Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

TrackIR

Therock1

• CORNERED RAT

Yes it can be, you use "N" for free look. It's best in Air Craft to be used, but can be used for other vehicles.

Like your joystick, just make your X / Y axis the head movement of the Track IR.

You'll want the Track IR application running before you launch the game, and keep it running the whole time. Some quick "Track IR" or "TrackIR" searches in the forums and I think you can find more detailed information. 

S! 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 5 years later...

I've since switched to Opentrack but I don't recall my TrackIR 5 having been complicated to set up.

Once you have it up and running on your system, just open the TIR software while wearing your reflector-clip/cap or IR-clip. Next open WW2ONL and enter the keymapper.

Look up "views" in the column on the left and then double click into "mouselook X-axis" on the right to start mapping. Turn your head from left to right while the game is awaiting your input and it should very quickly detect your movement and map "TrackIR X" as your input device for "mouselook X-axis".

Now do the same for "mouselook Y-axis", "nodding"/tilting your head up and down - game should recognize that as well and now display "TrackIR Y" as your controller for "mouselook Y-axis".

Click on "save changes" to make your new mappings stick.

Spawn a plane and while sitting on the runway, hit the "N" key to activate mouselook. You should now be able to look around the cockpit using TrackIR.

Note: You'll have to activate mouselook like that every time you spawn a new unit. Plus WW2ONL will only give you those two axes of movement (left/right, up/down), not the 6DOF you get in more modern games.

S.

Edited by sascha

Don’t forget to map a “re-center” button from within TrackIR. It helps for when you get a bit disoriented during a dogfight.

s!

3 hours ago, aismov said:

Don’t forget to map a “re-center” button from within TrackIR. It helps for when you get a bit disoriented during a dogfight.

Good point. Not only that, but you'll probably need to re-center TrackIR anytime you take off your clip or cap - or even if your clip's /cap's position changes slightly during a session. I've had my clips always mounted to my headsets, so whenever I adjust my headset on my head, I'll need to re-center TrackIR.

Note that, as aismov pointed out, this mapping isn't in WW2ONL's keymapper but in the TrackIR software. I would suggest a convenient, easy to reach button or key - it needs to be one you can reach without having to change your seating-/head-position. Otherwise re-centering would be rather pointless.

S.

• 7 months later...
On 6/12/2017 at 1:08 PM, Therock1 said:

CAN TRACKIR be used in game and if so how do I set it up?

I also have a tutorial that takes you step by step on setting up Track IR  WWW.WWIIOnline.com/tutorials  go to control/settings then track IR top left   https://swiftcdn6.global.ssl.fastly.net/projects/5f41c015af821/index.html?cb=bwg2yb5qpjp2nzarpnjsp9   Or you can go to Youtube Hyoslvrscott I have about 50 videos on how to do stuff in WWII Online and the how to set up Track IR is there as well. 

On 12/12/2022 at 12:27 AM, sascha said:

Good point. Not only that, but you'll probably need to re-center TrackIR anytime you take off your clip or cap - or even if your clip's /cap's position changes slightly during a session. I've had my clips always mounted to my headsets, so whenever I adjust my headset on my head, I'll need to re-center TrackIR.

Note that, as aismov pointed out, this mapping isn't in WW2ONL's keymapper but in the TrackIR software. I would suggest a convenient, easy to reach button or key - it needs to be one you can reach without having to change your seating-/head-position. Otherwise re-centering would be rather pointless.

S.

S! Sacha I have a complete tutorial on how to set up Track IR  on my YOuTube account Hyoslvrscott.com/videos  there are over 50 video tutorials and the track IR one  https://youtu.be/XlKPKiS2pZA   We also have a tutorial link with other videos for newbies to the game with some general info as well at WWW.WWIIONLINE.com/tutorials this is being updated but still has access.  In Case any one is looking for information. 

I have been in this game for 22+ years original beta and I created a free to play account called hyo2 to make videos on how to get into the game etc and now the forums only seem to recognize the free account and not the one I've used for 22 years LOL  

Edited by hyoslvr
make the url show better

Since Hyo necro-ed this thread, I will repeat my top-tip for folks wanting to get into head-tracking:

You don't need to spend the kind of money Natural Point are charging for their TrackIR. There are semi-free alternatives out there that will be quite a bit easier on your wallet.

I'm using Opentrack (which is completely free) with a Delanclip starter set (includes a camera, an all-steel IR-clip and detailed instructions how to set it up with Opentrack). I was on TiR5 + ProClip before and, functions-wise, my current setup offers just as much as the "official" solution from NaturalPoint. Setting it up is a bit more involved, maybe, but there are guides out there that will take you through the process step by step. And once you've set everything up, there's no need to dive back into the settings.

https://delanengineering.com/products/

Complete kit (wired): GBP 50 (plus taxes probably... thanks, Brexit!) :D

Complete kit (wireless): GBP 100

3514504969.jpg

There's also "Trackhat" who offer similar hardware of their own designs - never used them, so I can't comment on their performance.

https://www.trackhat.org/product-page/trackhat-sensor-v2

Apparently, their V2 tracker now uses facial recognition to track your head movement, so that would eliminate the need for an IR-clip, I suppose.

Both alternative solutions have one thing in common: They're cheaper than TrackIR and the Delanclip I use is of much higher quality than the flimsy and "designed-to-break" ProClip that Natural Point sell.

S.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/27/2023 at 8:05 AM, tayvl said:

Will the game ever have VR support, using headsets such as Quest or one of the other platforms?

VR!  Heck I'd be happy if we just had 6DOF support.  It's been promised since about 2010 but no luck so far.  Would be a nice present to the pilots (and tankers) in game if it ever comes out!!!!