Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

1.30.0.16 crashes when mission leader changes

tettie

Two identical crashes to desktop today: flying F1 out of gilze, then the mission leader changes. The moment the warning comes in (left the warning messages on) game freezes and I CTD.

Mwhit says they tried to reproduce but could not. I also did some take leads and did not see anyone go offline that was on the mission.

Will leave open for confirmations.

Some odd behavior observed by more people (screen freezes when mission leader changes), but not replicable at will. Yet.

Can confirm that I still have it.

Tried testing it with Oldzeke, mwhitman and elegance. Appears it is reproducable most likely under these conditions:

1) alerts are on

2) first time ML changes after starting the game

3) ML changes to someone else, not me

I suspect is is tied to the alerts. After the first alert of the ML change it all goes well. I don't know if other alerts produce this problem as well.

I get a ctd 75% of the time, the other 25% my screen freezes for 4-6 seconds. Elegance had the screen freeze as well, but not the CTD. HE is also using a ATI card, an 4830 or something.

• Registered Users

We did more testing but Tettie seams to be the only on that CTD's.

A couple of others did report a slight screen freeze when ML changed.

Most of us get no freeze or CTD, no matter wether we had alerts on or off.

Not realy sure what to call on this.

I found a way to replicate this, but only for my 2 accounts. When I tried it with sotnass and mwhitman, we couldn't reproduce it. I hate to say it but ATI may play crucial role in this again (sotnass and mwhitman both use nvidias and tettie, who gets the freeze uses ATI as well). Anyway:

On first login with both accounts my second account that has rank recruit (this seems to be important, although I didnt try it yet with both accounts set to higher rank) makes a mission and my first account joins it. After 8 minutes (standard wait time) I do .takelead with my high rank account whilst looking in game at the other account (again this seems to be important, but I haven't tried it when looking somewhere else). After this the game froze for 17 seconds for the account doing the .takelead (dont know what was happening to the other account as I didnt alt tab to it). I tried this 3 times and 3 times the game froze. After this no matter how many .takelead I do, the game doesnt freeze anymore.

Windows XP Pro sp2

Radeon 4830

X2 4200@2.7GHz

X-fi Xtreme Gamer

2GB Ram

Something wonky with ATI and BE, that's for sure.

I'll try to grab a NVdia card somewhere and retest this.

Ok I'm going to wait on a ticket until we have somehting more solid but I will give the team a heads up now.

tried it twice today with oidin as mission leader. First time I didnt freeze at all, second time i froze for max 1 second. Will test further when .setrank and .makeleader work again.

They are working (chat commands). I went through this today and could not find any issues. Please let me know.

• 2 weeks later...

Need someone on the Beta server with me to test this. For me it's a minor issue because I never use the alerts anyway, with alerts off I didn't CTD.

You can close it if you like, I'll keep an eye on it.

I will help you test it tettie. But it will have to be today no sooner then 2000 GMT. Was trying to test it myself, but the crickets on the beta server werent very helpfull:D.

I will help you test it tettie. But it will have to be today no sooner then 2000 GMT. Was trying to test it myself' date=' but the crickets on the beta server werent very helpfull:D.[/quote']

I can be around on the beta server at around 20:00 GMT is needed.

• Registered Users

I'll try to get on before then.

If I don't I'll be on for several hours later and try to test it then.

Did some quick testing on this with Elegance and noticed that on the 2-man mission we did, after he quit the game i was not given mission leader and Elegance was still listed as mission leader.

EDIT:: I'll add that we did multiple leader swaps from my mission with targets marked and all was well.

Just tried it with gtanner. Couldnt reproduce the long 10+ sec freeze, but froze for approx 2 seconds. That was when I made a mission (first mission after logging into game) and gave lead to gtanner. The other way around I didnt freeze at all (when he made mission and gave me the lead). But that wasnt his first mission after logging.

Also .setrank and .all dont work in 1.30.0.20.

Checked .22 for this. Again got the 2 second freeze on my first mission after logging into game.

Not seeing a crash now, anyone else ?

.22 build

PS: there are a few dependancies. If no one has their "accept mission leader flag" set to yes, then the ML leaving will not reassign it. Nothing we can do about that, we don't want everyone to lose their mission if this happens. If someone wants to take it then .takelead works.

Additionally, there is a timeout that needs to exist. If you leave the mission while also being the ML, and respawn on the mission quickly, you will still be ML if you haven't given it away and no one has taken it. This will not happen if you wait awhile before leaving the mission. Maybe we can shorten this timer. Don't know yet.

You can actually create a second mission and be ML of both if you do it before the timer expires and no one else has taken the ML of the previous mission. It's not a game breaker so we'll see what we can do with this. When we create the persistant mission implementation a little ways from now, this will all work better and be less "confusing".

• 3 weeks later...

Have a guess what I just had on my first mission leader change in live 1.30. The long freeze! The difference was that this time it really looked like graphic card related thing (ATI here). I got the "No signal message" from the monitor briefly before the picture came back. No message from VPU recover though. Card is heavily overclocked at the moment, will return it to stock and retry this.

Good call elegance. Could be something in the way we call that message to the display.