Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest zype_

New computer

48 posts in this topic

I'm on the 14-day trial right now and I really like the game but sometimes I've got so much lag it's impossible to enjoy it, like 1 frame every 10-20 seconds. Pretty much always when I enter the game world I have to wait up to 5 minutes and as much as 10 minutes if I'm in a vehicle before I can even move because of lag. Video settings in down the bottom. I need some advice on the new purchase.

Right now I've got these specs (Fujitsu Siemens) and it's 3 years old:

--------------------

P4 3.0 ghz

512 mb RAM

ATI Radeon 256 mb (not sure about model)

XP Pro sp2

--------------------

I've found a nice one (HP PAVILION M7740) with these specs:

--------------------

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Dual-Core (2.2 ghz)

2 gb RAM

ATI Radeon X1700SE Avivo 512 mb

Vista Home Premium

--------------------

The price is about 1600 USD and that includes a 20" HP flat screen which I also need. If I buy it on my company which I probably will, I don't need to pay VAT so that takes 25% off the price. Pretty good deal I think :)

RAM memory is probably what I'm lacking the most with my current one. The HP can take up to 4 gb RAM so I could put in 2 more 1gb sticks. Will 2 gb be enough? I have read the requirements so I know it sais 1gb is recommended but I asked someone in-game and he said his 5gb wasn't even enough I would like to hear more players opinions.

I've read a few threads here and it seems some have problems with Vista. If I want to be sure I guess I can wait a little while. Any idea of when there will be a new patch that supports Vista? I wouldn't really want to buy a new computer with XP.

Would this HP be able to make me fully enjoy the game?

the basic response

You game experience is better than I thought with your specs

1gig ram minimum, 2 gig ideal (anymore its a wasted as hard to tell any difference)

The game code is better suited to nvidia cards...than ATI (alot more ppl in this forum have ATi issues than nvidia..fact) these days 7800 series a good goer

that CPu you stated would be suitable, some new code is around the corner that should help (dual core wont matter to much for wwiiol, but will help with other things that you do anyways)

that set up, I would say you would have fairly normal game experience with around 30 fps..(if running XP)

****just a opinion, but any of those pre built for the masses computer (dell, HP, etc) are not a wise choice for games, and I would say, you will have poorer results, just due to the bog standard, cheap component inside, driver issues and no flexability to modify/upgrade were needed...

for example, no expansion slot, AGp only, some dont even have spare PCI slot for a dedicated soundcard, pre loaded windows, with huge amounts of exceess labouring programs, that make it run like a dog, when the going gets tuff********

but VISTA will stop you in the tracks, its a hit and miss, not supported and purly a gamble to expect it to run wwiiol ATM

Is a dual boot drive a option and run XP?

http://forums.battlegroundeurope.com/showthread.php?t=45257 one easy thing to try and its not a cure by no means is to go to your game settings and turn every thing thing down to performance.

Right click on your play game icon and select properties, then select compatiablity then change mode to windows nt.

Set your sound levels in game setting to min.

I'm no puter tech but check your directx and make sure it's 9.0c ( I think this is the latest.

Make sure your anti virus is turned off and set your fire wall to allow battleground europe.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/directx/default.mspx

This is a little dated but the theory is correct

I agree about prebuilt computers but it will have to do for now. I might spend more time and build it myself next time. Sounds like the specs are gonna be fine besides the ATI card but I use a ATI card now without problems. I might get this one and try Vista but if it doesn't work then install XP until there's patch. Does anyone know when there might be a patch with support for Vista? How long? Weeks? Months?

