawned out it works fine. Not the best situation, but better than nothing. Someday "soon" I'll be getting a Macbook Pro, which I hope will mean I can contribute to the game meaningfully when on the road, in which case, I will probably care very much about this feature being fixed. :)

Only tried this from the map screen as recommended on a G5 dual 2ghz running 10.4.8 - app switching or trying to go windowed fails every time locking the game up so badly I can't even force quit.

For me it's totally knackered!

However I wonder if a wee haxie I'm using could be the reason? I have PullTab installed so I get back the cmd-tab keystroke to switch tools in apps like Quark and Photoshop. Probably worth turning it off as an experiment though it never affected previous WWII versions in which I could always go the desktop and back again.

Only tried this from the map screen as recommended on a G5 dual 2ghz running 10.4.8 - app switching or trying to go windowed fails every time locking the game up so badly I can't even force quit.

For me it's totally knackered!

However I wonder if a wee haxie I'm using could be the reason? I have PullTab installed so I get back the cmd-tab keystroke to switch tools in apps like Quark and Photoshop. Probably worth turning it off as an experiment though it never affected previous WWII versions in which I could always go the desktop and back again.

I'm on a dual 1.8 with X800. Our systems are similar. Could be your graphics card doesn't handle it right the way it's coded right now. Also, I have 3 gigs of RAM, which should help with app switching. I would say it's probably worth disabling that little app of yours because wwiiol isn't completely polished yet, so there could be many things that can cause problems.

If you want to switch apps ATM' date=' best way is to only do it at the map screen (ie not spawned in). They seem to still be working out the bugs.[/quote']

TY, I will take your advice.

S!

Haven't had a chance to try it, Abidubi, as yet. I rely on the PullTab haxie to make this machine work the way I need for business. Keep forgetting to remove it before I fire up the game!

BTW I also have 3gb ram. 1.24 and switching worked fine.

Not to worry - in all honesty this is much less of a problem to me than the FPS thing which hit us from 1.25 to 1.25.4. That gone, I'm a tad happier.

They are both calling the exact same function. Wether it works or not is apparently a random or environment related thing.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0