Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

Fix the damn cornflakes bug CRS

Fallsjgr

christ I got bomb particles floating into the air which grew till it ran me out of memory.

How old is this bug? How many years?

--Fallsjager

I thought it had to do with your video card overheating and not so much of a bug with the game

someone say exactly what they are please.

i only get them in certain places it seems. if i get them and go elsewhere theyre gone. say another town. they are bothersome thats for sure and block the views.

someone say exactly what they are please.

i only get them in certain places it seems. if i get them and go elsewhere theyre gone. say another town. they are bothersome thats for sure and block the views.

They are basically a global sized explosion using the sprite/animation/whatever that was used for explosions when the game came out. Basically all those giant flakes are what in that animation would have been the little pieces of dirt falling back to earth.

As to why it happens, I have no idea. I think a rat actually explained the cause it once on the forums, but I don't recall what it was.

I only get them maybe once or twice every 6 months or so at this point.

I thought it had to do with your video card overheating and not so much of a bug with the game

Nothing to do with it. It's an old explosion artifact that occurs when a plane bombs something. I got it last night right after a blen bombed a few hundred meters away. You'll get it with all bombing planes I believe. CRS needs to go in and replace the bomb particle sprites or something just get rid of this mess.

-Fallsjager

Nothing to do with it. It's an old explosion artifact that occurs when a plane bombs something. I got it last night right after a blen bombed a few hundred meters away. You'll get it with all bombing planes I believe. CRS needs to go in and replace the bomb particle sprites or something just get rid of this mess.

-Fallsjager

It's annoying as hell when it happens. I must say I haven't seen it for a while. How often do you get this and can you reproduce it?

I suffer more from a red haze after explosions. A bit like the red concussion screen, but less obvious. It takes a while to clear and it shows only in a certain direction. Respawning always fixes it, I believe the cornflake bug is persistent untill restarting the game.

-Fallsjager

Odd, because it never happened to me when something was bombed or exploded. I used to get that glitch quite often. I even made a habit of writing down and taking FRAPS video's when it happened to me. In my case, there was no pattern. It happened to me in all kinds of situations. Now, if we could replicate the snowflakes, we could solve the problem.

This has not happened to me in over 6 months now. The only thing in my system that changed is I bought a new video card and a power supply.

the poster forgot to add the red fog and yellow fog haze that accompanys it almost everytime. the red happens more. think sand storm dust.

What's this thread having to do with "Barracks"

Mod - you should move it to Windows Support where it can get the attention it deserves.

I'm still looking for the raisins to go with the flakes......

I believe there was a post while back where I think Doc explained it. I wish they could take all the old posts about game issues like these with the rats explaining them and sticky them. Would be nice to reference them from time to time. I had to change my MB and I also upgraded my OS to a 64 bit. And now I have white map. I mean the whole map is white and zooming in or out doesnt help. Some times if I leave the map open for several minutes the white starts to replace it's self with the map.

I just started playing again after almost 2 years. I got them the other night for the first time ever and I've logged a lot of hours in the past 7 or so years.

Mod - you should move it to Windows Support where it can get the attention it deserves.

The Bug Reports forum is more appropriate, I think.

It's been a while, but I recall one of the Rats saying that they were unable to reproduce this bug, and until they reproduce it, they won't be able to find the cause. If anyone can figure out how to get cornflakes consistently, it would help immensely in finding and fixing the bug.

I have this bug every now and then but I have not seen the birth of the bug until recently. It was pretty cool to see the bug start actually as it looked like some kind if big bang universe birth in the sky. I have no video if it but this is how it goes:

When the bug starts (I have no clue what triggers it) somewhere in the 3D world a very tiny "star" appears, it's just a pixel big at the start. This is usually in the sky but the "origin" point can be any altitude. Out from this single point the "cornflakes" grow. It's made off several "dirt" textures that rotate out around the origin point and get streached out and get bigger and bigger. It looks like "big bang" in slowmotion, or almost like a firework exploding in the sky. The bug is local in the came world and rotate around a fixed coordinate. Each "cornflake" have their own location in 3D space and objects can be in front of them or behind them. There can one or many bugs going on at the same time at different locations. Respawning does not help as the bugs are persistent, you need to restart game. You can get the bug in one town, go to another town and play and be fine there and then get back to the first town and the cornflakes bug is still there.

