Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

Widescreen 1.29 changes

slr

Since 1.29 I'm having real problems seeing anything that's not pretty close in sufficient detail. Everything seems to be artificially zoomed way out. For example, ei at 300 metres are about the height that they were at 500 metres before (i.e. tiny). The bino view is very much smaller too. It's making it hard work, and not very satisfying to play at all. It's a cliche that you can die from things you can't see in this game, but my k/d dropped to 0.3 after the patch, which is taking it too far. I run at 2560x1600 if it makes any difference.

Maybe you could try a different resolution in game, see if that helps balance out your problem. I'll keep an eye out for other possible fixes on my information grapevine and I'll post back here if I run across anything.

yeah slr it resets it. I had the same problem. I just got this monitor a little over a month ago and had to set it to either the 3rd or 4th size and looks amazing. wit the patch it did it again and i just reset it and looks great again, instead of far out and dull faded looking

What you observe naturally results out of the wide screen support.

Before that your field of view was (incorrectly) too narrow, and you thus could see distant object closer than players with 4:3 screens.

16/10 Monitor resolution

Sorry if this as already been reported...I looked and didn't find the right post..

I have a 19" widescreen TFT with a natural resolution of 1440 x 900. When I set it to this for the game, all circles look like eggs :) so I have to run at 1152 x 864 which effects the quality of the graphics.

Here are some pictures of what it looks like in 1440 x 900

1440900eu5.jpg

Here the same pic as above, just in BIG: http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/9641/1440900ix5.jpg So you can see it better.

I would be happy for any feedback or if any others have the same issue.

Thanks!

16/10 Monitor resolution

Sorry if this as already been reported...I looked and didn't find the right post..

I have a 19" widescreen TFT with a natural resolution of 1440 x 900. When I set it to this for the game, all circles look like eggs :) so I have to run at 1152 x 864 which effects the quality of the graphics.

Here are some pictures of what it looks like in 1440 x 900

1440900eu5.jpg

Here the same pic as above, just in BIG: http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/9641/1440900ix5.jpg So you can see it better.

I would be happy for any feedback or if any others have the same issue.

Thanks!

I see a perfect circle with a diameter of 300 pixels. :-)

What you observe naturally results out of the wide screen support.

Before that your field of view was (incorrectly) too narrow, and you thus could see distant object closer than players with 4:3 screens.

It may have been incorrect but it was better than what we have now. The new widescreen makes me motion sick. There is something not right with it. I can't see crap anymore and its like looking through a fish eye lens. Widescreen worked great until this patch. I am really upset at the change and wondering if it is still worth it.

It definitely doesn't seem right. The spawn buildings seem much bigger inside for example. According to my calculations, in order to change from a system where the width is the same as a 4:3 rendition to one where the height is the same requires a 16.7% decrease in zoom, i.e. everything becomes 16.7% smaller. This looks more like 40%.

You should try it at 3840 x 1024.

No the problem is that you got used to broken widescreen before which had an artificial zoom because the fov was locked horizontally thus you were loosing a band at the top and bottom of your screen.

You are now seeing extra on the sides instead and that extra is at the farther edges of the fov and thus has more distortion.

It is now correct.

Look, I understand that your perception of the true wide screen support is in stark contrast to what you experienced until 1.29, but I can assure you that the math behind it is right.

Until 1.29, a wide screen ratio caused a much more narrow field of view than 4:3 ratios, which gave a very significant unfair advantage for long range shooting and a disadvantage in scene awareness.

With 1.29 and the projection math done right, your FOV is higher than with a 4:3 ratio, but the actual focal depth at the overlapping screen area is the same.

In other words:

The benefit of wide screen users compared to the ones with 4:3 screens is now an increased horizontal FOV. Before that you had a lower vertical FOV and an identical horizontal FOV.

Before 1.29, pixels on a wide screen monitor were much larger than those on a 4:3 screen, which is not right.

With 1.29, pixel sizes are the same (assuming that the physical pixel size is identical).

