Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

.38 Bullet impact/dust effect too intense?

specterx

The "bullets hitting the ground" effect has been made a lot more intense in 1.31.

Examples below, first screen is a daimler firing coax, second is a hawk strafing. Beta is on the left, 1.30 on the right. Both are taken at midday:

roundhits.jpg

roundhits2.jpg

[see also the textures bug in the beta shots :)]

The size of the puffs of dirt/whatever have been increased (as seen in the first pic) and also made brighter. Note the size of the red box in the first set of pics compared to the gunsight lines. The effect is exaggerated because the colors in 1.31 seem to be generally darker. This is along the same lines of the "dust trails are too bright" issue from a while back.

Call me picky but I always liked the way WW2OL handled this little eye-candy stuff compared to other games (mostly thinking of flight sims, WB/AH/IL2 here). Tracers, muzzle flashes, rounds hitting the dirt, rounds hitting planes, rounds hitting vehicles. In most games these effects have a way of looking tacky, too 'loud,' and generally unrealistic, but 1.30 had it down pretty well.

Personally I think some of these effects look too intense in 1.31, and they need to be toned down a bit. For this effect specifically, the dust probably needs to be darker than in 1.30 since the gameworld is generally darker, and the 'puffs' possibly reduced in size as well.

ghostrider

I think i have the exact opposite view.. if you watch WW2 guncam footage you will see that tracers make huge dust clouds and impact marks when they hit the ground.

I think the dust should come up higher and be change from white to a more muddy/dirt color.

And if possible add dirt particle effects blasting out from the impact zone and more bullet ricochet effects.

KP-_cVgKSG0

Edited by ghostrider

Need to get those trees fixed before I can comment on any shader pics taken on your end BUT I do think they were bumped up a bit.