Graphic settings can't go any lower.

that video card is intergrated there buddy. look more. off board gpu or nothing.

for 796$ im upgrading to a Athlon 64 X2 4200+ 2048MB DDR2 800 EVGA 8800GTS and a asus M2n Sli Deluxe. but i already own a enermax 600W sli power supply, asus vento 3600 chassis and the other goodies.

i'd cost about 950$ to build it from scratch. but if you can build it your self you can see the amount of money you can save.

plus that new puter has vista.. it isnt supported by ww2 yet.

pre built, I mean like I said Dell, Hp etc...

go to the local computer shop, who will build it for you with compoments (not the wal-mart store)

Vista...rats have said they wont even look at it untill the service pack 1 comes out, even then it will take some months after that, I dont see any support for a year or so

You can get this for $1528 incl VAT but without shipping. You might be able to find the components cheaper in the US. It depends on where you live as this is a UK online shop.

This doesn't include a monitor but it would be insanely faster then the HP spec you have and I assume you can use your old monitor until you can get a new one? If you really need a monitor then you can lower the graphics card cost and get rid of the soundcard if you don't need it. That should let you squeeze in a 20inch LCD.

Benefits of this spec:

mobo and C2D combo that can reach atleast 3Ghz with some people reaching 3.4Ghz on air.

DX10 graphics card

2GB of excellend quality Geil RAM that is able to reach 950mhz with some reaching up to 1050mhz.

Nice dedicated sound card.

Fantastic case that is excellent at cooling with additional fans.

250GB SATA hdd to add to your other drives. (you can get rid of this if you don't need extra harddrives and add the cost to your monitor fund)

system1zo6.png

You're right, I should handpick what I need instead. It's just that I'm not much of tech, how do you know two components will work together?

Ok, I've now choosen a few I think will fit together. I may be right but I may also be completely wrong. It was fun choosing and (if the parts are compitable) it wasn't very hard :)

It was hard not take the best of everything lol so it turned out -a bit- more expensive than the prebuilt one but I'll just have to save a little longer.

cpu:

INTEL CORE 2 DUO E6600 2.4GHZ 4MB 1066MHZ S-775

motherboard:

INTEL D975XBX2 I975X SKT-775 ATX

ram:

CORSAIR 2GB DDR2 PC6400 800MHZ XMS2 XTREME (2X1GB) HEATZINK

main harddrive:

2X WESTERN DIGITAL RAPTOR 74GB 10000RPM SATA/150

I read an article and you can appearently connect 2 into 1 by "RAID 0" whatever that is. Also do you agree that I should go for 10000rpm to make sure the harddrive won't become a bottleneck?

secondary harddrive:

SEAGATE BARRACUDA 7200.10 750GB 7200RPM SATA/300

fans:

ARCTIC COOLING CPU-FAN SOCKET775 FREEZER 7 PRO

ACOUSTI 120X120MM DUSTPROOF

gfx card:

BFG GEFORCE 8800GTS 320MB OC HDTV DVI-I HDCP PCI-E

or:

BFG GEFORCE 7950GT 512MB OC DVI HDTV PCI-E

Which one should I choose? The 7950 is cheaper than the 8800 and it has more memory. Does the 8800 have something better that is more important than the memory?

sound card:

CREATIVE SOUND BLASTER X-FI XTREMEGAMER

network:

D-LINK DWA-547 RANGEBOOSTER N 650 W-LAN PCI

chassi:

CHIEFTEC MESH BIGTOWER SILVER/BLACK 400W

It appearently comes with a psu but is 400W enough? I found a nice one with 650W. Should I use the one that comes with it?

keyboard & mouse:

LOGITECH CORDLESS DESKTOP MX5000 LASER (BLUETOOTH)

headset:

SPEEDLINK HEADSET MEDUSA 5.1 PROGAMER

monitor:

HP W22 22# WIDE TCO-03 TFT

Total cost is about 3700 USD (- 25% = 2775 USD) + the cost of a professional putting it together. I may I have to wait 1 or 2 months extra with this price but it's probably worth it.

Also, what's the difference between a OS with 32-bit and 64-bit? The Vista Home Premium with 32 costs as much the one with 64. I'm gonna install Vista on the main harddrive and then put my current main drive in it with XP on it until the game supports Vista.

Comments on the setup please. See any bottlenecks? Something I should prioritize more? Something more I need? Something I don't need? Is everything compitable?

