Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

Opel 'Ghost' engine noise

bombguy

Last night we were running around in opels capping some towns. While in the ab bunker waiting for the radio, Katonka brought the truck up and parked outside the ab. The engine noise from the opel did not stop. It continued to race at full speed even though the engine was turned off. After the cap, we got back into the truck and when Katonka started the engine, the racing engine sound continued so now we had 2 engine sounds coming through, 1 that was reflecting the drive (fast,slow, etc) and 1 that was racing full speed. Shutting down didn't stop this 'ghost' engine. It was like a fire bug only with the engine. Wish I could give more details.

Bombguy,

This bug also exists for those of us that like to turn our engine off and "coast" on the way to FB busts. If you are riding in the opel or being pulled, the engine sound goes off immediately, but if you are driving the opel, the engine takes literally more than a minute to cycle off.

When I used to go sapping a lot, I noticed that many panzers (espeically the 3 series) always seemed to get this. The poor guy would move, turn his engine off, but I could still hear it. Then, when he wanted to move again, he would start it back up and have two engine sounds going.

I don't really go sapping now, so not sure if it still exists or not... ;)

Old bug that still exists for all engines and seems to be linked to packet loss, i.e. the packet that says the engine is being turned off isn't received. Trucks seem to be more susceptable though I have run into a tank or two that was affected. Only cure seems to be for you or the offending party to respawn.

Old bug that still exists for all engines and seems to be linked to packet loss' date=' i.e. the packet that says the engine is being turned off isn't received. Trucks seem to be more susceptable though I have run into a tank or two that was affected. Only cure seems to be for you or the offending party to respawn.[/quote']

I don't think as far as the opel is concerned anyway, that this has anything to do with packet loss. This is 100% reproduceable in an opel. Just drive one and shut down your engine and coast...passengers will hear your engine noise shut off immediately while the driver hears it for quite some time thereafter.

I don't think as far as the opel is concerned anyway' date=' that this has anything to do with packet loss. This is 100% reproduceable in an opel. Just drive one and shut down your engine and coast...passengers will hear your engine noise shut off immediately while the driver hears it for quite some time thereafter.[/quote']

That is expected behaviour for all units and not related to the original post.

You know how on the map you can right-click an icon and send a PM?

We should be able to right click and send a "status update request" that would force that client to send out another packet with his engine status, weapon firing status, etc.

Yesterday a friendly player was driving a 232 and his MG was firing non-stop. I could see who he was, and if I had been able to immediately send that request, problem instantly solved. I had to PM him several times before he saw it.

Sometimes a firebug is only one person not getting your packet(s), sometimes no one gets it/them.

This means sometimes only one person is irritated, sometimes a lot, and worst of all, sometimes the enemy can hear you sitting in a concealed spot shooting away!

So how about it, CRS, how about a right-click "Status Update Request":

.SUR bombguy

I bet Oliver could do it during his elevenses tea-and-biscuit-break!

Thanks!