Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

Black screen and crashes

z1232

Everytime i try to start the game, i get a black screen and the game crashes. Doesn't even attempt to load?

I have two systems.

The "Main" system is a Dell XPS 710 with Intel quad core CPU and it runs the game fine with improved frame rates, but I had a couple of CTHLs followed by CTDs on the way out.

My second system is an older AMD XP3000+ CPU with 7800 GTS card which is a good system for my towing account, but alas, the game will not run.

It seems I get the same condition as the OP:

I can be authenticated and logged in.

I can see the game is "green"

I attempt to start the game and I get the small black Dialog box,

Then I get a black screen

And the next thing ya know, I am back to the desktop.

I rebooted the system a number of times

I ran chkdsk

I haven't tried anything exotic as it was running the game fine before the patch.

Cheers,

Joe

If you have patched 1.29 to 1.30 there can be a problem with font corruption. Download the full installer and try again.

I had the same problem, went back, downloaded the full installer, uninstalled and removed all older traces of the game, followed the suggested reg-edits(not sure how to link, but look for my other post), reinstalled the 'beautiful virgin 1.30' ;) and was just fine after that!

Good Luck!

Same problem here.

This is my log, after I tried log three times:

Exited Program: file: ..\..\src\ui\uiMain.cpp, line: 248, App Version: 1, 30, 0, 255

Message string: default font not found!

Date and time: 5/28/2009 17:39:33

File version: 1, 30, 0, 255

Date and time: 5/28/2009 17:39:33

WWIIOL aborted via improper means

Exited Program: file: ..\..\src\ui\uiMain.cpp, line: 248, App Version: 1, 30, 0, 255

Date and time: 5/28/2009 17:40:48

Date and time: 5/28/2009 17:40:48

Date and time: 5/28/2009 17:49:33

Date and time: 5/28/2009 17:49:33

If you have patched 1.29 to 1.30 there can be a problem with font corruption. Download the full installer and try again.

Jesus... Why don't they just tell up front to download the full installer instead of making us sit and wait for the non-working patch to download?

Same problem here.

This means the game cannot find the archive files (first thing that gets loaded is the font). Full installer should do it correctly.

For new major releases I always use a full installer, I don't trust the diff updater for anything big.

I did the full installer, and it didn't work. Black screen then CTD. Screw this.

I did the full installer' date=' and it didn't work. Black screen then CTD. Screw this.[/quote']

Uninstall the game, delete the Program Files\Battleground Europe folder and reinstall.

solved, at least my crash

Check C:\Program Files\CRS\Battleground Europe, u will see 5 tmp file.installer has an error swapping temp files with old files.if you rename 5 tmp files like this

*****.TMP size 229.126 must be playarc.w2t

*****.TMP size 211.175 must be playarc.w2v

*****.TMP size 63.469 must be playarc.w2a

*****.TMP size 49.988 must be playarc.w2s

*****.TMP size 32.514 must be playarc.w2d

good luck

still not working

i can log offline but when i try live it stops at inizializing vehicle system and then it crashes

Check C:\Program Files\CRS\Battleground Europe, u will see 5 tmp file.installer has a error swapping temp files with old files.if you renames 5 tmp files like this

good luck

I've got 12 temp files, and none of them match up in size with the sizes you give above.

Uninstall the game' date=' [b']delete the Program Files\Battleground Europe folder and reinstall.

Nope. Not gonna delete everything. But thanks anyway.

Nor am I going to format my frigging HD. Enough with the slash and burn style bug fixes....

Nope. Not gonna delete everything. But thanks anyway.

Nor am I going to format my frigging HD. Enough with the slash and burn style bug fixes....

Settings, Screen shots and Key Mappings are NOT stored in that folder, it is safe to delete.

is anyone able to whack up some small instructions on what to do that just say install this, uninstall that, delete this reinstall the other.

fraid I am like the tayvl type of player, if it don't work i'll just log off and s*d it, have never been one to mess about i'm afraid.

have we a link to a main install then and do i just do the old add-remove programs to remove?

is anyone able to whack up some small instructions on what to do that just say install this, uninstall that, delete this reinstall the other.

fraid I am like the tayvl type of player, if it don't work i'll just log off and s*d it, have never been one to mess about i'm afraid.

have we a link to a main install then and do i just do the old add-remove programs to remove?

You need to go into the Control Panel to Add Or Remove Programs (or Programs and Features in Vista) and remove everything CRS related. Then goto My Computer and goto C:\Program Files\CRS and delete everything in that folder before reinstalling the game.

Settings' date=' Screen shots and Key Mappings are NOT stored in that folder, it is safe to delete.[/quote']

NM, found a way to convert the temp files. I'm up.

Top story, front page of our website, has precisely what to do and if you follow it like a robot without doing anything different ... will almost certainly work for you. There will be a tiny number of people who this doesn't fix because there is always a small number of people with issues we cannot identify, that are not normal for most others.

ta very much i'll try it at weekend, at the moment am having bad internet connection problems so am abit wary on trying it at the moment incase it is internet connection than update is stopping me, but it's worth a shot on weekend.

sorry if my initial post sounded like a 'don't want to sort out it shoudl just work' type, wasn't meant like that just i am the type that rather than searching out for things just gives up (is many like me) so the easier the better.

i'll go through it weekend, fingers crossed (although am thinking maybe some of these solutions short term need on the login page as it keeps asking to log in each time as aint got in game, least people then know where to look)

still not working

i can log offline but when i try live it stops at inizializing vehicle system and then it crashes

I am getting this problem as well. Tried uninstalling everything and re-installing etc but nothing.

I did the full installer' date=' and it didn't work. Black screen then CTD. Screw this.[/quote']

I think you are having the Athalon XP related issue. Are you running this chip? If so please see my sticky above.

still not working

See AMD Athalon XP sticky above.

I think you are having the Athalon XP related issue. Are you running this chip? If so please see my sticky above.

Not SSE2 issue, bad wwiiol12931300.exe issue. He needs to uninstall the game, delete his Program Files\CRS\Battleground Europe folder and reinstall.

Check C:\Program Files\CRS\Battleground Europe, u will see 5 tmp file.installer has an error swapping temp files with old files.if you rename 5 tmp files like this

good luck

This worked great for me, except I also had a *****.TMP size 176.174 must be renamed to playarc.w2m ...

Afterwards it worked for me !