Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

Armour Kills from HE #3841

macdr50

I know that at least one other player experienced this on Thursday last. I killed a german Tiger or 4G with an HE round from a Church III to the rear quarter above the last road wheel. That shouldn't happen. I only caught a glimpse of him as he was crossing the open area between the veh spawn and some of the new fuel tanks. I was hitting atg's with HE at the time and just took a quick shot without changing to AP. He caught fire immediately. I recorded the kill.

Looks like macdr50 is right. I would have tested the Tiger as well but it was not available to spawn.

h7ppyqoBw3k

The HE rounds will destroy the engine if you hit the right spot; I missed a few times but it only takes one hit.

Ticketed for further testing #3841

note: all high velocity HE rounds of this mass or greater have limited ability to penetrate but they *can* penetrate armour if it's thin enough, and that spot is only 30mm at 90 degrees. We'll do some more checking into it however.

• 3 weeks later...

Testers report correct findings when comparing game data to real world penetration data and armor thickness in this test.

Expected Functionality.

When talking about the HE round fired from an ATG in the 50mm to 75mm class ... all of them can manage (at 0 degrees obliquety, ie: perfect shot) from 39 to 55 mm penetration of armoured plate at short ranges, depending on the gun. PzKw.IVg has only 30mm of side armour on it. Additionally, due to it's higher velocity, the 57mm 6pdr round is one of the best HE rounds against armour at close ranges.

So basically ... if you DO penetrate a tank with an HE round, when it goes off the results are going to be very bad inside that tank. It's like a super APHE round really.

This report was not a bug report.