Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

Beddy wheel damage testing

paybak

Harpo and I tested tire and wheel damage and found some bugs. We couldn't find any problems with the Opel but on the Beddy there is an area where the tire sustains no damage.

Screen shots below. Even the LMG did no damage.

beddy3.png

beddy4lmg.png

Harpo and I found quite a bit of undamageable ares on the Laffy wheels. From headon no damage can occur to the tread on the front wheels left or right.

laffy4front.png

Also the tread between the wheels sustains no damage. Sidewall and metal wheel does sustain damage.

laffy2.png

I hope the waffly kills on wheels is a little more difficult now than before

In 1.29 you can just look at it and the wheels will fall off rendering it useless

I hope the waffly kills on wheels is a little more difficult now than before

In 1.29 you can just look at it and the wheels will fall off rendering it useless

Yeah, it is pretty bad. I was in a 232 the other day and shot off the wheels of a laffy with just a very small burst of MG fire (maybe 3-4 shots, I think?). Maybe the wheel blown-off state is also supposed to represent a deflated tire? Don't know, but it seemed awfully easy to blow them off.

The damage model the code sees and the visual model you see are not always 100% identical, visually. It's very difficult to get them to look precisely identical because that means using twice as many triangles (polygons) as it would to abstract the damge model which is how we keep FPS where it isn't always in single digits.

So as long as the wheel can be damaged/destroyed by general fire at it overall that's an acceptable result, there may indeed be a small area somewhere that the two models don't overlap perfectly but that's not a huge issue. In the game at range (rather than point blank at a specific spot) you're going to be doing the damage that we need the damage model to do.

I don't think this is a bug, just an up close detail anomaly that's always been there, and we can't really change. The same would apply to a lot of other things not just the wheels/tyres of the vehicles, you just never noticed before because you weren't concentrating on looking at them that closely before.

I think we're good on this point. Thanks for the report.