You're right, I should handpick what I need instead. It's just that I'm not much of tech, how do you know two components will work together?

Most all of them do. Plug and Play. A little homework online can eliminate compatability issues.

Before you buy a MB get the model # and go to the manufactures website. All big name companies have forums. Check em out. What kind of problems are other people having. A few hours spent looking will save you headaches and you can learn from others mistakes.

If you have a question on a particular part. Go ahead and post it here there's quite a few people here that know hardware. We'll help you save money and get a better machine to boot. Just ask.

The machine that darg listed is a great one. Probably exactly what I'd recommend. Some minor changes could be made. An Asus 650i SLI MB is only a few bucks more and since most run gforce cards in this game you'll have the SLI option in your back pocket. I also like a nice cooler on my CPU. The one he listed is good but you can do better for a minimal additional investment.

Just discuss your build here and you'll have a team of people to help. It really is much much easier than people think.

Just keep another machine handy to jump on forums and ask questions. Ask before you buy if possible.

GOod luck S!

The hard drive won't be a bottleneck. When you're in game as long as you have enough ram you won't run on your hard drive at all. 10,000 rpm drives are a little of a waste of money to me. They're not as reliable as slower ones and they only speed up load, unload, and moving files around on your computer. They won't give you 1 fps.

If you're getting a intel 975chipset. Get an Abit AW9D-max.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813127011

The intel boards don't quite have the overclocking options or the good cooling solutions of the more enthusiest brands. Other than that it's the same board.

This is a much better cpu cooler. It's on sale for $45 too! the Zalman9500

I'm using one right now and Idling at 29degrees celcius overclocked from 266-400fsb. The Zalmans have a great mounting system too compared to the other you have listed

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835118223

Far as video card the 7950 is a good card but the 8800 is considerably faster. It's got less memory which won't really be a problem in WW2. In some highly textured games the 8800 will run out of vram memory room when computing textures and have to acces the pci bus hence slowing it down but this is only at the highest detail levels at the highest resolutions. In every other instance the 8800 will signifigantly outperform the 7950 even with less memory.

Ok, then I might as well take a slower harddrive:

WESTERN DIGITAL RE 320GB SATA/300 16MB

I don't even know what 975chipset means so I could take something else if you have anything special to recommend. Like you said, a motherboard that supports SLI would be good in case I want it in the future so I don't need to change the mobo as well. How about this one:

ASUS P5N32-E SLI PLUS SOCKET 775 SLI ATX

btw now when reading about the other one, if I understood it correctly, it can't take 800 mhz ram memory so it might not have worked anyway. The ASUS one costs only a little more.

This fan instead:

ZALMAN CNPS9700 LED ULTRA QUIET CPU COOLER

it's very little more expensive than the 9500.

And the 8800 it is then unless someone else has something to add :)

The Zalman9700 is HUGE and I'm not kidding that's why I capitalized huge. I'd get it if you can. Be aware you need a large case with nothing sticking in from the side. This cooler will nearly touch the side panel of the case. It's that big. It is the same design as the 9500 but 120mm instead of 92mm. It's nice and quiet compared to the 9500 because of the slower rpm fan. Both are great coolers. The Zalman9700 is arguably the best air cooler on the market.

The motherboard you linked the Asus P5N32-E is a very nice MB. About as new as it gets too. It's only been out about a month. There is a version with a few less options for only $139. Heres a link to that one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131142

Here's the full price version.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131153

I tend to get as nice a MB as I can afford though and skimp in other areas. I'd even consider a nicer MB with an e6400 over a so-so MB and an e6600. Mostly because I know the performance difference can be made up overclocking the 6400. If you get a Zalman 9700 you have to overclock. There's no reason to get one otherwise. The stock cooler is sufficient for stock speeds.

Sounds good about the motherboard. I'll go with the more expensive one since it has higher limits on ram memory speed, etc. so I got some upgradeability.

