Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

Effect of graphic card overclocking on in game FPS

amorosa

@blato: ati+opengl=crap. John Carmack said once, if something doesn't work, he suspects himself as the cause if using nvidia, and if using ati, suspects the driver.

@jaeger: nice to hear.

So there is really nothing I can do about it anymore? Other people running the 4870 run the game fine but the 4890 runs it like crap. This is upsetting as I paid upwards of $300 for my card.

So there is really nothing I can do about it anymore? Other people running the 4870 run the game fine but the 4890 runs it like crap. This is upsetting as I paid upwards of $300 for my card.

Try different driver versions. Try some older drivers and see what works best. ATI have a long track record of driver problems and I don't see any sign that it is going to change. ATI never been that great with OpenGL on the other hand.

If you're building a computer that you'll mostly use for this game you should make it a system with a Intel CPU and Nvidia GPU, IMO.

Try different driver versions. Try some older drivers and see what works best. ATI have a long track record of driver problems and I don't see any sign that it is going to change. ATI never been that great with OpenGL on the other hand.

If you're building a computer that you'll mostly use for this game you should make it a system with a Intel CPU and Nvidia GPU, IMO.

Most old graphic drivers are not compatible with the 4890. I have other games that need the newer drivers as well. I am trying to scrap together funds to put a comparable Nvidia card in this computer.

Most old graphic drivers are not compatible with the 4890. I have other games that need the newer drivers as well. I am trying to scrap together funds to put a comparable Nvidia card in this computer.

No, don't panic. Don't buy a new graphics card just because of that, frames are bound to get a lot better in the final version or maybe a new driver, which are coming out monthly, more or less.

I have a 4870 and get fps that are even a bit worse but don't plan on swapping it out because of that.

Look on the bright side: with ATI you don't get flickering dials and trees.

If the game that comes with the forums doesn't run well with ATI, that's something CRS has to address in software, not you in hardware, seeing that probably almost half of the people here run ATI hardware.

No, don't panic. Don't buy a new graphics card just because of that, frames are bound to get a lot better in the final version or maybe a new driver, which are coming out monthly, more or less.

I have a 4870 and get fps that are even a bit worse but don't plan on swapping it out because of that.

Look on the bright side: with ATI you don't get flickering dials and trees.

If the game that comes with the forums doesn't run well with ATI, that's something CRS has to address in software, not you in hardware, seeing that probably almost half of the people here run ATI hardware.

Well I will randomly get 10-15 FPS with 1.30 now with every graphic setting on low and the CPU stuff also set to low...

If there was anything you should have come away with from the discussion about your frame rate it was that you need to upgrade your 3-year old CPU, not get another graphics card...

If there was anything you should have come away with from the discussion about your frame rate it was that you need to upgrade your 3-year old CPU' date=' not get another graphics card...[/quote']

It's just weird that with this CPU and an older GPU it would run 1.30 better than this one.

It's just weird that with this CPU and an older GPU it would run 1.30 better than this one.

Well, yes, that is weird.

I just posted a bunch of tests that I did with CPU and GPU speed in the Windows Community Support forum. The only situation I get that is really GPU-limited is when looking at the speedtrees through the binos. Your card should handle that way better than mine, check it out. Do the "shadows high" test and then switch to binos and look around in the trees to find a minimum fps spot. When I do that, my FPS go from 108 to 70. If my theory is right your FPS should go up when looking at the speedtrees with binos, to a lot more than the 70 that I get with my 4870.

This question has been addressed in the windows forum.

Essentially somebody used the tests and increased CPU speed and got consistent improvements.

He also DROPPED the speed on the GPU and saw no loss of performance until speed we pretty low.

I have tested this also and it does seem if you have a good card then it isn't really getting pushed (from the tests) but the CPU is full throttle, increase CPU get more FPS.

So it MAY be fair to say right now that buying a really top end card for this game might be a waste and the money saved should be spent on a processor.

I only use a 260GTX and it seems that is plenty good enough.

I also use an I7 920 2.66ghz and this gives almost identical FPS to a E8500 clocked at 4GHZ +

It's interesting as a test but lets all wait for the final version as I am certain it will be a different beast but I was surprised that the card didn't have to do more. Mind you I think that was the point that Jaeger a few years back picked up on and began working on a method to put more load on the GPU and reduce the repetative draws and routines.

Edited by badger77