Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

Any chance of getting some coloured smoke?

bundyrum

How would you implement it so that it would be simple for the user?

0ne color per country?

One new weapon with a signal color?

If it was easy we'd have done it. Remember that we haev to send the state information to denote the color as well. That might not be a big issue. have to talk to KFSONE.

Remember that we have to send the state information to denote the color as well. That might not be a big issue. have to talk to KFSONE.

If there are uncommitted packet bits...would this admittedly interesting idea deliver the greatest amount of gameplay-enhancement compared to all the other development ideas that would need one or more packet bits?

I'm doubting it.

If each side (not country) had their own color, that would sure help answer the questions "Is that smoke from their mortars ranging us?" or "Is that smoke from our infantry trying not to die?"

If there are uncommitted packet bits...would this admittedly interesting idea deliver the greatest amount of gameplay-enhancement compared to all the other development ideas that would need one or more packet bits?

I'm doubting it.

Me too. In fact i hardly see any compelling reason for colored smoke at all. I'd rather add more divers map markers like squad or group based ones.

If each side (not country) had their own color' date=' that would sure help answer the questions "Is that smoke from their mortars ranging us?" or "Is that smoke from our infantry trying not to die?"[/quote']

Would that be a good thing?

I'd rather add more divers map markers like squad or group based ones.

Or just a variety of shapes and colours. If we had, for example, the choice of triangle square and circle in orange blue or green, that gives MLs 9 different marks to illustrate mission orders. And the ability to connect 2 points with a line. And maybe the ability to delineate an area and cross-hatch it, and, and.... sorry, got carried away.

Would that be a good thing?

I think "yes".

It is something I am assuming would have been known by WWII troops, wouldn't it have been? I mean in a real environment you have a lot more awareness of things than with a flat computer monitor and stereo speakers.

(Some of us don't have 5.1 or 7.1 on our computers...)

If each side (not country) had their own color' date=' that would sure help answer the questions "Is that smoke from their mortars ranging us?" or "Is that smoke from our infantry trying not to die?"[/quote']It also answers that question for enemy CAS pilots who are wondering which smoke to bomb/strafe—bad idea. I think current military doctrine is to use whatever color is handy, and let whomever you're "communicating" with know which it is, and hope the enemy didn't have the same idea.
How would you implement it so that it would be simple for the user?

0ne color per country?

One new weapon with a signal color?

If it was easy we'd have done it. Remember that we haev to send the state information to denote the color as well. That might not be a big issue. have to talk to KFSONE.

Most efficient, I think, is new weapon, one color (probably red, to stand out)

At some point down the road when the terrain can be made much more visually complex so that ground objects are difficult to spot at all, and aircraft flight models can be made less smooth, and if ground objects are made less side-distinguishable, and if friendly-ground-unit identifiers aren't provided for air players...

And particularly if mechanics are introduced so that friendly quasi-kills result in penalties...

Air players then will (realisticaly) want their own ground forces to mark their positions, and mark where they want ordnance applied.

Marking of friendly and enemy positions for airstrikes is the classic #1 reason for ground units to use the smoke-colors-of-the-day.

That would be an interesting tactical future. But, it's not the present, so we can wait to allocate packet bits to it.

For me color would only have to be client based. Your shots are tracked and show as your color that you selected. The others show up as same old same old. Your shots show up as color in the midst of all the shots.. this is historical in the Navy gunfire.