Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

mostly black screen and ZERO FPS...help!

romzburg

His best bet is the 8800GT, that's a early Mac Pro so he can't put a 285 or 5xxx of anything new in it. 4870 maybe.

Sure Apple sells them at a high markup, but so does everyone else for a Mac ROMed card. The manufactures must sell them at a higher price point or someone would discount them. But no one does anywhere. That's why people flash cards (but then you are searching for drivers).

My GT120 is limited at 1920x1200 but if you reduce to 1280x1024 its 50% faster. No way I would use a 30 incher in this game with anything less than a 285 at full resolution. Egads the neck strain would kill you quick anyway.

It's a Samsung 30", not an Apple Cinema display.

The Samsung was only $1240.00, way cheaper than an Apple branded display, and the specs on the Samsung were better, too.

But yeah, I choose to spend my money on this sort of stuff, so I'm ok with spending what I need to. I don't go out to bars anymore, and a lot fewer restaurants than I used to. That saves me a hundred a week, easy. Christmas has been pared down to almost nothing, I used to buy for 9 or 10, now it's just 2. I work at home, so I spend very little on gas compared to everyone else. (The huge monitor makes work so much easier too, I'm in Excel spreadsheets all day every day. 30" means you can see ALL the columns!)

The amazing thing is this card has been running me at 2560 x 1600 up to now, and I've only had really low rates when I get in BIG town battles.

Small battles, and FBs, and countryside hunting EMS and ATG mid 20s to 40s, so no real problem.

But 1.31 needs more horses, so it gets more horses.

Why can't I put a 285 in it? or 5xxx? Is it a physical size/space issue? Or is it PCIe 1.0 vs 2.0? (I read that a 2.0 card should still be backwards compatible and work in 1.0 slot, I think...)

I really need to stay at 2560 x 1600. Lower res doesn't look good, and 1.31 looks so cool, I want to see it right.

Ok, I found:

4870 for $265 shipped

8800GT for $175 shipped

Is the 4870 a significantly better card? Or just a little better? (Or better at all...?)

Thanks for all the info, I'm an ignorant n00b.

Significantly better card. If you can swing the 4870 I would.

For my info, where are you finding these cards? Are they specific Mac examples? I suspect so at that price.

Significantly better card. If you can swing the 4870 I would.

For my info, where are you finding these cards? Are they specific Mac examples? I suspect so at that price.

Ebay, used, PC cards that have been flashed. The sellers have really high feedback rates, so I'm taking the chance. They might even be new PC cards bought specifically just to re-flash, and then sell to Mac users for a profit, but *still* below the official Mac prices.

(Dangit, those manufacturers know us Mac users will pay a premium on stuff that goes in a smooth white box. Or brushed metal.)

The price on Apple's website was significantly more.

They want $349 for the 4870 (512MB), and now I can't find the 8800 mentioned, I thought I saw it the other day...

I just noticed that 2 configurations of VRAM are available, 512MB and 1 GB. The 1 GB version will add $50 to the price...is that something I should do?

Or is 512 more than sufficient for now and the next year or two?

Edited by romzburg

512 is enough for 131. Doesn't hurt to have 1GB.

4870 is better, just be sure it will fit/is compatible in your early gen macpro.

512 is enough for 131. Doesn't hurt to have 1GB.

4870 is better, just be sure it will fit/is compatible in your early gen macpro.

I've seen lots of testimonials on Apple's site in the feedback for that card that says it is. It isn't "officially" supported or whatever, but no one has said it didn't work, and everyone who tried it has said it did.

Also the seller says it is good for every AMc Pro from 2006 onwards. And I've seen that said in a couple different forums.

Reckon I'll probably get the 1GB, make it last as long as I can.

Thanks to all for your input and feedback. I don't know jack about this stuff.