Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

1.29 Bug/Problem Report

keinmann

I noticed a couple little things wrong in offline test of 1.29. I'd like to point them out and have them fixed.

1) I spawned a German SMG and went out to the new target range that has the targets on top of a little berms with the yellowish-redish dirt on top. When you shoot the ground in that area with the German SMG it plays the sound effect of a man being shot. That little "OOFF!" "UHHGH!!" etc type sound lol. It's like you're shooting the dirt in the gut. Actually thought it was funny, but it will need a fix. However it didnt do this when I shot it with the rifle, Luger, or other guns. Just German SMG as far as I know (havent tested all guns). I figure this may be a sound effect function in the programming that calls upon a set or a specified effect when say, object X interacts with object Y. Well, when the bullet (X), meets the ground (Y), it calls out for effect (A) from the function rather than effect (B). Just a simple example of what I mean, but I think the German SMG bullet calls on the wrong sound effect from the function, library, or directory (however you did it) when it strikes the dirt in the area near the new shooting range.

2) This may not be a bug, but I'm not quite sure. It may even just be my system, or even an intended feature, but; When I fly a plane, the engine sound is almost undetectable. I can only hear it as I first power up (VERY faintly), then it just sounds like air rushing across the body of the aircraft. Even when I cut the engine, the only way I can tell it's off is that it slows down. I like the idea of it being quieter and not so noisy, but it's SO quiet that I can't even tell its running except from speed and power. Other than that, gun/explosion soundeffects are NIIIIICCCCEEEE!

3) Back to the German SMG, I noticed a problem which I believe has always haunted us. I know for a fact it's like this in 1.28. But the SMG (MP40) front sight is offset to the left. So that the front sight post actually sits off to the lefthand side between the "U" notch. This is a very crude depiction of what I'm saying, but understandable:

Looks like this: l_i__l (current sight picture offset to left)

Should be centered like this: l_i_l (correct sight picture)

Anyone with any degree of shooting experience will tell you it's crucial for the front sight post to be in the center of the sight picture. It's very annoying when I play with my beloved MP40. Makes aiming more of guesswork than precision.

4) Luger: I stood not even 2 feet away from a target with the Luger and fired 3 steady shots at the bullseye with prefect aim. The bullets will not strike the same spot only 2ft away. I find this wildly incorrect, because the Luger was actually one of the most accurate handguns of the time. It's firing about a 3-5" group at only 2ft, when it should be doing that at 30yds. This may be another old problem, but I have never tested it in 1.28. I also really hope that can be fixed to be more realistic.

Well, thats all I can think of atm. Other than that, 1.29 looks great offline! I also noticed the graphic fixes and love them! No longer does the infantryman's thumb go into his own weapon! ;) Also, the sound effects are MUCH better except for the few little kinks and bugs! I love how exploding flak and HE rounds now sound like they should at different distances, rather than just sounding like the little "pop" of a distant rifle. I'm going to test online ASAP! Great job so far CRS! Keep it up and good luck on the fixes and bugs!

on the hand gun issues, I Noticed not one Handgun was accurate at 25 meters away, (or any distance actually) and when i was a MP the old 1911 .45 if in good shape still could hit targets at 25 meters. Since we were trained At max 25 meters for close quarters, (back in my days), Need to make the pistols and hand guns more realistic in range anyways (Better shot groupings) as we were told anything over 75ft (25m) use a rifle

Yupz yupz yupz....I own several handguns and a 25m shot is no problem. I've even got a tiny snub nosed .22 revolver which is over 20yrs old, and I can put my first shot to center mass with it at 25m into the human silouette targets used for police/military training. The little barrel isnt any more than 1'' long, if even that. I don't actually own a Luger, but I've seen them fired and talked to people who own them. They will all be quick to tell you its surprising accurate for a pistol, especially for its time. It was also far faster firing than any Allied issued sidearm of the war. It was also what you call a "natural pointer", which simply means you can almost look at your target, shut your eyes, draw the gun and point it perfectly at something in front of you. It just feels like it's spot on, and by all means it is. This was because of the perfect angling of the pistol grip, which I think was something never done on pistols until the Luger came about (which I believed was in the early early 1900s, even before WWI). The angled grip also reduced recoil, and made the gun very controlable during rapid fire. Recoil is in real life, much less than you see on the game. A 9mm in general has very little recoil.

Its only real short coming was that it had the tendency to suffer performance issues due to dirt and moisture. It was made like a Swiss watch, with VERY tight tolerances, and parts were even custom fitted to each gun by some of the best gunsmiths available, if not the best of the time, as far as pistols were concerned. However, the issues of dirt, grit, and moisture were quickly solved by issuing a pouch style holster that totally covered the gun and protected it from the elements, rather than modifying or replacing it. The Luger dominated the realm of side arms for practically the entire war until it was replaced by a more up to date gun, the Walther P38. The P38 was the first locked-breech pistol to use a double-action trigger and hammer assembly. I think it would be awesome to see the Walther P38 brought into the late tiers. I dont see how it could cause any harm to the balance of the game. It would just take up a little time to model, but would be an awesome goody! :D

Lol, here I go rambling again! Let me just stop before I write an essay on German Wehrmacht sidearms!

The settings tab in 1.29.0.13 won't save my selection for sound card. I have an onboard card, an outboard sound card (realtek), and a line 6 guitarport. I keep selecting the guitarport, but when I bring up the settings again, the sound card selected is always the realtek. The problem is not present in the current live version of the game (1.28.7.255), just the beta.

1) Added to Terrain Focus

2) Try increasing number of sounds and report back. Please create new thread for this and technically each bug needs a thread.

3) Will bug this

4) We adjusted these all at some point to have less accuracy as they were shooting like lasers, will review.

I noticed the ballistic coefficients were very nice. Seemed much better than 1.28. Gophur, my suggestion to you in doing this would be to check out some technical data on the shot grouping of the Luger at the ranges of 10, 20, 30, 40, and 50m. Try to replicate that as closely as you can, and you will have tons of very happy players! Myself included!!! ;) Not a bad idea for all guns. I'm sure you guys have done some real world research, but I wouldnt imagine it too hard to go for the best possible ballistics/accuracy modeling. Good luck to you all working out the kinks! Great job so far!

Oh, and no comment on the MP40's front sight post being offset to the left? I've always wondered about that and been very annoyed with it. It's just one of those "that's not freaking right!" type of things. It's like an eyesore! ;) lolz! Any likelyhood that will be addressed?