About the fan. The chassi I chose is enormous so maybe it won't be a problem?

http://www.chieftec.de/?page=products_show&item=3502&k_id=1&language=de

I have no idea how to clock a computer but if it's risk-free with this fan, I might look for a guide on how to do it.

Since I had gotten used to the high price before it dropped because I chose a slower harddrive, I've decied to go with the FG GEFORCE 8800GTS 640MB OC HDTV DVI-I HDCP PCI-E instead :)

Current list:

CORSAIR 2GB DDR2 PC6400 XMS2 XTREME (2X1GB) HEATZINK

WESTERN DIGITAL RE 320GB 7200RPM SATA/300 16MB

SEAGATE BARRACUDA 750GB 7200RPM SATA/300 16MB

BFG GEFORCE 8800GTS 640MB OC HDTV DVI-I HDCP PCI-E

CREATIVE SOUND BLASTER X-FI XTREMEGAMER

ZALMAN CNPS9700 LED ULTRA QUIET CPU COOLER

[2X] ACOUSTI 120X120MM DUSTPROOF

SUNBEAM SP-BA 20-I-1 FRONTPANEL LCD BLACK

I'll also need a DVD reader/writer.

Total price 3500 USD :)

ZALMAN CNPS9700 LED ULTRA QUIET CPU COOLER dump that replace with the cheaper but cools far better here.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835154001

Some proof as to why here.

http://anandtech.com/showdoc.aspx?i=2932&p=2

snippit,

If you are looking for value - the best performance and noise control for your dollar - then there are much better choices in the market than the Zalman 9500 and 9700. The top Tuniq Tower 120 and Cooler Master Hyper 6+ perform better.

hyper 6+

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835103162

Or easiest way is to follow darg's advise. I thought that was a hell of a deal he setup.

The Tuniq tower is $65 and out of stock. For $45 the Zalman is a good alternative. I looked at your review. I wouldn't pay over 50 for one but they look awsome in a case and do perform excellent, even if 1 or 2 models can beat them by a few degrees. They cost more.

The coolermaster hyper6 is a great deal but it gets beat by the Zalmans in your review. I think that's probably the best deal though. Good find.

Flip a coin it really isn't that critical, these are all great coolers compared to stock. If you don't have alot of pc building experience maybe you'd have an easier time mounting a Zalman? Possibly.

I can't seem to find that monsoonII lite at newegg or zipzoomfly. Those are the only places I generally buy from. I'd be interested as it seems to really perform.

I will admit my 9500 is a little noisy but it's nothing I can't handle I'm not a quiet pc freak. My headphones are usually up so loud it really doesn't matter to me.

I like that MB.

The Tuniq tower is $65 and out of stock. For $45 the Zalman is a good alternative. I looked at your review. I wouldn't pay over 50 for one but they look awsome in a case and do perform excellent, even if 1 or 2 models can beat them by a few degrees. They cost more.

The coolermaster hyper6 is a great deal but it gets beat by the Zalmans in your review. I think that's probably the best deal though. Good find.

Flip a coin it really isn't that critical, these are all great coolers compared to stock. If you don't have alot of pc building experience maybe you'd have an easier time mounting a Zalman? Possibly.

I can't seem to find that monsoonII lite at newegg or zipzoomfly. Those are the only places I generally buy from. I'd be interested as it seems to really perform.

I will admit my 9500 is a little noisy but it's nothing I can't handle I'm not a quiet pc freak. My headphones are usually up so loud it really doesn't matter to me.

I like that MB.

Since he is new at this i didnt think he would want to donate blood to his rig straight away. and i read many a review about the 9700's slicing and dicing as they get installed. might as well give him some options not just go with the herd as it were.

If you don't have a wireless router you don't need this.

If you have a wireless router it is likely it is an 802.11b/802.11g compatible router so you don't want this. Just get an 802.11g compatible card.

Be aware that the 802.11n specification is still in Draft and isn't expected to be finalised until mid 2009 so equipment designed and built to the Draft specification may or may not end up being compatible with the final specification.

If you have a matching router, ignore me.