This bug is OLD. I think it's been around for at least 4+ years.

Edited by lure

FYI

I use to get them a LOT!

Got a new powersupply and better cooling on the vid card and well, better case ventilation. No more cornflakes.

It's a random error and can't so far be reproduced on cue (necessary to fix it). its a particle fountain (think explosions, puffs of smoke from a tank, etc) that for whatever reason goes on and on and on at a very slow timer, and thus grows indefinitely. I think it will eventually complete the animation and end but it might be hours. If you spawn out and spawn back into the same location its usually still there.

ive noticed that i only get this bug in areas where there are high populations on both sides (huge battles) and it usually happens after ive died and respawned several times in a row (lemming effect) and usually under high concentrations of enemy bombers or mortars. it happens to me no matter what side i am playing, so its definately not limited to any certain equipment.

i may start frapsing my entire play times to see if i can get it to duplicate.

ive noticed that i only get this bug in areas where there are high populations on both sides (huge battles) and it usually happens after ive died and respawned several times in a row (lemming effect) and usually under high concentrations of enemy bombers or mortars. it happens to me no matter what side i am playing, so its definately not limited to any certain equipment.

i may start frapsing my entire play times to see if i can get it to duplicate.

What he said ^^^^

I changed a vid card setting when they started again on me and now they havent happened since.

had it happen again this morning. of course i wasnt frapsing at the time.

but again i was killed, respawned, killed, respawned, bombed, respawned = cornflakes. was actually taking the time to admire them looking straight up and got killed again lol.. was in a big battle again for sedan. one other thing i seemed to have noticed is that when i respawn, i get a 2-3 second lag before my FPS catches up and i can actually move. its usually after that happens a few times that i also get the cornflakes. ill keep trying to fraps and capture it.

Odd, because it never happened to me when something was bombed or exploded. I used to get that glitch quite often. I even made a habit of writing down and taking FRAPS video's when it happened to me. In my case, there was no pattern. It happened to me in all kinds of situations. Now, if we could replicate the snowflakes, we could solve the problem.

This has not happened to me in over 6 months now. The only thing in my system that changed is I bought a new video card and a power supply.

TOPD - it happens to me about once every 2 weeks. I have a 2gig video card, with 12gb of ram, 64 bit OS, and 4.3 gig processor. I have a liquid cooled system.

No, it has bugger all to do with video card or power supplies. It is a program glitch.

Nordmin1

:/

Like TOPD was saying, there IS NO consistent cause... It can happen anytime, anywhere, under any circumstances...

My gut feeling is faulty object memory allocation and deallocation once again. Seems to be a major problem with this game. Just like the smart heap errors (and sometimes even CTDs) which are certainly caused by it. It appears to be a spacial artifact that remains after an object pointer should have been dropped and purged (mem returned to heap). A good question is what causes the multiplication of the "flakes"? Could it be multiple instancing of referenced objects (as opposed to "clones", which are inefficient anyway), and one failing makes them all fail? It removes the actual sprite (or whatever spawned the problem), but it's "footprint" remains at it's last vector(x,y,z). I've seen this happen with DirectX applications that had poor memory management. I've never produced this particular bug in my own work, but I've seen similar things. Always a MAJOR pain to deal with stuff like this. It's pure crap.

I have to say, I feel sorry for the Rats. This is a bad one! Good luck! :D

P.S.- C++ is NOT a toy! Choking Hazard! lol

Edited by keinmann