Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

American units

svt40

Ok I have not seen the US units in game (RA) yet. But after looking at this picture I have some questions for the modeller.

us_smile.jpg

First off I am very excited to see the US come to the game...finally!

So here is the first issue. From previous screenies I saw that all of the soldiers were wearing M1928 packs so I'll start with that first. In this screenshot it appears that all the soldiers are wearing the M1936 suspenders. These suspenders preclude the use of the M1928 haversack. You could use the M1936 mussette bag (as the upcoming airborne troops should be as well as infantry officers).

Also when looking at the rear of the M1928 pack, specifically at the entrenching tool. You have given the soldiers the M1943 folding shovel, which is fine. However you gave the e-tool the earlier M1910 T handle shovel cover which cannot be used with the M1943 model. They are very different looking from each other.

Now for the BAR trooper. He has the M1910/M1923 cartridge belt which is about useless for a BAR man. Unless he is loading his one magazine from a stripper clip! He should have the M1936 BAR belt. Six large pockets designed to hold 12 BAR magazines. VERY different from the infantry cartridge belt. M1936 suspenders would be typical for the BAR man or even the medic yokes.

The last guy in the screenie. He is wearing what appears to be the M1936 pistol belt but it is the USMC only version and apparently time warped from the 1960's!! The army version only had ONE snap. The WWII marine version had only ONE snap. The version this soldier in the screenie is wearing was introduced as the M1961 pistol belt for use with the M14 rifle!

So what are you wearing right now? Is it period-correct for 2011?

You should be glad that Toto and Bloo didn't develop your wardrobe, or you'd look even wierder than you probably already do.

You should be glad that Toto and Bloo didn't develop your wardrobe, or you'd look even wierder than you probably already do.

LOL nope. A pair of tiger strip BDU pants and a sweatshirt.

But then again I am no longer in the military and when I was I did wear what was correct.

But as a collector of 20th century U.S. military uniforms I notice these things.

this ad hominem was uncalled for.

Although you might be right (im not expert on ww2 american apparel), this really is nitpicking. OK, maybe the BAR ammopouch will be noticed by players ...

this ad hominem was uncalled for.

Although you might be right (im not expert on ww2 american apparel), this really is nitpicking. OK, maybe the BAR ammopouch will be noticed by players ...

It may be nitpicking but if other games can get it correct then I'd hope the Rats can and will fix these errors.

I may not play the game very much anymore but I am still a big fan of it and promote it every chance I get. But I also want to make sure that everything is as accurate as possible.

It's why i posted this and also posted about tank crewmen in the wrong uniforms, antitank gun crews in the wrong uniforms, as well as the errors with the German uniforms. I just hope to see it done correctly.

Also since I live just outside of Dallas (bout an hour down I-30) I am more than willing to make a trip to the Rat kingdom with some uniforms and equipment that they can get their mits on and study.

Thanks for point those things out, it's great that we have people like on this game that helps it do quality control since CRS is understaff some of that work should be done or helped by the community.

I don't want this game to be a world of tanks(I play lots of WW2 games and never cross my mind on trying that game since I believe this game is miles ahead on WoT). I want a realistic historical combat simulator that if possible teaches also about history and give you a perspective of what those soldiers endured.

Good points. I'll ask BLOO to comment. Most of this research came from long threads in beta but some of it is just dealing with what's available.

Kinda like there still being a pistol in the holster after it's drawn. What-cha-gonna do.

I will send this to BLOO to see if he can incorporate any changes based on what we have now. Or he might want to discuss it further. He's pretty good with the researches but that's not his hobby and hobbyist tend to know all the minutae way better than we will.

Thanks, SVT40.

M1936 Suspenders because not everyone would have the haversack and modeling troopers with and without the suspenders is not cost effective. So everyone has the suspenders.

E-tool given T handle for polygon efficiency and re-use with anticipated US paratrooper.

BAR guy is wearing the right belt, but the size of the pockets may be a bit small. He's got 3 pockets on each side, the rifleman has 5.

Pistol holser only has one snap that I can see. You'll have to be more precise (pictures, references). I'm looking at 1943 versions of the holster for the Army and it looks correct.

Thanks, SVT40.

M1936 Suspenders because not everyone would have the haversack and modeling troopers with and without the suspenders is not cost effective. So everyone has the suspenders.

Makes sense

E-tool given T handle for polygon efficiency and re-use with anticipated US paratrooper.

Must have changed since I saw the D-day beach screenshots. In those screenies the troopers had the M1943 folding shovel in a M1910 T handle cover.

BAR guy is wearing the right belt' date=' but the size of the pockets may be a bit small. He's got 3 pockets on each side, the rifleman has 5.[/quote']

If so then the pockets just need to be enlarged by a large amount and made more square.

Pistol holser only has one snap that I can see. You'll have to be more precise (pictures' date=' references). I'm looking at 1943 versions of the holster for the Army and it looks correct.[/quote']

I'm referring to the belt itself. The M1912/M1936 pistol belts had one snap to the left of the buckle to attach a single .45 magazine or carbine pouch to. In 1961 the Marines adopted the M1961 pistol belt that had snaps all the way around to hold the new M14 magazine pouches. Which is what this soldier appears to be wearing.

The M1916 holster should have just a single brass/steel stud that goes through a hole in the flap.

Like I offered before I have just about everything you would need to model any sort of loadout for a WWII US soldier including early war airborne. I am more than willing to bring some stuff to you guys to take a gander at or let you come see the whole collection at my place just east of Dallas.

I'm referring to the belt itself. The M1912/M1936 pistol belts had one snap to the left of the buckle to attach a single .45 magazine or carbine pouch to. In 1961 the Marines adopted the M1961 pistol belt that had snaps all the way around to hold the new M14 magazine pouches. Which is what this soldier appears to be wearing.

Ah, now I understand you. It's a similar deal to the suspenders. With no cartridges (guy on the far right), you'll see them all wearing the M1936 pistol belt. The different types of cartridges get laid on top of that. And...yeah that shiny snap should only be on the first section - looks like it got tiled.

Like I offered before I have just about everything you would need to model any sort of loadout for a WWII US soldier including early war airborne. I am more than willing to bring some stuff to you guys to take a gander at or let you come see the whole collection at my place just east of Dallas.

I must have missed this offer. :(