Since he is new at this i didnt think he would want to donate blood to his rig straight away. and i read many a review about the 9700's slicing and dicing as they get installed. might as well give him some options not just go with the herd as it were.

You've got to christen it with something... for WW2 it might as well be blood! =)

I heard about all that but honestly I've put them in and I tried to cut myself a little just to see how sharp it was. I'm not sure what everyone's talking about. You have to grab and hold the sink to mount it and I didn't get a scratch.

The Zalmans do have a nice brace system that fits behind the board for extra support and are attached all with phillips screws. I hate the new clip system many intel cooler use. That big chunk of copper will look sweet with that MB's copper north and southbridge coolers next to it.

What I was talking about is all the people with the coolermaster that said they had to redrill the holes for mounting and that the screws weren't long enough.

I'm an old thermalright fan but strangely most of their good heatsinks have been sold out for months. I had to buy the Zalman because I looked for 2 months straight and they were sold out, I get all my components at the same place I don't pay shipping twice to Alaska.

Here's a place that they're in stock. These guys used to always have the best stuff.

http://www.crazypc.com/products/thermalright_ultra-120-50982.html

Here's a tuniq tower in stock for $54 if you want the best.

http://www.crazypc.com/products/tuniq_tower_120-5047.html

At the place I'm gonna buy these they don't have those other ones you mentioned but the ZALMAN seems good enough for my needs. I probably should take the 9500 though since the weight of the 9700 is appearently a bit risky when moving the computer. Also I like that blue led the ZALMAN has :)

About the network card. I do have a wireless router and the card is back compitable with current standard. Of course I could take the normal one but this one was only 7 USD more and it's got 3 antennas so it looks neat :D

Oh and I'm gonna take this sound card instead:

CREATIVE SOUND BLASTER X-FI XTREMEGAMER FATAL1TY

It has everything the non-FATAL1TY version has but also 64MB X-RAM, whatever that is, it ought to be something good. It also costs just a little more.

WESTERN DIGITAL RE 320GB 7200RPM SATA/300 16MB

ZALMAN CNPS9500LED SKT-478/775/754/939/940

ACOUSTI 120X120MM DUSTPROOF

SUNBEAM SP-BA 20-I-1 FRONTPANEL LCD BLACK

SAMSUNG DVD±R/RW/RAM DL LS 18X S-ATA BULK BLACK

It's shaping up, the list looks very nice now! I think I'm gonna have someone else put this together for me but I'll ask if I can watch when they do it in case I learn something.

Is the 400W PSU the comes with the chassi enough? I'm trying to justify getting one with a blue led lol.

No I wouldn't recommend only a 400 watt that comes with the case for that beautiful a computer otherwise. Especially for an 8800 and if you're thinking of running 2 video cards in the future.

This is an excellent power supply. Very underated even for 520watts. The Corsair hx520 built by seasonic.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817139001

It's hard to tell in the picture but it looks like you have an 8pin aux power plug on the MB. You probably want a power supply with one and one that comes with a case probably won't have one. The PSU I linked does.

I'm confused on which ram you're using. These are a great deal and have all the quality of corsair sticks IMO. They run very tight timings for the money.

You may be able to save a few dollars without sacraficing performance with them.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820609026

2 gigs is all that is necessary. Don't waste money on more right now. Put it into other parts like a better video card.

These gigabyte cases are very nice. High quality. All aluminum, huge.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811233002

I like this deal on a case too. Very cool design. They used to have black too but sold out.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811103008

I have to say that I wouldn't use wireless for internet gaming. A wire is nice and stable. Wireless that I've seen drops you too much I had friends try to go wireless for gaming and ended up switching back. Not like you won't have any cords running from your computer anyway. The MB comes with built in network ports that work fine.

I like this one. If I understood it correctly, it doesn't have 8-pin. Are there any adapters for these?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817379003

I should have a look at more cases. They only had one model at the shop I was looking at and it seemed nice but I see now that there are some nicer designs to choose from.

