Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

Are the mortars broken?

l0stsoul

I was trying to fix my graphical problem today (still broken) by practicing offline. After having no results, I decided to try using a mortar. This is my first time back in four years, so I figured I had better figure out how to use the thing. I fired a round and watched it impact about 10 seconds later. Pretty cool. Wasn't sure how to adjust distance so I despawned, looked up the keymapper, and realize it was the pg up/pg down button (2+2=that is also how you adjust rifle sights).

Anyways, I decide to respond and I play with it again. I get down to three rounds then get the idea of setting it to 50 meters to test its lethality. I lob up the final three rounds and run to the impact area. First one hits a little bit off, shakes the screen, not much damage. I keep running and get right under where I believe the rounds are landing. Two more rounds hit, nothing happens other than the screen shaking.

Now, I know that you can kill yourself with them because someone said it on the chat yesterday ("I wonder who the n00b is that laid on my mortar and got me killed?"). So I figured a)maybe you cannot kill yourself anymore on practice offline or b)maybe I miscalculated the impact zone. Thus I spawned again, lobbed up four consecutive rounds. First round lands a ways in front of me and shakes the screen. By the second I am under impact zone and again, the screen shakes. Third lands and finally kills me. This to me seems very innaccurrate and buggy. A mortar isn't much use if it can't kill, can't knock out, and can't even cause some supression (say full loss of ATP?).

Oh, for the record, another reason I did this test other than boredom was because someone said they threw a grenade directly on an EI and it didn't kill him. Makes me wonder if the rifle grenades I was lobbing into an enemy base is useless too. I was pretty sure two of them fell directly on AT/AA guns.

I think you may have been lucky. I just went on and fired 10 straight up and walked over to them. They were landing all around and it did seem that maybe I wasn;t getting much more than concussive damage. But then I got flat out xxx killed.

They are really small mortars to be honest. I'll check and see if any changes have been made but I think they are working as intended at first glance.