Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

MSP bug - Text in chat, 1.29.3 live

dewars

OK, you're driving a truck to set an MS, now at some point, usually 3k away from target or so, the message pops up "Target now in range...", then "Target is no longer in range..." a second or two later.

Why does this happen? Just curious.

One of these days I'll stop and go back and see if I can set up an MS.

Ya, I know it's sort of a truck related question, but come on.. Motor Pool?

There is a zone of valid deployment for MSP's. Get too close, or too far away, from your objective, and you can't deploy. The message is there to help you know where this zone begins and ends.

There is a zone of valid deployment for MSP's. Get too close' date=' or too far away, from your objective, and you can't deploy. The message is there to help you know where this zone begins and ends.[/quote']

No he is talking about a possible bug where you recieve the message even though you are not within the range where it should be activated. I've had it happen many times too, I would imagine non of us has mentioned it because at the end of the day, it isn't a big deal.

Thats not what he means doc. This message pops up way before the zone around the target where you can set up a msp. You get "target now in range for msp" and straight after that "target no longer in range for msp". Then you drive for a while until you get to the real zone where you can set up msp (and you get the proper message there).

I always thought that its the fb area triggering the messages. For example if you drive from andenne to huy (mission target huy), you get it around the area where the msp zone for andenne huy fb (friendly) should theoretically begin. Or it could be the axis fb (which is not up) triggering the message? (though the message pops up closer to huy then to andenne).

Thats not what he means doc. This message pops up way before the zone around the target where you can set up a msp. You get "target now in range for msp" and straight after that "target no longer in range for msp". Then you drive for a while until you get to the real zone where you can set up msp (and you get the proper message there).

i get that message too, every time...

mfg Maro

I've noticed this also, well before you enter the valid deployment range. It cycles quickly from valid to invalid as if to say "Psych!" then when you get into actual valid range it operates normally.

Doesn't seem to affect anything.

Yes, what elegance said. I was bored, so I figured I'd finally ask around. It pops up very quicky around 2.5 - 3k from target, then again once you're in range.

I'm going to have to stop and try to set up an MS at the mystery spot. I suspect it opens a secret spawn list containing dogs, bazookas, and flamethrowers.

to test what there saying doc drive a truck to any undefended fb...youll see the message pop up then go away and then come back....its been this way forever...if your a vet and use to it its no biggie ..but i can see where a new player would be confused

DOC apparently saw a few keywords in the OP, but didn't read all the other ones.

The same thing happens when you're on the edge of the deploy range.

I've seen this a few times, it's a weird little bug.

Yes it happens. You can sure tell who the Opel drivers are in this thread.

Here's my programmer's opinion: Most likely its when you switch tiles, it briefly computes your distance without the new tile making it think (briefly, before it gets the update on your new position on the tile) that you're within range.

Or, alternatively, or your old location on the last tile is applied to the new tile briefly, again making it think you're within range.

Yes it happens. You can sure tell who the Opel drivers are in this thread.

Whats to say it doesn't affect Beddys or Laffys?

Damnit, Doc, don't tell me you're not even aware of this particular bug?

Same thing happens when you get within range (what is it, 1km?). And then when you despawn as UMS, you get another false message.

Whats to say it doesn't affect Beddys or Laffys?

Seen this happen just about every time that I've driven a beddy or laffy to an fb. It's not something I give much thought to as it's been happening for so long now.

Here's my programmer's opinion: Most likely its when you switch tiles, it briefly computes your distance without the new tile making it think (briefly, before it gets the update on your new position on the tile) that you're within range.

Or, alternatively, or your old location on the last tile is applied to the new tile briefly, again making it think you're within range.

That makes sense, I'll have to notice to see if it is near the edge of a tile.

Surprised DOC doesn't know this bug. Guess we know how often DOC does msp. :D

(...) don't tell me you're not even aware of this particular bug?

Lesson to be learned: do not report bugs in Barracks...even if you're sure that the Rats know all about them, even if you think they've existed since 2001, even if it's more "fun" here, no matter what.

The Rats' development issues list is long enough that no human can stay on top of it in its entirety just in his head. Not even an Australian.

Bug discussions belong in the Bug Reports Forum!

Noticed it long ago too, never actually tried to stop and set up msp though .. i think thats not even possible... when you drive back i think you dont get the message anymore.

Lesson to be learned: do not report bugs in Barracks...even if you're sure that the Rats know all about them, even if you think they've existed since 2001, even if it's more "fun" here, no matter what.

The Rats' development issues list is long enough that no human can stay on top of it in its entirety just in his head. Not even an Australian.

Bug discussions belong in the Bug Reports Forum!

buzz kill