Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

Probable installer OR executable bug

Wingmann

Ok, so I had this problem trying to make the game work with a fresh install in a clean registry system. I tried both XP and W7 with the same result.

My installation path was F:\BE for XP and F:\BE7 for W7. Neither of the installs worked and I got the same output as related here:

I checked my registry and the only registry artifact left over from the uninstall of v1.29 and its accompanying Playnet was HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / SOFTWARE / PLAYNET which was empty anyways.

The problems regarding the registry which I encountered were after logging in and selecting the game server the following messages occurred:

Registry lookup failed

and ..

No registry entry for game

.. and then the front-end quit.

I have discovered this was because I was trying to run the game from a custom directory/folder ( G:\BgE ) where I had installed it.

It would appear the v1.30 installer does not register the game in the system registry if the install occurs anywhere other than the default location ( C:\Program Files\Battleground Europe\.. )

This is installer (Vista driven?) specific BS.

If you’ve encountered a similar error, confirm you’ve installed the game in its default directory/folder, if not, do so – this should fix the error.

CRS .. please fix this installer issue ASAP.

Cheers,

India-one-one .. OUT!

What I found is that you don't need to install in the default folder (I don't even have a big enough C: drive) BUT you need to install it in at least a folder called Battleground Europe.

What I did was simply to rename my F:\BE to F:\Battleground Europe, edit the registry and change the Path entry and then edit the desk icon to show the new path. Voilá, game worked.

I don't know if the installer is expecting a folder with spaces in it or it HAS TO be named Battleground Europe, but it's borked anyway. I can replicate this without trouble.

Gophur, read your damn e-mails and get me back into beta and this wouldn't have happened :D

Edited by Wingmann