Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

its just the trees and shrubs

jw

I can maintain 50-60 fps as long as I dont look at them or move toward them, when I do it drops to single digits , dont have to be using binocs either, I can fly with 50- 60 fps, can play the game very well anywhere but around the trees and shrubs, anyway to dumb them down just a bit? it would save me and a lot of other guys out there six or seven hundred bucks on a new pc. I have a older mother board with agp interface and have the latest card for that mother board, Yes I can solve it all by just getting a new pc with pci express interface and newer card, but was just wondering since its only the trees and shrubs that are causing the problem, if there might be a way to make them easier for older pc's to handle, and save a lot of us some serious cash. I can run it very well at the lowest res. and turn off all the bells and whistles, but yuk..

Edited by jw

Yes I can solve it all by just getting a new pc with pci express interface and newer card

The problem can occur on even the most powerful machines - throwing money at it won't necessarily solve it.

I can run it very well at the lowest res. and turn off all the bells and whistles, but yuk..

Similarly, a lot of people find that the quality settings don't make a lot of difference. Take a look at this thread and post up your results... the more data we have, the better chance the devs have of doing something about it...

http://forums.battlegroundeurope.com/showthread.php?t=312597

You might need to check all your computer specs match up to what is the new minimum.

If it is below that then i doubt there is anything that can be done.

http://www.battlegroundeurope.com/index.php/component/content/article/10-production-notes/4054-131-system-spec-update#build

This has all the minimum specs as well as a low budget build (assuming of course that your specs aren't quite up to scratch)

You might need to check all your computer specs match up to what is the new minimum.

If it is below that then i doubt there is anything that can be done.

http://www.battlegroundeurope.com/index.php/component/content/article/10-production-notes/4054-131-system-spec-update#build

This has all the minimum specs as well as a low budget build (assuming of course that your specs aren't quite up to scratch)

shouldnt this be enough? proc. amd 64/2 5000

6 gigs ram

nvida geforce 7600 gs

It will run the game just as well as 1.30 except for the trees and bushes , drops from 5o-60 fps to single digits anywhere near them, I know I can spend five to seven hundred bucks for new pc with faster proc and newer graphics card, but my question was since the prob is only with the trees and shrubs, could anything be done about those? It would save a lot of guys on a smaller budget half a grand.

shouldnt this be enough? ... nvida geforce 7600 gs

Sorry man, but that video card is 4 years old and wasn't that hot when it was new. The game normally doesn't stress modern video cards that much except the trees, so it makes sense that you'd see it with the trees. Your video card has a performance of about half of the 6800 which is now listed as the minimum for 1.31. No way around upgrading I think.

Edited by lutorm

People are confusing two different issues here. The massive fps drop is not the fault of the graphics card. It is an ongoing problem with WWIIOL. Sure, you may be able to overcome it by putting in a newer and faster graphics card. In just the same way, you can solve the problem of your boat filling up with water by fitting a bigger bilge pump. But it doesn't fix the basic problem that your hull has a hole in it.

Please stop telling people that the answer to the problem is to throw money at it client side. The problem is in the way the game code uses the speedtrees.

People are confusing two different issues here. The massive fps drop is not the fault of the graphics card. It is an ongoing problem with WWIIOL. Sure, you may be able to overcome it by putting in a newer and faster graphics card. In just the same way, you can solve the problem of your boat filling up with water by fitting a bigger bilge pump. But it doesn't fix the basic problem that your hull has a hole in it.

Please stop telling people that the answer to the problem is to throw money at it client side. The problem is in the way the game code uses the speedtrees.

Yes it is true that the new trees/bushes are having issues in the FPS sense (currently focused on the bino issue), but the OP has stated he has a card below the minimum spec so in this scenario the likeliness of rewriting code will do the OP few favours.

Yes it is true that the new trees/bushes are having issues in the FPS sense (currently focused on the bino issue)' date=' but the OP has stated he has a card below the minimum spec so in this scenario the likeliness of rewriting code will do the OP few favours.[/quote']

Fair comment, if the GPU is below spec then it is reasonable to point that out.

Yes it is true that the new trees/bushes are having issues in the FPS sense (currently focused on the bino issue)' date=' but the OP has stated he has a card below the minimum spec so in this scenario the likeliness of rewriting code will do the OP few favours.[/quote'] never mind
Edited by jw

Yes it is true that the new trees/bushes are having issues in the FPS sense (currently focused on the bino issue)' date=' but the OP has stated he has a card below the minimum spec so in this scenario the likeliness of rewriting code will do the OP few favours.[/quote']

True enough, but Im gonna wager that if you address whatever is causing guys with newer rigs to have their fps drop from well over a hundred to 10-15 fps while looking at trees through binocs, that some of us with older rigs will be able to play with bells and whistles turned off.

