Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

after new patch, the issues with game not reading the XML and changing resolution appear on US windows with english characters

Merlin51

After the patch that was just put out, now i am seeing the issue steam people had, game keeps reverting to 800X600
and wont save the changes or possibly wont read the XML?

settings.exe has to right, ww2.exe isnt reading the xml though and has all options defaulted.

Steam version which had a 400mb update works correctly in correct resolution.
Both use same cfml and xmls

Edited by merlin51

Did some testing and i can verify the non steam game is not reading the XML in c:\users\user.pc-name\documents\battleground europe, but the steam version is.
I can make changes to the XML and launch the steam version and see the changes, the non steam acts like a 1st time launch.

I will try a full reinstall later, for tonight ill just run playgate out of the steam folder

Edited by merlin51

• Registered Users
7 hours ago, merlin51 said:

Did some testing and i can verify the non steam game is not reading the XML in c:\users\user.pc-name\documents\battleground europe, but the steam version is.
I can make changes to the XML and launch the steam version and see the changes, the non steam acts like a 1st time launch.

I will try a full reinstall later, for tonight ill just run playgate out of the steam folder

That user name, \user.pc-name\  it has that . and - in it? 

And, you do have 2 separate installs? steam and organic.....you are not using the playgate in steam  and trying to use a different user to launch that way?

• Registered Users

Merlin, the pc user account that can't use the settings, you do have it set as admin on that machine? I think the game settings app requires admin.

5 hours ago, Scking said:

Can you lay out specifically what your doing so I can try to replicate the issue? I cant seem to replicate it.

Ok

I have 2 installs of the game, 1 normal that worked prepatch and 1 steam which always worked

normal game is installed to d:\games\battleground europe

steam game is installed to d:\games\steam\steamapps\common\wwiionline

both installs of course share the same user data folder for xml cfml etc

that folder is c:\users\ron.ugly-pc\documents\battleground europe
(usernames format being username.domain)

Yes user is admin, but made no difference when i tried it logged in as Administrator

Process to launch game
non steam, run c:\games\battleground europe\playgate.exe
steam native, launch from steam
steam legacy, run c:\games\steam\steamapps\common\wwiionline\playgate.exe

opening settings.exe from either location shows the correct resolution
and if i change the resolution and save, it does in fact change the XML

But the non steam installation does not read the XML at all,  in fact it opens every time with the 1st time launch process
with the UI settings all default, chat font and channels all default and you have to click the credits to exit.

Now that being said, if i run the steam version in legacy mode via playgate, it pops up lets me log in pick server and ww2.exe launches
and it reads the XML and my resolution is correct, i can change the resolution, chat font and channels and UI is exactly as i have it set etc.

Now, more fun...

I move XML out of the folder.
I run ww2.exe out of the steam apps folder
BAM! it creates new XML on 1st launch, which is what it is supposed to do, and it saves the settings.

delete that XML
run ww2.exe from the standard install folder
change settings but no change takes place, message simply says game must be restarted to apply changes after saving
exit game
WAH WAH WAAAAAH!
no XML created even.

repeated all this on Administrator account too btw.

Want even stranger?
It reads the CFML's fine in both versions, it reads the custom .calib files fine in both versions
But the non steam install hasnt a clue about ww2.xml

Update patch for steam version was 400 odd MB
Update patch i received for non steam was all of 4MB (which dont seem right?)
neither patch had any error on install.

And then i ran out of time as i had to leave home to go back to work.
Last thing i did was a full uninstall of the non steam game. But ran out of time to reinstall it full and retry.
The steam client works fine for both steam and legacy, so it would  not seem to be a folder name, account, permissions issue
because both game clients are accessing the same data files in the exact same folder path.
Both use same exact XML and CFML, and it is strangely odd that the non steam install would not read or create an XML but was perfectly cool with the CFML's and .calib's

The patch downloaded is still in its folder, is possible a bad download i guess
Wont be until midnight thursday that i will be home again to look at it very well, vnc over phone only works so well.

6 hours ago, OldZeke said:

That user name, \user.pc-name\  it has that . and - in it? 

And, you do have 2 separate installs? steam and organic.....you are not using the playgate in steam  and trying to use a different user to launch that way?

yes  PC names can not have spaces so it uses a -
and users folder naming format is username.domain and i sign in local for games etc so .\username at which point the domain becomes the PC itself

Yes i have 2 installs, steam and non steam

and fwiw the playgate in the steam install works fine, can sign in a  legacy account no problem, but forget about playgate and think of it this way
launching ww2.exe from steam folder results in XML being read and correct resolution that is recorded in xml displayed
launching ww2.exe from the non steam folder results in ww2.exe saying uuuuh whats an xml George? doesnt read it, doesnt modify it, wont even create it if it isnt there

• Registered Users

reguardless of where you install the game, it will always look for the ww2.xml in c drive documents battleground Europe.

I tested the patch with different user names that the past versions would not read the file from. Names with accented characters (Johñ), Cyrillic symbols (ЯФДЙ) even had a user name of ♠John♠ and the game would read from it.

Guess we missed a few possibilities.

• Registered Users
2 hours ago, merlin51 said:

launching ww2.exe from steam folder results in XML being read and correct resolution that is recorded in xml displayed

launching ww2.exe from the non steam folder results in ww2.exe saying uuuuh whats an xml George? doesnt read it, doesnt modify it, wont even create it if it isnt there

No idea, I can't replicate it. I have steam/organic along with "other" installs on this rig. Have tested various kinds of usernames with characters etc within what MS will allow as a username and 1.35.9.6 has read the xml with them all.

@merlin51

Do me a favor and post your path to the organic client.                       Mine is : C:\Program Files (x86)\CRS\Battleground Europe

If what I am reading is correct, steam works fine, but your organic is having the issue. Correct?

37 minutes ago, TANDEL said:

Do me a favor and post your path to the organic client.

I did?

21 hours ago, merlin51 said:

non steam, run c:\games\battleground europe\playgate.exe

And yes, my legacy organic non GMO client lost it's mind
The steam client whether run as steam or run as native via playgate works just fine

18 hours ago, Scking said:

what OS you using @merlin51 ?

Windows 10 Pro, what even public build was last put out.

18 hours ago, OldZeke said:

No idea,

No idea either since it is aware of the CMFL's in the same folder, AND the steam install which is for all practical purposes the same can use the XML perfectly fine.

When i get home again (thursday after 24:00 or so) i will try a fresh reinstall
Only thing i can figure is a bad patch install as nothing registry wise points the game to the XML, aside from playgate the game itself is self contained and portable
copy it to a blank PC without installing and it will create the docs folder, playgate is the only thing that wont work, ww2.exe is simply coded to go there.

Going to try something, but its going to be slow and hideous doing it via VNC on a phone

Edited by merlin51

Ok pain in the butt but managed to do the following

launch 1.28 beta
game res reads from XML fine

Launch 1.30 beta

Launch 1.34.?? release

cant download and try a full fresh install of latest via phone because VNC only configed for main screen, and i last had browser open on 2nd screen so guess where it goes?
and damned if i can figure out how the emulated WIN+R_ARROW on a phone

reproduced issue again, and found cause.

Steam is locking the XML, so the game then can not read it outside of steam.

Easy solution, launch organic 1st, then open steam