Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cad1sc

unusual ways to destroy tanks

12 posts in this topic

Surfing Internet I've found this:

lets talk about unusual ways , how the enemy tanks have been destroyed

it means any other methods than these where soldiers were using a cannons/turrets/tanks or AT weapons.im talking about extra crazy methods , like digging a hole or something.molotovs and bazookas are not counting in this thread...

some of the incidents i toke from books - like "blood and ice"

in that book germans use 2 great methods :

they damaged high-voltage cable so it would fall on the tank turning it into the electric chair and causing it tu burn down.

or they did put some gasoline on street and when enemy tank was driving over it , someone droped a flare.

years ago my friends was in Riga and heard that one german sniper in

church tower fired into a tanks turret and i think its easy to imagine what happens if the bullet hits shell when its in the turret.

bullets are dangerous too when they barge into whatever tank.

've heard of shermans firing smoke at tigers making the crew think they were on fire making them bail out. Of course burning phosphorus metal which is used for smoke sheels might even have cuased serious damage to the material of the tiger as well. Not to mention probably preventing it from seeing you and swatting you back.
During the first attack on Tobruk in April 1941, a German Mark 111 was disabled by an Australian infantryman driving a crowbar (iron bar) into its drive spocket, the tank threw a tread and as it was surrounded by hostile infantry, the crew sensibly surrendered.

There are more histories in the thread:

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=47324

Do you believe the history about the sniper firing the cannon?

Well there are the field expedient method like the box mine.

Basically a box filled with explosives and a firing mechanism.

During the winter war 1939-1940, Finns stuck logs, crowbars, whatever to the tracks of soviet tanks to immobilize them first and to second set them on fire with molotovs.

Ps. The name "molotovs coctail" is Finnish invention :cool:

Behold the Australian Infantryman. Tough, uncompromising, adaptable and inventive.

And never without a pinchbar. Nevermind why he has it. Oh, and would you happen to be in the market for a watch?

I imagine that WP smoke rounds would seriously suck if you were driving with any manner of hatch open.

I demand CRS immediately models Australian Forces and that we have a slouch hat on our heads and a crowbar in our hands.

That'll send the filthy hun running.

From the wiki article on satchel charges ( http://wiki.wwiionline.com/index.php/Satchel_Charge ):

Satchel charges were not the only improvised anti-tank weapons. Molotov cocktails, which contained petrol, a thickener, and a fuse, and other fire-based weapons could succeed if they set the vehicle’s engine afire or somehow found their way into the fighting compartment. “Military Training Pamphlet No. 42: Tank Hunting and Destruction”, a British Army publication produced in August 1940, included even more desperate measures. It suggests that a team of four can take out tanks with a length of railway track, a blanket, a bucket of petrol, and matches. The team was to hide in an alleyway or alongside a house where the tank is expected to pass. Two men hold the railway track with the blanket draped over it. As the tank passes the hiding place, these two run out and jam the railway track into the tank’s suspension. The third man throws the bucket of petrol over the blanket, now entangled in the track, and the fourth sets it on fire. Another plan from that booklet is for a single man with a hammer and hand grenade to station himself near the expected route of a tank. When the tank passes, the man is to jump onto the passing tank and pound on the turret hatch with the hammer. When the tank commander opens the hatch to find out what is going on, the attacker is to drop the hand grenade inside. There is no record of these tactics ever being attempted.

Desperate measures (in addition, The Red Army):

1. Small arms fire targeting the slits;

2. Digging the tanktraps and covering them with planks and dirt (the anti-tank trenches just like other visible obstacles sold separately);

3. Blinding the crew with cloth over the slits and hatches;

4. Using the bundles of ordinary or heavier "anti-tank" handgrenades. The thrower was dead to the explosion in many cases, the bundles were very heavy to have any effect and had to be tossed close range.

Behold the Australian Infantryman. Tough, uncompromising, adaptable and inventive.

And never without a pinchbar. Nevermind why he has it. Oh, and would you happen to be in the market for a watch?

Appears to be an urban myth:

"So I eventually landed up in an anti-tank platoon! We were a two-man team and the idea was that if a tank came along we would hide in a fold in the ground and hoped that the German tank - or Italian tank as it was at that stage - would come near enough for me to jump up and stick a crow bar into its tracks so that the tank would have to stop! Then we hoped that the tank commander would say, "Here, here, here, what's happened now?" and he'd open the hatch and put his head out, and my No. 2 would then jump up and pop a hand grenade into the tank!! The best part about this idea was we never did it for real!! We later got good anti-tank guns and equipment which we used, but I'm sure that I would not have survived a single attack had I ever had to try this crow-bar business."

During the winter war 1939-1940, Finns stuck logs, crowbars, whatever to the tracks of soviet tanks to immobilize them first and to second set them on fire with molotovs.

And suffered terrible losses in the process.

Why do all of that when you can stick a man-purse full of TNT, cover it in superglue and stick it on a tank?

Why do all of that when you can stick a man-purse full of TNT' date=' cover it in superglue and stick it on a tank?[/quote']

Superglue is Tier 28!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0