True enough' date=' but Im gonna wager that if you address whatever is causing guys with newer rigs to have their fps drop from well over a hundred to 10-15 fps while looking at trees through binocs, that some of us with older rigs will be able to play with bells and whistles turned off.[/quote']

If you look at what people have posted in my bino test (link in sig) you'll see that I there are no cases of people with new machines getting 10-15fps. Yes, there is an fps drop, typically to fps in the 30s and 40s, but the severity of that drop pretty much follows what's expected based on the performance of the cards. Exaggerations do nothing to help find the root cause of this problem.

Note that I'm not saying that they couldn't change the game to make the fps higher, I'm saying that there is nothing to indicate that there are bugs that make some people have abnormally low performance. The game is just asking the card to draw a lot of stuff. I think the reason this is so noticeable is that most of the time the game doesn't really stress the graphics card so people get by with low-performing cards until they run into one of the situations where the card needs to do its part and then the fps hits the floor.

Another issue might be that it seems like none of the "performance" settings in BE actually change the level of detail of the speedtrees. I don't know if that's a limitation of the library, but if the poly count on the trees could be reduced for lower-performing hardware that would help. Currently the only way to get the fps up is to lower resolution and make sure you don't have any driver settings for AA/AF. The fps is limited by the ability of the graphics card to crank out pixels, so lowering the resolution will bring up the fps pretty much in direct proportion to how much the pixel count goes down.

If you look at what people have posted in my bino test (link in sig) you'll see that I there are no cases of people with new machines getting 10-15fps. Yes, there is an fps drop, typically to fps in the 30s and 40s, but the severity of that drop pretty much follows what's expected based on the performance of the cards. Exaggerations do nothing to help find the root cause of this problem.

Note that I'm not saying that they couldn't change the game to make the fps higher, I'm saying that there is nothing to indicate that there are bugs that make some people have abnormally low performance. The game is just asking the card to draw a lot of stuff. I think the reason this is so noticeable is that most of the time the game doesn't really stress the graphics card so people get by with low-performing cards until they run into one of the situations where the card needs to do its part and then the fps hits the floor.

Another issue might be that it seems like none of the "performance" settings in BE actually change the level of detail of the speedtrees. I don't know if that's a limitation of the library, but if the poly count on the trees could be reduced for lower-performing hardware that would help. Currently the only way to get the fps up is to lower resolution and make sure you don't have any driver settings for AA/AF. The fps is limited by the ability of the graphics card to crank out pixels, so lowering the resolution will bring up the fps pretty much in direct proportion to how much the pixel count goes down.

Well of course you can lower the res. and lower the fps, but then the game is so ugly and hard to make out anything. Dont get me wrong, Im going to buy the new rig, when the time comes, I just am wondering how many guys out there who are going to say, you know what I just spent seven or eight hundred bucks on my rig four years ago, and who are on a tighter budget than some of us, and are going to say forget it, I got better things to spend my money on, and if anything on the tree bush issue could be changed as far as the code to make it easier to handle. would be nice.

the 500 dollar list gophur posted is right on, I just spent two whole days trying to find a better bargain, there aint one, just ordered mine only change I made was 4 gig of ram instead of two, and 450 watt power supply instead of the 350 that comes with the case, still under 600 bucks shipping and all, thanks gophur for researching those items

Edited by jw

That card is the culprit, just not enough fill rate for the new speed trees. MARTINI says it probably wouldn't make a differenec even if we could have an option for lower resolution trees but I've planted the seed so we'll see what grows.

Best I can suggest is to make sure you have normals and specular off in .33. Playu also at a lower resolution and see if that helps. I'd reccommend 1024 x 768 for that card.

If you want to throw money at it any of the 4650 or 4670 cards listed here will be a big jump over what you have now and should provide playable frames at 1280 x 1024 maybe a bit higher.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010380048+1069609639+106792627&QksAutoSuggestion=&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&Configurator=&Subcategory=48&description=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=

For a comparison chart look here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-graphics-card,2569-6.html

That card is the culprit, just not enough fill rate for the new speed trees. MARTINI says it probably wouldn't make a differenec even if we could have an option for lower resolution trees but I've planted the seed so we'll see what grows.

Best I can suggest is to make sure you have normals and specular off in .33. Playu also at a lower resolution and see if that helps. I'd reccommend 1024 x 768 for that card.

If you want to throw money at it any of the 4650 or 4670 cards listed here will be a big jump over what you have now and should provide playable frames at 1280 x 1024 maybe a bit higher.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010380048+1069609639+106792627&QksAutoSuggestion=&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&Configurator=&Subcategory=48&description=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=

For a comparison chart look here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-graphics-card,2569-6.html

old pc only had agp interface, ordered the list you posted on newegg, except used 450 watt power supply, nvida gs 250, problem solved