Look, I understand that your perception of the true wide screen support is in stark contrast to what you experienced until 1.29, but I can assure you that the math behind it is right.

Until 1.29, a wide screen ratio caused a much more narrow field of view than 4:3 ratios, which gave a very significant unfair advantage for long range shooting and a disadvantage in scene awareness.

With 1.29 and the projection math done right, your FOV is higher than with a 4:3 ratio, but the actual focal depth at the overlapping screen area is the same.

In other words:

The benefit of wide screen users compared to the ones with 4:3 screens is now an increased horizontal FOV. Before that you had a lower vertical FOV and an identical horizontal FOV.

Before 1.29, pixels on a wide screen monitor were much larger than those on a 4:3 screen, which is not right.

With 1.29, pixel sizes are the same (assuming that the physical pixel size is identical).

There is something else wrong with it. When I look forward using a triplehead, the inside edges of the outer two screens shows object appearing closer than the center screen. When i rotate my view around it created a fish lens effect which is very disorienting.

I appreciate what you are saying but on my monitor at 2560x1600, it's too small to be usable. Maybe the pixels per inch is high or something but for example a vehicle spawn at an fb at 200 metres away is now only about 2mm high on the screen. ei in a bush is invisible over 50 metres away without binos. At 300 metres tanks are so small they are just a tiny coloured unidentifiable blob. This is the only monitor I have, and if it turns out it won't work with the game anymore, I'm not going to be able to continue to play which would be hugely disappointing.

I appreciate what you are saying but on my monitor at 2560x1600' date=' it's too small to be usable. Maybe the pixels per inch is high or something but for example a vehicle spawn at an fb at 200 metres away is now only about 2mm high on the screen. ei in a bush is invisible over 50 metres away without binos. At 300 metres tanks are so small they are just a tiny coloured unidentifiable blob. This is the only monitor I have, and if it turns out it won't work with the game anymore, I'm not going to be able to continue to play which would be hugely disappointing.[/quote']

QFT

I am nearly placing my eyeball against the screen to see, combined with the weird effects with a triplehead its nauseating.

There is something else wrong with it. When I look forward using a triplehead' date=' the inside edges of the outer two screens shows object appearing closer than the center screen. When i rotate my view around it created a fish lens effect which is very disorienting.[/quote']This is the nature of perspective projection and I can't change the math of the universe.

The only way to reduce this is to reduce the max horizontal FOV, but then you would have an unfair advantage over players with a 4:3 screen with aiming.

I appreciate what you are saying but on my monitor at 2560x1600' date=' it's too small to be usable. Maybe the pixels per inch is high or something but for example a vehicle spawn at an fb at 200 metres away is now only about 2mm high on the screen. ei in a bush is invisible over 50 metres away without binos. At 300 metres tanks are so small they are just a tiny coloured unidentifiable blob. This is the only monitor I have, and if it turns out it won't work with the game anymore, I'm not going to be able to continue to play which would be hugely disappointing.[/quote']You have the same "level of zoom" as other players now.

Before that you had an unfair advantage when aiming and firing guns.

Now you have the benefit of a wider field of view instead.

It is done the right way now.

End of discussion!

This is the nature of perspective projection and I can't change the math of the universe.

The only way to reduce this is to reduce the max horizontal FOV, but then you would have an unfair advantage over players with a 4:3 screen with aiming.

That exists anyway! If you have a physically larger screen the image will be larger and will be easier to aim. So what am I supposed to do, go spend $1500 on a large screen TV to play the game?

ie: before v1.29 you were employing (because of our widescreen hack until Jeager fixed the math) ... you were employing an artificially enhanced "zoom" view in widescreen mode. That's why you liked it better, you were getting a zoom view the non widescreen people didn't have, and thus your objects WERE bigger. We have to have everyone on the same zoom level for fairness, not to mention the restored screen real estate that was cropped out previously (top and bottom of frame) ... so if you have to have the "old view back" well we cannot offer that.

Since this is not a bug the thread is closed.