Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

[beta] Dark Terrain Color

galutgolem

Even on a day with very thin cloud cover and the sun high in the sky, the ground all looks like the day is overcast, though I do see a difference between cast shadows and normal lighting.

When I was in England during similar conditions, the fields were bright green.

ATI 4850 Not the latest drivers, yet. (Want to test with old and new, as I've had problems upgrading drivers, before, with this system.) I don't yet appear to be experiencing any of the graphical issues that other ATI card owners are.

Edited by galutgolem

it's france!

I liked it

I was in the training area. Isn't that England? Or did that change?

Whatever the case, it looks like no sunlight (or very dim sunlight) is falling on the ground. There wasn't enough cloud cover to justify that. The sun seemed to be directly overhead.

• 2 weeks later...

It's bizarre to have a discussion about image brightness/darkness without reference to some kind of standard...a calibrated monitor, or better yet an average new LCD monitor with out-of-the-box settings.

The whole reason that night was too dark for half the customers in the early days is that that half had older CRT monitors that were dark. The other customers with brighter monitors, of course, said "hey, it looks fine, what's the problem?"

Industry standards, guys. You need to have some basis for knowing where your customers are coming from. And if you're referencing a standard...tell us, so that those of us that are able, can check our equipment against it and offer more qualified input.

Edited by jwilly

What I don't understand is that in this vast visual overhaul none of the ground textures have been replaced - they have to be one of the oldest art assets in the game and look genuinely dated and awful, close up and from altitude. Surely they would be one of the easiest assets to replace also?

Has the new engine allowed for higher bit depth textures on the ground as it has on models?

As far as darkness goes, I've calibrated my monitor and I can't say it's too dark for me.

Edited by Rubbish

The whole reason that night was too dark for half the customers in the early days is that that half had older CRT monitors that were dark. The other customers with brighter monitors' date=' of course, said "hey, it looks fine, what's the problem?"[/quote']

IMHO think you're off on that one.

I played this game on three separate LCD monitors and the nights were absolutely pitch black to the point where I was literally forced to log out and stop playing when night came every time in the old days.

The only difference that I know of was people who turned up their gamma and people who didn't. I did not and no game should make me alter gamma settings in the middle of the experience just so I can continue playing.

I liked the textures we had back in 2002 alot better, but then for some reason the game had to become gritty and dark so we got these, in my oppinion, much worse ground textures and the game has never really recovered.

I think the grass look moist (in the lack of a better description), and out of place with the new buildings and vehicles.

And I also disagree with the poster above, the game would look alot less cartoony if we had brighter textures.

I liked the textures we had back in 2002 alot better, but then for some reason the game had to become gritty and dark so we got these, in my oppinion, much worse ground textures and the game has never really recovered.

I think the grass look moist (in the lack of a better description), and out of place with the new buildings and vehicles.

And I also disagree with the poster above, the game would look alot less cartoony if we had brighter more realistic textures.

Edited by Fredrik1

Gophur I don't like some of the terrain changes, the airfields look more noticeable from above, it could be a bit brighter IMO and when looking down on the terrain there is some sort of waffle like overlay, which I feel is ridiculous.