Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

Getting off riverbanks

freuler

We had many issues with this. We set a MS to swim river, take forever to get over the embankment and a few times, I just despawned because I couldn't get over it. Guys in chat where saying go backwards, hit space bar when on top, sometimes it worked, sometimes not. White tiles everywhere when you looked below I'd say a tad below 80 dgrees ( like looking at ground in front of your feet.) AI is brutal, if thats what ya wanted you did good there. lol. Im gonna try to puck up some new DDR sticks tomorrow or Friday, 2 gigs gets ya 20 FPS max, usually between 6-15 when in a hot zone.

Many of the steeper banks cannot currently be cleared. We had a problem where troopers coming over steep berms would have their rifles in the air like flags now that they stick to ground.

We decided to make them go into crouch on steep surfaces to fix this but that made several banks all but impossible to get over.

Just talked to Ramp. We've fixed several places where you could spider man crawl and apparently the kneel on steep slopes doesn't fix the poking over berms issue so we're going to back this feature out for the next release and see what it feels like. I'm going to sticky this for feedback and a focus test when we release that code.

I suppose changing the river bank racial slurs is out of the question?

Ya know, at first Romsburg, you rubbed me the wrong way and I wasn't a fan. But over the past 12 months, you have really grown on me. You're precise, well spoken and although you are sometimes a little harsh, you are most often correct and in proper context with your responses.

indeed he's one of the few voices of common sense on these forums

I can't say [any]thing else [than] that the ban was justified considering that you have an 'impressive' TOS history....
The only thing worse than being talked about is *not* being talked about.

• 2 weeks later...
No body will bother testing anyway so I'll de-stick this.

Totally forgot to test this...sorry.

I will do so this evening.

motormouth:

Much as Romzy's posting style can give me headaches (and the fact that he's "NEVAR WRONG!!"), that post pretty much nails it on the head.

sgtchief:

romz you['re] my damn hero

sydney:

Ya know, at first Romsburg, you rubbed me the wrong way and I wasn't a fan. But over the past 12 months, you have really grown on me. You're precise, well spoken and although you are sometimes a little harsh, you are most often correct and in proper context with your responses.

irelandeb:

pete, linc & julie:

I can't say [any]thing else [than] that the ban was justified considering that you have an 'impressive' TOS history....

owilde:

I spawned into several river towns and had no trouble climbing up the riverbanks.

I cant remember a specific place where you couldn't, or where you popped into crouch, so its possible I tested a bunch of places that weren't a problem anyway, but the places I tested looked pretty steep.

I'm gonna call this one fixed.

motormouth:

Much as Romzy's posting style can give me headaches (and the fact that he's "NEVAR WRONG!!"), that post pretty much nails it on the head.

sgtchief:

sydney:

irelandeb:

pete, linc & julie:

owilde:

Ok tested this Sedan area. v1.31.0.38.

Some results:

First off, I was able to climb even the steepest slopes with prone, you can climb everything with prone.

In each situation I tried to climb over the edge of the slope onto the road.

Some examples:

Prone POSSIBLE, Standing NOT POSSIBLE

unablestanding3.jpg

unablestanding1.jpg

unablestanding2.jpg

Prone POSSIBLE, Standing POSSIBLE

standing1k.jpg

I get the impression that crouch works exactly the same as standing at the moment.

I never got autocrouched, but got autoproned when slope was too steep.

So overall, prone works everywhere, is this intended?

I don't see any game breakers here, nor any annoyances. Just a "reality" comment, in reality I don't think you would be able to climb those extremely steep hills even in prone, but this might be for gameplay reasons?

Edited by hchris

You're supposed to be able to climb them in prone, not standing or crouched.

The problem was that the avatar was getting popped into crouch from prone, causing you to be very visible when you didn't want to be.

Don't focus on the fact that the in-game modeling is very steep for many river banks, focus on the fact that a soldier should be able to crawl out of a river and up a riverbank most of the time. A very steep and perfectly smooth (no hand-holds) riverbank is a rarity.

So this all looks good.

motormouth:

sgtchief:

sydney:

irelandeb:

pete, linc & julie:

owilde:

• Registered Users

This appears to be working the same as in 1.30 now. All but the 90* vertical river banks are crawl upable as of .38.

Yeah, I'd rather go realism but it is a tough sell without art that makes it clear where you can and cannot cross.

I'd call this one fixed too.