I'll skip the wireless network card to keep the cost down since I don't really need it. The wireless router has slots for cables as well so I'll just move the router to where ever I put the computer, at least for now.

I found the case I want :)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811103011

It looks like an air-conditioning unit lol! Great airflow and very silent. Very positive reviews. Only 114 USD!

Update:

WESTERN DIGITAL RE 160GB 7200RPM SATA/300 16MB

XCLIO WINDTUNNEL CHASSIS FULL TOWER

ZALMAN PSU 600W-HP SILENT

*Might need an adapter for the PSU if it exists, if not, I'll have to choose another PSU.

Changed a few small things to reduce price. 160gb instead of 320gb main hdd, 160 is enough, costed half as much as 320 and won't take as long to format it. Removed the extra fans since the new chassis has 2 enormous ones included. Now back at around 3500 USD.

Thank you for being so helpful. Without your knowledge I would most likely have ended up with the prebuilt one probably not 100% satisfied.

did mine for 800$

Evga Geforce 8800GTS 320MB KO Superclock editon (faster then the BFG)

2048MB DDR2 800

M2n Sli Deluxe

250GB SATA 3G

Athlon 64 X2 4200+

I found the case I want :)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811103011

It looks like an air-conditioning unit lol! Great airflow and very silent. Very positive reviews. Only 114 USD!

Update:

WESTERN DIGITAL RE 160GB 7200RPM SATA/300 16MB

XCLIO WINDTUNNEL CHASSIS FULL TOWER

ZALMAN PSU 600W-HP SILENT

*Might need an adapter for the PSU if it exists, if not, I'll have to choose another PSU.

Changed a few small things to reduce price. 160gb instead of 320gb main hdd, 160 is enough, costed half as much as 320 and won't take as long to format it. Removed the extra fans since the new chassis has 2 enormous ones included. Now back at around 3500 USD.

Thank you for being so helpful. Without your knowledge I would most likely have ended up with the prebuilt one probably not 100% satisfied.

I was going to link you that case this morning but I thought I'd get laughed at.. =) It does look like an air conditioner. I think it's cool. I do like to have a side window though. You spent all that money it's nice if you can see the parts without taking the side off. You can also tell when they are getting dirty and need to be blown off.

I don't think you'll need an adapter for that power supply. If you're refering to how your new PSU has an 8pin 12volt plug don't worry I looked at the pic the 8 pin snaps apart to plug into a 4 if that's what you have so it's compatable with both without an adapter. It should come with all the wires you need.

Cool power supply but the corsair hx520 I linked earlier is $20 cheaper and it's every bit the power supply. Modular too just like the one you picked. Don't worry about the slightly lower watt rating the corsair unit is rated at 50 celcius which I'm told reduces the rating. It's got the power of a 700watt rated at 40 celcius which is where all other PSU's are rated at.

I'm wondering why it sounds so expensive. How much is your ram?

I also see your HP monitor. I have to tell you I've seen a few and Samsung has never let me down. Top quality monitors and not all that expensive either. It's pretty much the only brand I would recommend far as flat screens go.

Here's the Samsung equivalent to what you got on the list. I'd be interested to see the price difference. This has nice height adjustment. I've come to find only the cool flat screens have height adjustment and I really like it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824001083

I'm glad to help you'll be much more satisfied picking each part yourself. It'll be like cooking with gas compared to your old PC. Beats the pants off of a dell.

If I were you I'd buy myself an e6300 for $180 bucks. The same other parts you have. Load up windows, update the bios on the MB slap the ram into a 1:1 ratio with the fsb, and raise the clock speed to 400x7. That's 2.8 at 1600 fsb, way faster than the e6600 that you have listed at stock speeds for a lot cheaper. I run that myself with the same cooler on a way earlier stepping of the chip. You have the cooling for it and the MB and ram to get some potential out of that chip. You could probably go higher but I'm just giving you guaranteed #'s so you don't feel let down... =)

That's just me, to each his own... S!

cpubench.gif

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0