Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

Game Play, HC, Production, CRS Planning

Cornered Rats

• CORNERED RAT
Cornered Rats

XOOMCRS is back to the planning table with making big changes to the state of Campaign game play, and the High Command system. In addition we are opening up some new doors relating to content development (production), and some planning for CRS and our future. We're going into some details today about all of these subjects.

eKII?d=yIl2AUoC8zA eKII?d=qj6IDK7rITs eKII?i=WoSboCtZlMY:7oIuYl8hqRU:gIN9vFwOqvQ eKII?i=WoSboCtZlMY:7oIuYl8hqRU:V_sGLiPBpWU eKII?i=WoSboCtZlMY:7oIuYl8hqRU:F7zBnMyn0Lo
WoSboCtZlMY

View the full article on battlegroundeurope.com

• Like 3

I really think that putting town supply back in and putting content creation back in the hands of squads we're gonna see a lot of old players return.

TOEs is dead.

Thank you for listening to our hybrid proposals.  I'm very glad to see that you at CRS went in that direction.  You made the right choice.  Softcapping will be a thing of the past :)

In light of this news, I will be sticking around for the foreseeable future.  

S!

• Like 1

regarding WWIIOL 2.0 perhaps good time to try again a Kick starter after the Steam release and the new population attracted by the game

Good decisions IMHO, but it sounds like implementaion is at least a year away, given the trajectory of the HE audit and new vehicles are taking to get into the game.  Any update as gos when those will get into the game?

Edited by GrAnit

Sounds good.

Just a note on V2.0;  go big at first!

Design the whole world, yes, every continent and ocean, put curvature in, make sure subs could work and trenches/tunnels.  GO for the gusto. Weather too (local areas) - think about this. Waves, fog, mist, snow etc.  Go for it.

Yes, The whole world will be bare land but Ciney and probably a few towns around it... BUT, it gives you everything to grow into with no design limitations later.

Smooth seas, rolling waves, to big storms - let the big ships play and subs stalk.

Also, design multi crew with many player options - like allow up to 10 in a DD to man different areas.  BUT, make sure if 9 die, the one left could still do stuff all around ship, not be cut from weapon systems.  Go Big.

And design so 3rd party can add content, like a railroad gaming company or a sub simulation company.. allow them to add parts.

In short, go very big and grow into it.

As for units, rethink how the flags exist, start at company size or battalion?  allow them to combine or split, be sure to have different types, panzer, infantry mech etc.

Maybe even specialized AA, ART, recon, engr, and tank battalions?  Don't just do 1 generic unit like we have today (the basic division).

Town supply can be generic, but spice up the flag portion.  And be sure squads can have supply.

And absolutely be sure squads can assign ranks to members and group them into teams, that is portrayed in game.  From a single squad to full rifle company - be sure it can be organized.

Edited by delems
  • Like 1

One more thing, no more FBs.

Everything should be capture based.  Divide the world into areas, these areas can be captured, when they are captured the army moves into that area to support the next capture.

No FBs.  Might have to have smaller flags, battalion size maybe?  So that all the areas can be covered.  And yes, towns might have lots of little areas, where country might be bigger size. (except hills, bridges and crossroads areas)

You know, I hope I'm wrong, but I can't help thinking this is a really, really  bad idea. HC's/Brigades/AO's  were/are good ideas, that collectively dealt with a raft of highly unsatisfactory gameplay issues. Whilst it's all too easy to wax lyrical about "the good old days", personally I have no wish whatsoever to revisit them as far as this game is concerned, and I'm damn sure that if squads are put back to being the primary initiator of attacks, that we'll see the return of literally unending gameplay issues that "need sorting".

We've been there before, and why CRS feel the need to waste dev-time on it again is beyond me, when they could be adding content instead.

No-one, I suggest, would claim that HC's/AO's and brigades are anything like perfect, but at the end of the day, they mostly  work, giving ordinary players the chance to join in on a more or less equal basis with squadded players. I have clear recollections of when it was common-practice for various squads to operate more or less in 4 and 5 town areas. You'd get a squad suddenly spawn-in all the decent kit, (whilst exhorting everyone else to resupply!) then when the attack failed, they'd rapidly Foxtrot-Oscar to another full list elsewhere leaving you to mount defenses with whatever was left. It was not conducive to rewarding gameplay at all.

CRS need to rethink this, as I think the plans to return to, or towards,  that, are exceedingly ill-advised, and the expenditure of dev-time on this asinine. Far far better, would be an interim layer of HCing, where newly minted HC'ers, without the powers to move Brigades, can shadow those that can and discuss with them possible brigade moves and how and why they're done. The jump from being recruited into HC to making decisions liable to affect hundreds of players is too great. It'd probably help combat HC burnout as well.

You still have HC, and AO's and Brigades.
But HC wont be relegated to sitting staring at the map for hours, pulling their hair.
They can safely step away from the map, be able to get out in the field more.
And they also don't have to worry that when it's time for them to log, that if the next guy had something come up and can not log in, that the troops on the ground can not carry on until a new commander arrives.

12 hours ago, merlin51 said:

You still have HC, and AO's and Brigades.
But HC wont be relegated to sitting staring at the map for hours, pulling their hair.
They can safely step away from the map, be able to get out in the field more.
And they also don't have to worry that when it's time for them to log, that if the next guy had something come up and can not log in, that the troops on the ground can not carry on until a new commander arrives.

As I said, the principal problem of the HC concept has always been gaining enough bodies to do the job, and keeping them; and that, imho, is almost entirely down to the lack of intermediary jobs for newly minted HC'er's to gain confidence in. I tried HC'ing once, but it wasn't for me. Incidentally, I don't know that it's de rigeuer for HC'ers to "stare at the map" all the time, we had a most successful chap "running the map" last night who was frequently found doing most useful things to help other players  - who in turn were keeping him posted about what was going on. A most necessary situation.

thanks for the clear and honest information. looking forward to how it all works out and please never be afraid of trying something as a beta test in a live campaign or intermission. S!

On 11/14/2017 at 0:46 AM, delems said:

One more thing, no more FBs.

Everything should be capture based.  Divide the world into areas, these areas can be captured, when they are captured the army moves into that area to support the next capture.

No FBs.  Might have to have smaller flags, battalion size maybe?  So that all the areas can be covered.  And yes, towns might have lots of little areas, where country might be bigger size. (except hills, bridges and crossroads areas)

Capture FBs would change this game beyond recognition. It creates a thousand mini-AOs across the map completely free of the campaign, HC, AOs, TOES etc

It's a potential game changer waiting for a little love