Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

Bombs in beta are quite weak at this juncture. 1.31.31(latest version as of 4/3/10

samalpar

I havent got around to testing allied bombs yet, but there really is little point at this juncture.

First, let me state I have 12000 kills in a he111. I know what I'm doing. I know whats a direct hit, whats a few feet off and whats a miss.

Testing on a sherman.

4 x 250s, 3 feet off the side front. Tracked. No crew damage.

4x 250 direct hits on the side. Tracked. No crew damage.

Rammed sherman with fw190. Tank crew killed while AA is firing at my plane which is resting on top of the sherman.

6x 250 direct hits on sherman front right, 2x within 2-5 feet, tracked. No crew damage.

I hope this is not the final bomb revision because right now, they do next to nothing to shermans and up.

Also, the horizontal altmeter from pilot 1 position is non fucntional. The bomber position altimeter is always stuck on 1k.

When diving and shooting guns in 110, the gun fire visuals seem to be coming from the window of the plane above the gunsights.

Edited by samalpar

Can someone test those for the allied bombs?

I kinda got tired of downloading 600 Mb with every beta patch so i dont have latest version

Pls Obi one help, you my only hope !

Roger that doc.

Stuka has the same problem with the altimeter. its stuck at 1k .31

I did a short test of DB7 bombs against 4G and StugG.

I was able to get a kill on the 4G, something I have never been able to do before. It was a direct hit.

The fact that I have not killed one before may be that I have not tried much because commone wisdom says that you can kill a tier 2 or higher PZ with DB7 bombs.

I was not able to get a direct hit on hte Stug and got interupted by grandkids so I was not able to continue testing.

I think that for the DB7 the bombs are better right now but I can say conclusly that they are.

Bombs are .. like all ballistic bullets and ordinance in the game, not coded to be "hit and get X result" ... they have to arrive at this outcome while the data travels through the ballistics and damage model rendering ... this is why you see always see a variety of results regarding ballistic concequences of target impacts in game, it's more realistic for the vast majority of outcomes.

With bombs, which should be a lot more like "hit this and do X damage than say AT rounds or bullets are ... it's much harder to obtain this definitive result exactly the same in all instances where there is a ballistic interaction between the round (bomb in this case) and the damage model of the target. Firewalls, components, armour plates, their size and angle ... all these things contribute to changing the outcome to some degree that varies with each different damage and 3D model. None of the "targets" (tanks) are the same and thus different impacts on different parts of the tank can vary the result, where in real life this would be much less obvious.

So what we've been trying to do is stay within that operational functionality of the game engine (because changing it would be like rewriting the whole game and also require that amount of debugging which would equal a very very long time) and arrive at a castrophic outcome so great that if you get a direct hit it doesn't really matter what the individual properties of the 3D or damage nmodel of the tank is, it will be killed anyway.

It takes several patch releases to arrive at that point because you have to move in carefully measured steps to avoid borking the entire system with one change, what we call the law of unintended consequences. Each step is naturally just conservative enough that it remains just this side of too much. Like ranging shots with artillery, you have to have at least 2 or 3 corrections before you get the direct hit. <- pun intended :D

We should be where we want this to be either this patch (.32) or the next one. I think from limited internal testing that we're there already, but we still have to do it online through the cell hosts to be certain.

Bombs are .. like all ballistic bullets and ordinance in the game' date=' not coded to be "hit and get X result" ... [/quote']

Thanks Doc.

I have been paying attention to the school of Doc over the years and I have a reasonable understanding of the problems you face. Let me know if I can help with any testing.

PS Do you have some kind of test rig where you can drop a bomb at the right velocity and angle on a tank to see the results or you have to actually go in the field and drop the bombs and hope you get the direct hit to test the effect?

Does the cloning tool work in the beta and if so, how do you use it? (I missed that day of class) I am thinking of making a 4 by 4 grid of tanks parked nut to butt to increase the chances of a hit.

Edited by chieftom

Cloning does not replicate the damage models nor does it interact with the ballistics system, it just puts a generic shell there using thew 3D art and textures. Will be useless for testing.

Yes I can get 100% direct hits because I can use the debug toolset that goes in the developers client, which you unfortunately can't and we never make that client public.

Cloning does not replicate the damage models nor does it interact with the ballistics system, it just puts a generic shell there using thew 3D art and textures. Will be useless for testing.

Yes I can get 100% direct hits because I can use the debug toolset that goes in the developers client, which you unfortunately can't and we never make that client public.

Thanks.

Not yet, one more change for .34 build and then perhaps we will. Final tweaks came out of todays testing is my fervent hope and desire.

LATE EDIT: one more pull of the vehicles/ammo folder and we're done I think (crosses fingers) ... we had some good testing today both internal and online.