Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

Extremely low FPS when looking through binocs at SpeedTrees

Bacon55

I'm aware of the rendering error with speed trees moving, but when I put binocs on my FPS drops from 90 on Dinant hill to 20 and under looking across the river at the speed trees.

I'm aware of the rendering error with speed trees moving' date=' but when I put binocs on my FPS drops from 90 on Dinant hill to 20 and under looking across the river at the speed trees.[/quote']

Yeah i get this to.

I get exactly the same, and always have done. I usually get 40 to 80 FPS in game when there is not much activity. Grab the binoculars and look at some trees it can drop to 20, or even as low as 10. I also find it with other optics, and particularly AAA guns zoomed in. The problem is so severe that I always make sure that I set up an AAA gun well away from trees... if I am tracking a target and a tree gets in my field of view my frame rate becomes hopeless.

Please read up instructions.

Bench mark tests in those instructions are to help them nail down the issues.

They like more info then "me-to".

TY

Please read up instructions.

Bench mark tests in those instructions are to help them nail down the issues.

They like more info then "me-to".

TY

Umm, I think we have got crossed wires here. Is this now just a 1.31 bug report forum, or a live game bug forum? I assumed the OP was talking about the live game, 1.30.3.255 - in which case my "me too" post means "yes it is a known bug, we have had it for years, DOC says speedtrees are a FPS killer, sorry, we can't do anything about it".

Edited by peegee77

Umm' date=' I think we have got crossed wires here. Is this now just a 1.31 bug report forum, or a live game bug forum? I assumed the OP was talking about the live game, 1.30.3.255 - in which case my "me too" post means "yes it is a known bug, we have had it for years, DOC says speedtrees are a FPS killer, sorry, we can't do anything about it".[/quote']

Its all 1.31, becuase hopefully in less then month 1.31 will replace 1.30.

Rats are putting serious effort to fix FPS issues in 131, no matter what the source.

Please read up on the tests and fill out the survey.

Do you imagine for one moment that I didn't do that the moment they were available?

Its all 1.31, becuase hopefully in less then month 1.31 will replace 1.30.

Rats are putting serious effort to fix FPS issues in 131, no matter what the source.

Yes I've done that, I didn't test the speed tree thing until after I did the benchmark, so I couldn't make a comment there.

Figured it wouldn't hurt to bring it to the rats attention anyway to see how many other people are having the same problem.

• 2 weeks later...

I need video card specs guys. Model and amount of ram. Probably want CPU as well but I suspect fill rate issues on the vid card.

I see a drop as well but it doen;t have anything to do with binoculars I don't think. just filling the view frustum with leaves does it.

Turning off anisotropic filtering used to be the fix for this, however I just turned on 16x AF in beta and it made no difference to my fps when looking through binocs at trees.

I need video card specs guys. Model and amount of ram. Probably want CPU as well but I suspect fill rate issues on the vid card.

I see a drop as well but it doen;t have anything to do with binoculars I don't think. just filling the view frustum with leaves does it.

Like Elegance said, I did a bunch of investigations of whether the frame rate is limited by cpu or gpu in different situations and the conclusion seems to be that more leaves -> more gpu load. And binos and leaves is the only situation where I'm severely gpu-limited on my 4870/512 running at 1920x1200.

See the test at http://forums.battlegroundeurope.com/showthread.php?t=305150 (I posted in the Win support forum as I didn't think you wanted random 1.31 experiments in the bug forum)

And I think you're right, it's the leaves and not the binos per se, but somehow the culling/LOD/frustrum shape or something when you look with binoculars at the trees bring so many leaves into view that it seems to bog down even pretty high-end cards. The drop is certainly larger than just standing in front of a bunch of trees with normal view.

2 x 9800GT (in SLi).

It is definately the binos - I can walk in a forrest with about a 15% drop in FPS from open countryside. But looking at just one tree with binos see my framerate drop by 50%+

I got this issue in older versions of the game, but 1.30 didn't see much drop at all (I'd have to go test to see how much); but then my FPS in 1.30 is so good I wouldn't likely notice even a 50% drop unless I was looking for it.

Intel Core i7 2.66 ghz @ 3.8ghz

9gb PC 1333

2x GTX 260 core 216 896mb

Latest nVidia drivers

It runs STALKER with Oblivion Mod and ArMa 2 with mega settings (and extreme view distance) flawlessly.

Edited by Bacon55