Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

1.31 Clouds over Factories...

SNIPER62

• CORNERED RAT

i took some screen shots without rain and with rain....

i think they speak for them selves. most factories you cannot see when its raining, and the ones you can you can barely.

CRS are we just going to have to plan on not bombing when its raining or what?

i made comparison galleries of each different countries factories.

Axis Factories

English Factories

French Factories

Edited by GOPHUR

Well since we have 100% accurate GPS and no winds to contend with, maybe someone who's gooderly at math, physics, and some coding, could whip up an app that would tell when to release bombs when you're flying a line of longitude or latitude.

What I think is: It's a real weather simulation.

In reality, during WW2, bombers and fighters didn't fly during bad weather conditions, or, as well, they had a lot of difficulties about vis.....

I know that this could be a bit less funny, but it's just a touch of reality.... good for ground forces..... :)

I like this way ;)

As far as I know, at the start of any day there is a small chance there will be "bad weather". At any point in time on that day there might be rain that will last a maximum of 30 in-game minutes. So, RDP raids won't be as plausible when an in-game day has turned out to be a "bad weather" one. Big deal? Days are pretty short in this game.

And it would be pretty cool to prep for a huge bomber raid that's gonna take a real long time, and do the kind of "Let's pray the clouds part" thing.

Would be fun :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'd really like a ton more comments on this.

The pics are very hard to see. Can you zip them up and place them somewhere I can get them.

DOC wants to be part of this discussion as well.

I'm not sure how bothered I am with cloudy days affecting bombing, at least not until some of you have actually tried to do it when we go open testing. I'll start a feedback thread for that then. But i do want to get a number of factories that are having issues due to regualr cloud cover on clear days.

The clouds don't move, though we might be able to rotate them day to day.

• CORNERED RAT
I'd really like a ton more comments on this.

The pics are very hard to see. Can you zip them up and place them somewhere I can get them.

DOC wants to be part of this discussion as well.

I'm not sure how bothered I am with cloudy days affecting bombing, at least not until some of you have actually tried to do it when we go open testing. I'll start a feedback thread for that then. But i do want to get a number of factories that are having issues due to regualr cloud cover on clear days.

The clouds don't move, though we might be able to rotate them day to day.

ah cool ill see what u can do

thankyou for replying!

ps. u can make the images fullscreen by hitting the button on the top right

ill put them into a different gallery so u can get to the original size

Edited by SNIPER62

Best cloud cover over the British factories on "clear" days, and worst for the French. I did not realise that the "normal" cloudcover obstructed bombing this well.

ah cool ill see what u can do

thankyou for replying!

ps. u can make the images fullscreen by hitting the button on the top right

ill put them into a different gallery so u can get to the original size

That's fine, the current thing is just taking too long to download. I just want the pics so I can count factories that are covered based on side.

Sniper, save the PICs to our FTP or a site like Image shack (making sure you save them as jpeg :)) and then repost them here, or the link to them, the download time will be much quicker.

Edit: Just the Rain ones!

Edited by main4ce

If bad weather doesn't stop bombing it's broken. Besides, you can always use your GPS.

In RL getting 80% of the bombs within a few MILES of the target was a good day. I bet anyone in ww2ol can do way better than that just guestimating from the GPS map.

• CORNERED RAT
If bad weather doesn't stop bombing it's broken. Besides, you can always use your GPS.

In RL getting 80% of the bombs within a few MILES of the target was a good day. I bet anyone in ww2ol can do way better than that just guestimating from the GPS map.

ghey

ps. not u but the idea

The idea that ww2 strategic bombing was at best grossly inaccurate?

That's just fact.

Given the magical GPS units that everyone has in ww2ol, there is simply no excuse to complain about the weather WRT strat bombing, period. Flying at a constant alt and speed, the location of hits is 100% predictable, and the 100% perfect accuracy GPS unit plotting in real time means there is no excuse for missing even if totally blind. Seems like a non-issue to complain that every XX days you won't be able to bomb for a couple RL hours because of weather when real planes were grounded at night, and during any bad weather (combined this is more than 50% of the time).

• CORNERED RAT
Sniper' date=' save the PICs to our FTP or a site like Image shack (making sure you save them as jpeg :)) and then repost them here, or the link to them, the download time will be much quicker.

Edit: Just the Rain ones!

http://www.filefront.com/15362401/Axis-Factories.zip/

http://www.filefront.com/15362741/English-Factories.zip/

http://www.filefront.com/15362841/French-Factories.zip/

Not seeing the factories from above cloudlevel during bad weather sounds logicat to me. This is a good thing.

The idea that ww2 strategic bombing was at best grossly inaccurate?

That's just fact.

Given the magical GPS units that everyone has in ww2ol, there is simply no excuse to complain about the weather WRT strat bombing, period. Flying at a constant alt and speed, the location of hits is 100% predictable, and the 100% perfect accuracy GPS unit plotting in real time means there is no excuse for missing even if totally blind. Seems like a non-issue to complain that every XX days you won't be able to bomb for a couple RL hours because of weather when real planes were grounded at night, and during any bad weather (combined this is more than 50% of the time).

Tater, this is a perfect example WHY this game cannot, must not be true to real life IRT bombing (not GPS).

There MUST be some reward for players to spend at least 90 min and the wrath of other players to do this.

I am not opposed to having rain days that obscure factories, but we need some balance.

Ideas include:

*Weather briefs stating which targets are under clouds.

*Keep those events short over targets.

*Flares/fires on targets to make them visible though clouds (recreating the "Pathfinders", usually small, fast aircraft, that drop Phosphorus bombs at low alt on targets to make it easy for bombers to see target.)+

+Since we do not have load outs on aircraft, it may need phantom pathfinders. When cloud is over target, a flare automatically shows up.

I am concerned by this as well, but I do not have enough time on my work computer, and the Mac beta does not work for me to investigate.

S!