Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

Feedback Tank Rounds

dm79

They still feel to large, aiming is hit and miss as the rounds are so large, also you cant see the out come of your shot becuase the smoke does not clear in time.

I found this, the rounds look much smaller, im still trying to see a video from eye sight.

After looking this is much better

and

Edited by dm79

Retest this in 36.

Man I really like the barrel movement in that video.

Do you think the smoke should be less or disappear faster or what?

Retest this in 36.

Man I really like the barrel movement in that video.

Do you think the smoke should be less or disappear faster or what?

I think try and get the smoke as close as you can to the 2nd vid a little way in.

Will test new rounds and smoke, thanks for reviewing this its very refreshing.

S!

just tried tanks in offline mode.

opinion - muzzle flash and smoke are good now.

not too happy with the smoke trailer on the round though. it looks too cartoonish..

maybe lessen the distance you see the "smoke trail" from the round.

watch this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8eTrDdwK48 you will see the tiger shooting, but not the rounds as they leave the barrel.

Sorry for delay on getting back in here.

the smoke clears much faster looks about right, maybe it could be less dense and disperse more, and be more random, the blast at the end of the gun hangs around too long you can see flat lines along the edges, i think the blast needs to be more out than sideways, if that makes sense, pause at 1.15 on the 2nd video for a good blast effect look.

As you also said the smoke hangs on to long behind the round in the air, the round size on the 4g looks much better, one last point when a round hits the ground you get smoke this needs to be a mud splat not smoke imo, im not sure if you have the ability to know what each surface is and thus change the impact animation?

The mg rounds look similar in size to the main gun round, i think they need reducing in size.

Many thanks looking good, sorry if post sounds negative.

Edited by dm79

Nope great feedback. Not sure what else we can squeeze into this release but I tend to agree with all of your comments.

I'm making what I hope is the last pass at these (sizing of tracer rounds rendered "glow" and smoke) for the next patch and then I hope we're done because we still have a lot of stuff to finish and release is running very late now.

My suggestion is to shelve cosmetic stuff like this for the first patch to 1.31 after release, otherwise it's never going to end. I agree that it could be tweaked, I just don't think it's worthwhile to use resources for this purpose at the expense of further delay.

I have no experience in developing game software, but do make a living developing business applications and have found that "complete" is just a convenient abstraction applied against requirements. Software is never complete, it's either evolving or being replaced by something else or the underlying need has disappeared completely.

The beta testing for 1.31 has yielded very obvious results and, at this point, I consider the game playable. Unless there are deal breakers like CTDs, numerous floating/invisible buildings, black holes, dysfunctional weapons, etc. that affect playability, it's time to wrap this up and put it under the tree. First person visual/audio effects that are kind of subjective anyway can be refined later and last minute cool ideas just don't belong in the mix right now.

On the whole, I commend CRS for creating an upgrade that is an order of magnitude nicer than 1.30 and doing a great job of nursing it thru a very extensive beta stage. But the moment has arrived to accept the reality that the release is going to be imperfect no matter how long you keep it in beta and there is going to be something (what, I do not know, maybe just the differences between prod and qa environments) that everybody missed in the beta that comes up within hours or days of release that needs fixing.

Release, release, release!

• 2 weeks later...

Looking to test this as soon as patch is out, just want to say thanks for your efforts Rats.

We went back to the old style tracers (in this v.38 patch) because the new ones were swallowing tons of time (and patches) and still not working right. They were holding up release. They have all been resized.

There will be another change next patch (hopefully the last) where we are shortening the smoke trail "delay" so they decay faster, which should fix the slightly goofy look at the longer ranges as the main gun round goes away from you.

We went back to the old style tracers (in this v.38 patch) because the new ones were swallowing tons of time (and patches) and still not working right. They were holding up release. They have all been resized.

There will be another change next patch (hopefully the last) where we are shortening the smoke trail "delay" so they decay faster, which should fix the slightly goofy look at the longer ranges as the main gun round goes away from you.

OK not sure if I understood this right.

I just tested v1.31.0.38 and it looks like the old v1.30 style laser beam tracers are back in, am I right?

Do you plan on keeping the v1.30 tracers??

Not sure what you're looking for, what is unclear here ?

We'll keep these .38 tracers (since they work for all units which the newer ones we were working on don't) until such time as the new style tracers work well enough to be updated into the game. They have a lot of issues we haven't been able to fix in time for this release.

The aircraft smoke trails are awesome.

I still think I liked the white blob art better.

Main gun rounds maybe smoking too long but not a biggie.

Need to get more of a feel for being fired on or near MGs in live fire.

Still don't like the gaminess of weapons that didn't have tracer getting it but I can understand the atmospheric immersion. Still...